What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into OSH? Required Reading.

Studying the NOTAM

I've got my signs made, and have been studying the 2012 NOTAM. It has occurred to me that just because one has flown the RIPON VFR approaches to Oshkosh many times, it's still a good idea to read and study the current NOTAM. IIRC, I have been a passenger on the following approaches in different years: 9, 27, and 18R. I have been PIC on approaches to 9 and 27. As i studied the different approaches, i realized that I have never flown an approach to either 36L or 36R.

AND... I just noticed that there are TWO totally different VFR approaches to 18R. I'll let you study the NOTAM to see what I'm talking about.

There are many subtle notes that have been added or modified through the years, so it would be time well spent to study and highlight your copy of the NOTAM before next week.

Also, the previous comment about taking a pit stop about an hour before arriving at Oshkosh is a good one. The very best experience of all the approaches into Oshkosh I had was in 2006, when due to scuzzy weather on the way north, I decided to stay overnight in northern Illinois. In the morning the weather was CAVU and I arrived at Ripon just after 7:00 AM, and there was absolutely no one other than the Controllers on the frequency from Ripon to touchdown at Oshkosh. It was beautiful.

Last edited:
Hmmm - I just realized that I haven't seen our NOTAM copies arrive in the mail yet - I guess I am going to have to fire up the printer pretty soon if the Pony Express doesn't get them here!

Last edited:
Hmmm - I just realized that I haven't seen our NOTAM copies arrive in the mail yet - I guess I am going to have to fire up the printer pretty soon if the Pony Express doesn't get them here!

I received mine a couple weeks ago, although it doesn't look like I will be going as I'm having a mag issue I can't seem to correct.

Two questions

1. I want to leave HBP before the airshow starts (NOTAM says 1430 and web says 1530). What time should I start taxi?
2. Where on the airfield is the HBP? I can't seem to pick it out of the 2012 poster/map.
thx,
Don

Two answers

1. I tell everyone that they should be wheels rolling by 1:30PM (1PM is better) if they want to depart. The show may not start until 3, but usually around 2 they shut down 18/36 for the showcase, and all departures get routed the long way around to 9/27, where they have to zipper in with North 40 departures. What if 1,000 other pilots had the same idea to leave at that time? Best to leave plenty of wiggle room.

2. HBP is not shown well on the map. Starting on the flightline at the west ramp taxiway (Aerobatic aircraft parking on the map) it proceeds north along the flightline to the P-1 taxiway (near warbirds) where it turns west and continues all the way west out to the airport fence (Foundation Road on the map.) Much of what is labeled Homebuilt Camping on the map is actually part of the parking area, and the border between the two is flexible based on how many aircraft show up for each.

Comment for newbies.

For those flying in for your first time the notam and the eaa videos they just posted (shows fisk, ripon etc) are excellent and pretty straight forward.

One thing that threw me a bit last year was when departing and you have your brief and then the helpers to get you out to the runway....there is NO place or time for run up checks. We kind of assumed at the end of the taxi, before getting out on active there would be a place or time to spin around and do run up. Nope. Tons of people on scooters, standing etc with flags, just pushing you and a big line infront and behind...no time. They are in a big hurry to get you out, and gone..thats their job. Just ensure you have done a mag check, etc literally on the fly as you taxi and your copilot has run the checklist off for you so you are safe to go. So rushed and exciting that its easy to miss something and not latch a canopy etc. Be safe.

That was the only issue I wasnt ready for last year. Look forward to a sea of rv's.

For departures the airport opens at 6am ,no scooters no flag people no lines . I call ground they tell me to taxi to runway in use then FAA will direct takeoff, very easy,

One final thread bump. I'm heading up to Oshkosh in a few hours to get everything ready for your arrival. Look forward to seeing you all in a few days.

I noticed that this thread has had over 2,000 new views since it got bumped a couple of weeks ago. I hope the advice contained in here (especially Rick Durden's article from post #1) gives everyone some food for thought and makes everyone a little safer.

Fly safe and READ THE NOTAM!!!!!

...there is NO place or time for run up checks...

...Just ensure you have done a mag check, etc literally on the fly as you taxi...

An old timer once told me "do all yer mag checks at 100' AGL and you won't get so many gravel chips in yer prop!".

2013 Thread Bump

With Oshkosh only a couple weeks away, it's time to bump this old thread again. Anyone planning to fly in should read this thread again, especially the articles in post #1.

Hope to see you all there shortly. Fly safe and READ THE NOTAM!

This will be my first year flying in. I've read Rick Durden's column at least three times. So far I've given myself two training flights, with at least one more to come before the big day. Just yesterday I went out and in spite of bumpy air and shifting winds, I plunked the Archer I'll be flying on the numbers four times in a row before the low clouds drove me back on the ground.

In short, I'm bound and determined to not be That Guy. See you all up there!

In short, I'm bound and determined to not be That Guy. See you all up there!

+1;) Some of the stories are really amazing - not reading the NOTAM, calling up Fisk approach like a normal VFR flight, etc. I have read the notam multiple times, scoured the Oshkosh site and the net, watched the videos, searched old topics here, and ordered my hard copy NOTAM - will conduct a few prep flights this week and next.

I have searched, but have a few questions for Oshkosh vets:

- The official dates are 29 July - 4 August. How early are you able to fly in? I see the schedule for Sat has a/c groups flying in, so assume Sat is not too early for individual arrivals. Planning on HBC beginning Sat, 27 July.

- Related to the last comment, I was planning on overnighting short of OSH and arriving early Sat AM due to 1) dates I am available, 2) thinking Sat AM wouldn't be super hectic arrivals - any thoughts on arrival day/time?

I will be solo, so I'm looking for a 'slow(er)' arrival time. I consider myself a pretty proficient aviator, and the notam is straightforward. The procedure is pretty clear, but I won't lie and say that some of the horror stories don't have me on edge. I figure, like a go around, worst comes to worst, exit the cue, clear the area, and reenter Ripon...

In my experience, early morning (8am) is the best (least crowded) time
to arrive. The horror stories from my trips into OSH were all late morning
early afternoon arrivals. The last time (2009), we arrived over Fisk
just before 8 am, and we were the ONLY plane between Fisk and OSH!

+1;) Some of the stories are really amazing - not reading the NOTAM, calling up Fisk approach like a normal VFR flight, etc. I have read the notam multiple times, scoured the Oshkosh site and the net, watched the videos, searched old topics here, and ordered my hard copy NOTAM - will conduct a few prep flights this week and next.

I have searched, but have a few questions for Oshkosh vets:

- The official dates are 29 July - 4 August. How early are you able to fly in? I see the schedule for Sat has a/c groups flying in, so assume Sat is not too early for individual arrivals. Planning on HBC beginning Sat, 27 July.

- Related to the last comment, I was planning on overnighting short of OSH and arriving early Sat AM due to 1) dates I am available, 2) thinking Sat AM wouldn't be super hectic arrivals - any thoughts on arrival day/time?

I will be solo, so I'm looking for a 'slow(er)' arrival time. I consider myself a pretty proficient aviator, and the notam is straightforward. The procedure is pretty clear, but I won't lie and say that some of the horror stories don't have me on edge. I figure, like a go around, worst comes to worst, exit the cue, clear the area, and reenter Ripon...

We really think alike here. I'll be flying most of the trip Friday afternoon, getting a good night's sleep (and a full bag of gas) about an hour out of OSH, then doing the last leg early Saturday AM. It helps a lot that my wonderful partner is also a pilot (albeit rotary), so I'll have some good in-cockpit help from her.

:)

so I'll have some good in-cockpit help from her.

:)

Thanks for the info, Tom - hoping to have a similar arrival.

Being solo is my biggest motivation for knowing the arrivals cold - not the time to have eyes inside trying to review the arrivals.

For those of you who are Mac McClellan fans, his Left Seat Blog this week is on the Fisk arrival and practicing landing long - good, short read.

wristband question...

This year will be my first flying into oshkosh. Because of work commitments I'm only going to make it for the last weekend. My plan is to arrive after the airshow Friday and leave Sunday morning and stay in HBC.

My question is will they make us purchase wristbands for Friday and Sunday?

This year will be my first flying into oshkosh. Because of work commitments I'm only going to make it for the last weekend. My plan is to arrive after the airshow Friday and leave Sunday morning and stay in HBC.

My question is will they make us purchase wristbands for Friday and Sunday?

No. The booths will be closed by the time you are tied down, etc. on Friday, so you won't even have the ability to buy bands on Friday. You won't need a wristband on Sunday unless you plan on staying beyond 10:00 (IIRC). And for fly-in visitors, the 10:00 mandate isn't enforced particularly stringently...

You can come in on Saturday any time and it will probably not be very busy (by Oshkosh standards, anyway.) The field will be closed temporarily for the various mass arrivals but those times are published and should be easy to plan around.

The standard disclaimer applies, and has been discussed on other threads: You are arriving two days before the event starts, so don't expect the on-field food venues, transportation and other infrastructure to be fully up and running. Plan accordingly. There are enough folks in HBC by then that you should be able to bum a ride somewhere for dinner if needed.

Final thread bump

One last thread bump before the big show. This thread has had around a thousand views since last week, which is a good sign.

Hope to see you all there in a few days. Fly safe and READ THE NOTAM!!!

Thread bump for 2014

With Oshkosh coming up in just a few weeks, it's time to dust off this thread once again. Particularly if this is your first time flying to the big show, please go back to post #1 and read the information there.

Look forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks. Fly safe and READ THEM NOTAM!

Thanks for that post Jeff, it fits my situation perfectly. I have been thinking about making the pilgramage to KOSH for 20 years now. This year I have prepaid accommodation, and am flying my recently completed 7A. I would have gone last year, but my co-pilot was too embarassed to show up without paint!

Jay
C-FXPT

A resource I found to be very helpful when planning my first fly-in last year was the webinar EAA does. It's a very good overview of the arrival procedure, and I found it immensely helpful in taking the raw information from the NOTAM and turning it into real-life useful knowledge.

Between that webinar, studying Google Earth, memorizing the NOTAM, and so forth, when I arrived at RIPON, it felt like I'd been there already.

Missing the simple answers

Been doing a lot of reading for my OSH trip this year.
I am sure the answer is staring me in the face somewhere but rather than be the one who is remembered about doing something stupid in OSH
I 'd prefer to be remembered for asking a stupid question.
Planning a Wednesday July30th evening arrival.
Notam says TFR 8PM to 10PM??
Generally the airport opens for arrivals and departures morning and evening.
I am desperately trying to find scheduled opening and closing times specifically for Wednesday July 30th.
Anybody point me to some info?:eek:

I am sure the answer is staring me in the face somewhere but rather than be the one who is remembered about doing something stupid in OSH
I am desperately trying to find scheduled opening and closing times specifically for Wednesday July 30th.

Page 1 of the NOTAM. The TFR that you are looking at for the PM is for the night airshow. What you are interested in is the paragraph top right of that page first, field closed daily from 8pm to 7am. Then, you are interested in the Airshow times, daily 2:30-6pm. So your window is approximately 7am-2pm (be down and shutdown well before 2 though).

edit: sorry, I missed the "evening" part. So, your window is even tighter. The field usually opens 30min after the afternoon airshow (bottom of page 1). So your approximate window is 7pm - 8pm. That could get very iffy. You might want to adjust your plans.

Last edited:

Copy Paste from the 2014 NOTAM: (I added BOLD to highlight.)
Wittman Regional Airport (OSH) Flight Planning Beginning Friday, July 25, 2014, OSH is closed to all arriving aircraft from 8:00 PM until 7:00 AM CDT daily.

--- insert copy paste from NOTAM ---
Aerobatic Demonstrations/Airshow Times The Aerobatic Demonstration Area is from the surface to 12,000? MSL within a 5 NM radius of Wittman Regional Airport and expected to be active during these times:

2014 Oshkosh Airshow Times
Monday July 28 thru Sunday, August 3: 2:30-6:30 PM CDT
Wednesday, July30: 8:00-10:00 PM CDT
Saturday, August 2: 8:00-10:00 PM CDT

Wittman Regional Airport will be NOTAMed closed and all aircraft must remain clear of the Aerobatic Demonstration Area when the area is active. Check the Arrival ATIS (125.9) to determine when the airport is reopened. Arrivals at Wittman Regional Airport are normally resumed 30 minutes after each afternoon airshow.
Be alert for last minute changes to previously issued clearances or anticipated procedures.

--- insert my comment ---
Reading the NOTAM sections that I inserted above, it sounds like the field MAY be open from 7 PM to 8 PM on Wednesday July 30 2014. Everything is subject to change.

Understood, no question.

Copy Paste from the 2014 NOTAM: (I added BOLD to highlight.)
Wittman Regional Airport (OSH) Flight Planning Beginning Friday, July 25, 2014, OSH is closed to all arriving aircraft from 8:00 PM until 7:00 AM CDT daily.

This was my understanding until I re- read the notam over again.
I will be in the at a nearby airport around 10 or 11 am.
Page 1 of the NOTAM. The TFR that you are looking at for the PM is for the night airshow. What you are interested in is the paragraph top right of that page first, field closed daily from 8pm to 7am. Then, you are interested in the Airshow times, daily 2:30-6pm. So your window is approximately 7am-2pm (be down and shutdown well before 2 though).

2014 Oshkosh Airshow Times
Monday July 28 thru Sunday, August 3: 2:30-6:30 PM CDT
Wednesday, July30: 8:00-10:00 PM CDT
Saturday, August 2: 8:00-10:00 PM CDT
Note: TFR?s expected Friday-Sunday, August 1-3

What through me off is the Notation under airshowtimes in the above notam excerpt:

Wednesday, July30: 8:00- 10:00 PM CDT
Aerobatic Demonstrations/Airshow Times The Aerobatic Demonstration Area is from the surface to 12,000? MSL within a 5 NM radius of Wittman Regional Airport and expected to be active during these times:

Still not sure why it is listed differently for Wednesday and yet it is expected to be open until the 2:30 airshow?
Thanks for the clarification and I am planing to arrive before noon on the 30th.

An alternative

...Planning a Wednesday July30th evening arrival.
I am desperately trying to find scheduled opening and closing times specifically for Wednesday July 30th...

Why not plan to arrive at 7:00 AM on Thursday, July 31? You can stay as far away as Dekalb, Illinois in a nice hotel, pre-flight during sunrise and be in the air by 5:45 AM, rested and ready to fly. I've done that twice, with absolutely no other airplanes between RIPON and KOSH both times.

One last thread bump before Oshkosh. Looking forward to seeing everyone in a few days. Fly safe and READ THE NOTAM!!!

Thread bump 2015

Oshkosh is a week early this year, and so is the annual bump for the "Required Reading" thread. If you're flying in to the big show for the first time (or the 10th) you really owe it to yourself and all of us to spend some time reading. Start with post #1 and a big cup of coffee. When you finish, go back and reread Rick Durden's column again.

Hope to see everyone in a few weeks. Fly safe and READ THE NOTAM!!!

I'd like to add one thing given what I experienced last year. PLEASE make sure you adjust your altimeter prior to Ripon to the current pressure. You might THINK you're at 1,800 MSL but be off enough to be right on top of someone else.

2016 thread bump

With the big show just a few weeks away, it is time for the annual bump to the top. If you are flying into Oshkosh, especially for the first time, please take the time to go back to post #1 and read the entire thread. There is valuable information in there, which will make your experience more enjoyable, and could even save a life.

This is going to be a big year for RVs. We have gained some new real estate in the homebuilt parking and camping areas, so there is plenty of room for everyone. See you in a few weeks. Fly safe and READ THE NOTAM.

With the big show just a few weeks away, it is time for the annual bump to the top. If you are flying into Oshkosh, especially for the first time, please take the time to go back to post #1 and read the entire thread. There is valuable information in there, which will make your experience more enjoyable, and could even save a life.

This is going to be a big year for RVs. We have gained some new real estate in the homebuilt parking and camping areas, so there is plenty of room for everyone. See you in a few weeks. Fly safe and READ THE NOTAM.

Jeff,

You mentioned earlier that the procedures may change this year for HBC based upon the new real estate.

Can you share them yet? Especially the changes?

I've enjoyed the last two years being able to tell your folks my preference in parking in HBC. I like to be as far east as I can in HBC.

thanks,

bob

ADS-B

I have read the NOTAM at least 20x. On the table of contents page listed in the "Changes for 2016" there is a clarification of ADS-B out usage bullet point. I can not find any detailed "clarification" other than as approaching FISK the transponder does NOT need to be placed on STBY. Am I missing anything?

I have read the NOTAM at least 20x. On the table of contents page listed in the "Changes for 2016" there is a clarification of ADS-B out usage bullet point. I can not find any detailed "clarification" other than as approaching FISK the transponder does NOT need to be placed on STBY. Am I missing anything?

It's not well stated in the NOTAM:

"Approaching Ripon
Ensure lights are on, and all non-ADS-B equipped aircraft set transponder to Standby within 30 miles of OSH."

During the EAA webinar a few weeks ago they said that if you have ADS-B out you must have it on.

Some of my experiences.

All of the previous posts contain some great advice. The following is aimed at the newbies and will include some redundancy. It will also add some decision making points during all phases leading up to the final approach. Hope this helps those who are apprehensive but wanting to experience this great event.
Before I start, you can be assured that I have some experience landing at OSH. I have landed my RV9A at OSH every year since 2004 and took the C172 to OSH in 2003. I have left OSH during the week and returned about 10 times over the years. Every time you land at OSH, you have to use the VFR Ripon approach. I?ve witnessed some bonehead moves over the years. You have to be ready to pitch out and go away if needed to stay safe.
Read and re-read the NOTEM. Print the pages that apply to you. I also download it into my Ipad.
Best time to arrive is early in the day, 7 am to 9 am. Before arriving at Ripon, start early listening to the AWOS. Listen to Fisk approach long before you get there to get a feel for the traffic load, what runways are open or closed and what runways are in use. Go to the pages in the NOTEM relating to those runways. Have the frequencies handy for each approach. Have your head on a swivel on approaching Ripon and beyond. Slow down and trim for slow flight before you get to Ripon. Get in line behind a plane starting toward Fisk. A second set of eyes in the cockpit is handy right about now. If it looks too crowded, turn away and come back for another try in a few minutes. Maintain radio silence before getting to Fisk. Only transmit if you have an emergency. Have a plan to go to another airport in case that becomes the best course of action.
I have turned away and come back many times over the years. Even though you may be in line and maintaining your ? mile interval with the guy in front of you, you still may have to turn away. Watch for boneheads that either don?t know or are simply jerks that will slide into line right in front of you spoiling your interval. If you think your interval is wrong, don?t wait to get to Fisk and have them tell you to turn away, go ahead and turn away and start over. If you turn away, go back to Ripon. (One time I was turned away 3 times before making it past Fisk. It was because the airport was closed for an accident and the traffic at Ripon stacked up badly. If that happens to me again, I will go somewhere to have lunch and come back in a couple of hours or even the next morning.)
One time I was told to turn east at Fisk and half way to Runway 36 and a guy in a high-wing came from the south and jumped right in front of me. I lucked out because there was a big gap behind me, so a quick 360 put me back in line with a good interval. Don?t count on that. Be prepared to go away and start the process all over. If this happens, just chalk it up to bad luck and don?t get rattled or mad. If you try a few times and the stress is starting to get to you, seriously consider going to another airport to fuel and lunch and cool down and come back later to try again. You?ll make it in eventually. Better to be late and alive. (If you have people waiting for you at OSH, call them so they don?t worry about you.)
Runways: I?ve landed on them all. Some are easier than others. The easiest is runway 9; straight down the railroad tracks and a slight turn and you?re on the approach. You must land like on a straight in approach. (So practice some straight in approaches at home.) Runway 27 is also easy. It?s a right hand approach. Listen for the controller when you?re half way down the down-wind. Rock your wings to let him/her know you are listening. No transmitting. They will tell you when to turn base and also tell you which dot to land on. (It might be a good idea to practice at home staying in the air 20 ft off the runway to get to your dot.) One thing about 27, they bring the IFR traffic straight in off the lake. One time, I was on base and the controller told me to turn away to the north because there was a plane on final off the lake. I flew along the runway half way between the downwind and the runway and found a gap in the line to slide into. (If I hadn?t found that gap, I was prepared to go back to Ripon.) Now I?m back in line and turning base again and I look to my left and what do you know? Another straight-in off the lake will be way too close for comfort. This time the controller missed it completely. I immediately turned short along the runway between the downwind and runway and announced to the controller what I was doing to avoid traffic. He admitted he didn?t see the traffic and said ?good call?. Again I found a gap and didn?t have to return to Ripon. (Remember, if you have to turn out, always maintain your speed to insure you maintain control.) One thing I don?t like about 27 is that you have to turn off to the right into the grass after landing and taxi in the rough grass.
Runway 36 is also very easy. Only once did I have to use 36 Right. If I have a choice (sometimes when the traffic is light, Fisk will give you the choice.), select runway 36. You will be landing in front of the biggest crowd, so make it a good one. I always land long if they will let me because I don?t like taxiing in the ?ditch? It?s a little bit rough so go slow. At least it?s not grass.
After landing, have your parking/camping sign ready to display during taxi. Every taxi controller will be looking for it.
These are just some of the tips I can think of to help build your confidence.
Some Departure tips:
Again, read the NOTEM on departure procedures. Get a departure briefing. Do a really good pre-trip before you pull your plane out into the aisle. Pulling your plane out into the aisle keeps you from throwing grass on other planes when you start-up. It also alerts the escort guys to come over and help you taxi. Never start your engine before an escort is with you. Put your VFR sign in the windshield for taxi. Pay attention to what freq you are supposed to be on. It?s different for each runway. When stopped during taxi, turn 45 degrees so you can see front and rear. Watch your altitude after leaving the runway until you are out of the area.
Have a great time at OSH. You earned it.

While reading the NOTAM this afternoon, I noticed a URL on the bottom:

For more information, visit www.eaa.org/atc

Apologies if it's been mentioned before-- this is the first time I've noticed it, so I thought I'd post the link here. It's a compilation of tips written by the controllers so you can learn more about the big picture from ATC's point of view and why the procedures work the way they do. I've flown into the show many times, but found it very interesting! I think it would be a great eye opener for the first-timers.

I thought this was cool: ATC is far more likely to identify all short wing fixed gear aircraft approaching Oshkosh as an RV than anything else. Made me think of the offended T-18 drivers I seem to hear every year on the tower freq. :D

+1 on Katie's link - if you've never flown teh approach - or if youhave done it a bunch of times, those links are great ways to learn the WHY of the procedures so that they make sense.

Paul

I thought this was cool: ATC is far more likely to identify all short wing fixed gear aircraft approaching Oshkosh as an RV than anything else. Made me think of the offended T-18 drivers I seem to hear every year on the tower freq. :D

This is kind of amusing regarding how things change over time............

When I flew my RV-6A into OSH for the first time in 1993 it was one of the first half dozen or so 6A's to be completed, so we understandably got referred to by all of the controllers as a Grumman.

Years later I many times heard Grumman owners complain that they were always being refered to as an RV :D

That said, I have compiled a list of required reading materials. Anyone flying in for the first or twentieth time should take the time to read all of them. You?ll no doubt learn something, and it will make the experience better for you, and for everyone else at the same time.

2. .......... (Click here for a non-password required, text-only version)

The above text only link no longer works

While reading the NOTAM this afternoon, I noticed a URL on the bottom:

For more information, visit www.eaa.org/atc

Apologies if it's been mentioned before-- this is the first time I've noticed it, so I thought I'd post the link here. It's a compilation of tips written by the controllers so you can learn more about the big picture from ATC's point of view and why the procedures work the way they do. I've flown into the show many times, but found it very interesting! I think it would be a great eye opener for the first-timers.

When we flew in the first time in 2013, there was an Extra behind us coming up the tracks to 27. At Fisk, they called him out as an RV and he keyed the mike to let them know he was actually an Extra. Fisk controller completely ignored this.

The same thing happened once we were in the downwind for 27; they called him out as an RV, he corrected them, etc. As I turned final, a different controller came up on the frequency, and did it again.

"RV just turning final, cleared to land on the green dot."

"Extra."

"Say again?"

"Aircraft turning final is an Extra."

(slight hint of sarcasm) "You're an Extra? That's great. Put it on the green dot please."

Back