What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT to G3X touch worth it?

SVTPete83

Well Known Member
Hi all, I am a longtime lurker and first time poster. This great website has talked me into buying my first plane, a 2009 RV9A. My plan is to do the majority of my IFR training in this plane. The plane is equipped with a garmin gtx345, GTN650, trutrak auto pilot, and a dual screen GRT HX setup. The GRT setup seems to have all the capability I need but after reading the instructions it does not seem very user friendly. I have zero hours in this plane so far but am looking for some advice. If I have the cash, would it be worth stepping up to the g3x? Would it work with the trutrak autopilot? I am quite familiar with all the garmin stuff as that’s what I have been flying with. I am looking forward to officially becoming a Vans owner and learning as much as I can about my new plane! Here is a few pics of the plane and my panel.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/67Mn5Gj8F3ZnXqTw8

Last edited:
Did you mean stepping down? -:)
Seriously, the HX is a fine EFIS. Documentation, not real great. Spend some time getting used to it. Hours, not minutes.
Personally for IFR I like to split the screen, PFD-HSI; but that’s just my preference.
The HX will control the TT autopilot from just after lift off to just prior to landing.
I’m thinking of upgrading my HS to an HX. If you decide to sell yours let me know. I’m close.

PS. Welcome to VAF.

Obviously both Bob and I are GRT guys, but you need to take a step back and spend some time with the Hx. Everything has a learning curve, and GRT does spend more time building than documenting. But it is a hugely powerful system, and help is always available. Call them up and get access to the owners website where the forum is. Its hidden and only for owners, not wanna bees. Lots of info there as well as the existing documentation.

But yeah, you need to spend the time and learn on your own a bit first. Consider it continuing education.
Here's my GRT 12" HXR panel if it helps......Youre in good company!
14js09k.jpg

Last edited:
Obviously both Bob and I are GRT guys, but you need to take a step back and spend some time with the Hx. Everything has a learning curve, and GRT does spend more time building than documenting. But it is a hugely powerful system, and help is always available. Call them up and get access to the owners website where the forum is. Its hidden and only for owners, not wanna bees. Lots of info there as well as the existing documentation.

But yeah, you need to spend the time and learn on your own a bit first. Consider it continuing education.

IFR, you might want 30-40 hrs to learn all the connections well. Same for my G3X. Incredible capability means lots of learning. What happens if, and there are lots of ifs.

Welcome to VAF!!!

I may be a bit biased but having messed with this stuff for a while IMO it doesn't get any better than the panel below. This one has a 750 but the 650 does exactly the same thing but with a smaller screen. Especially if you're already familiar with the Garmin structure/menus the learning curve would be much less than with the GRT. Flying behind this panel is like a magic carpet. If we could just get Garmin to give us an auto-throttle now :D

IMG_7842rev1650.jpg

My personal aircraft below which I got my IFR rating in (felt like I was cheating).

IMG_7793-650.jpg

I may be a bit biased but having messed with this stuff for a while IMO it doesn't get any better than the panel below. This one has a 750 but the 650 does exactly the same thing but with a smaller screen. Especially if you're already familiar with the Garmin structure/menus the learning curve would be much less than with the GRT. Flying behind this panel is like a magic carpet. If we could just get Garmin to give us an auto-throttle now :D

IMG_7842rev1650.jpg

My personal aircraft below which I got my IFR rating in (felt like I was cheating).

IMG_7793-650.jpg

Sorry for the thread drift here. Walt, is that G5 showing engine data? Are you able to customize the elements that it shows? Can it be different than the fields selected on the PFD/MFD? Interested to learn more about how this is done.

To the OP, I have a GRT HXr and will be installing G3X in the new 10. I think the GRT is a great setup, though I liked the HXr much better than the HX. I feel this move is more lateral than an upgrade. Each system has a few things the other doesn't and vice versa. Can't go wrong with either.

Hold on to your money for a bit and form your own opinion of whether or not you like the GRT and how it compares to the Garmin you are familiar with.

Larry

I had a pair of GRT HX in my old RV with nearly 700 hours time behind it and now have a pair of G3X in my new plane.

If it was me, I would NOT remove the GRT, specially if they are the HX model. If they are not HX and was going to do any upgrade, I would spend the money to upgrade from HS to HX.

I also got my IFR ticket with the old plane and flew it IFR regularly.

Just another data point and hope it is of any help.

Stick with the excellent HX pair. You can display geo-centric approach plates right on the screen. You have 16 high speed serial ports and more ARINC 429 ports than you will ever use. You will love the color coded (altitude dependent) airspace alerts (ie class B airspace boundaries are yellow if you are inside, but blue if your altitude has you out of the airspace). The HX will work and control your autopilot and virtually any ADS B system. They work great with the Echo and display the weather and metars/tafs etc. Tech support is a phone call away. I don't know where you are located but find somewhat who knows GRT and can help you sort it out. You will love them I am quite sure.

Currently doing instrument training behind an HX and Mini-X. Mini-x gets left in PFD mode, HX frequently is in MAP or HSI mode. As mentioned above, flying behind this stuff really does make it feel like you're cheating. Engaging the TruTrak autopilot further enhances the feeling.

Yes, you have to learn how the boxes talk to each other. I still haven't mastered several functions, but I'm working on it. Even the basic stuff like climbs and descents at a set airspeed or vertical rate to level off at a pre-set altitude make such a huge difference in pilot workload.

I came to GRT products the hard way, by buying a panel with an old (but never flow) WS screen. I now have no regrets having stayed with GRT products, other than the inadequacy of their product documentation. I've already told Greg to his face that hiring a technical writer would more than pay their salary in increased sales, but that comment seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Their software developers are still writing the user manuals, and it shows. Once you get past that and actually FLY with the equipment you get to see how well those software developers have done in making the pilot's job easier.

I've become a hard core Garmin guy, but it seems hardly worth it to switch from your current set up to a G3x. You'll spend a lot of time learning either system. Nobody makes a bad EFIS anymore.

Convert your dollar to 100LL

Sorry for the thread drift here. Walt, is that G5 showing engine data? Are you able to customize the elements that it shows? Can it be different than the fields selected on the PFD/MFD? Interested to learn more about how this is done.

Larry

I've been trying to convince Garmin to make a G5 that will display engine instr. to no avail, so I installed a CGR30 instead.

Wow! Loving all the response here! I will indeed spend some time with the GRT first. I really would like to meet up with someone familiar with it. I am new to the game and have not done much networking yet when it comes to the aviation world. I live in Napa, Ca and can see the airport from my house. First flight with the GRT and in my future RV9 will be this Sunday with an instructor (he is also current owner of the plane). Then Tuesday will be taking it to the pre buy. If all goes well she should be mine soon! Thanks for all the input. I am sure I will be needed a lot more advice in the future!!

You seem not too far from me or Bob. I don't want to speak for Bob but I will be happy to go for a ride with you and share some of my experience.
As mentioned, I have about 700 hours behind the GRT and love its capability and ease of use. Instrument approaches, specially coupled to the TT auto pilot is made so easy.

You seem not too far from me or Bob. I don't want to speak for Bob but I will be happy to go for a ride with you and share some of my experience.
As mentioned, I have about 700 hours behind the GRT and love its capability and ease of use. Instrument approaches, specially coupled to the TT auto pilot is made so easy.

Ditto. Or maybe more useful, sit in the hangar with external power, and run thru the GRT stuff. I?m at LVK.

To give an example of why I am pleased with GRT I'll provide this little anecdote...

Earlier this week I was doing instrument training with an instructor - the lesson of the moment was unusual attitude recovery. Imagine my surprise when the instructor handed the airplane back to me I looked up at the panel and saw my Mini-X and HX displays showing radically different attitude indications! After a few minutes of diagnosing the malfunction I switched the erroneous HX display to map mode and we continued with the training flight by relying on the rock-solid Mini-X.

OK, so this is a pretty bad situation, right? This morning I called GRT. You know they're busy packing things up to head down to Sun n Fun. Lo and behold I immediately reach one of the GRT engineers who patiently walked me through the next steps to take. He has primed the one engineer staying behind next week that my demo files will be coming via email and that he should analyse them as soon as they arrive.

An equipment failure is troubling, but not nearly as troubling as getting poor support from the manufacturer. In this instance GRT's terrific support is making the difference and has once again shown why I enjoy dealing with a small company that cares. That "personal touch" really makes a difference.

Back