What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rig pins vs. hardware bolts for wing rigging?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
This afternoon, my brother in law came over and we installed the wings for the first time. They are currently on the plane with three rig pins in each wing made from 7/16" hardware store bolts with the threads cut off.

is there any reason that I would have to replace these with actual bolts and torque down nuts on them before measuring and drilling the aft spar? locating nutplates etc?

I'm guessing the answer is no, but just wanted to throw it out there in case I'm missing something.

I didn't put in the real bolts or install any nuts until the day I installed the wings for good. You should be fine with drift pins until then.

If you are building a 7, there are some aspects of the fastener callouts in the plans you may want to consider before you drive the bolts in: http://www.rv7blog.com/2021/07/31/wings-attached/

I also used temporary rigging bolts with the threads cut off so they wouldn't damage the holes and the ends rounded over to bullet shape and polished smooth, as well ws some 3/16 dia steel pins. I did use some C clamps to clamp the spar up against the bulkhead while measuring and drilling the rear spar holes that set the sweep and incidence. I don't know if clamping was really necessary but it cost nothing and took only a few minutes, for peace of mind, if nothing else.

Attachments

• 20220702_164318.jpg
    20220702_164318.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 92
Back