What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ISO scat hose adapter

pazmanyflyer

Well Known Member
ISO scat duct adapter

Looking for a 45° scat tube adapter for my heat muff. Anyone know a source?
Or I could have the flange removed and a new flange rewelded at an angle. Any aluminum Tig welders in the Phoenix, AZ area that could help out?

Scat / mount interference.

PXL_20220910_201942460.jpg

90° example - 45° version wanted.

08-00863s.jpg

Last edited:
What size scat hose? I may have one.

You could also “weld” the scat hose to the engine mount tube with some red high temp RTV, making sure you leave a little slack in the hose to account for engine movement/shake relative to the engine mount tube.

Last edited:
What size scat hose? I may have one.

You could also “weld” the scat hose to the engine mount tube with some red high temp RTV, making sure you leave a little slack in the hose to account for engine movement/shake relative to the engine mount tube.

2" scat. The problem is the current location of the straight up rear flange holds the scat bend (almost 90°) onto the mount and does not allow any slack. Trying to direct the hose away from the mount to make the clearance so there is no contact between them. Then all is solved and no RTV required.

Last edited:
Scat adapter

Carlos,

You might try calling Dave Edwards at Custom Welding, (702) 306-3590. He makes the custom experimental heat muffs for Acft Spruce. He made a custom heat muff for me and I don’t think he’ll have a problem making your adapter.

FWIW

If you go the "custom" route - you can have any angle offset you want, i.e. if the 45* number you were using is because you thought one might be available (pre-made). But if that isn't exactly what you need, now's the time to make the "perfect" fit.

Just Sayin'

HFS

Can't you just rotate your heat muff on the exhaust pipe 45 degrees? The light outer shell of the heat muff can rotate on the end-cap pieces to any position you like. Perhaps your heat muff is not round?

Try Rick Robbins

Hi Carlos,

You might contact Rick Robbins of Robbins Wings/(303) 423-7002). To my knowledge, he is the supplier of Van's heat muffs and can make a customized muff with outlets clocked to your specifications for a very reasonable price. He did that for me. Clocking the outlet differently eliminated the need for an elbow.

-Ivan

Adapter

There must be two suppliers to Acft Spruce because when I ordered the heat muff on their website they had me contact Dave Edwards because I wanted a custom setup for the intake and exhaust.

Hi Carlos,

You might contact Rick Robbins of Robbins Wings/(303) 423-7002). To my knowledge, he is the supplier of Van's heat muffs and can make a customized muff with outlets clocked to your specifications for a very reasonable price. He did that for me. Clocking the outlet differently eliminated the need for an elbow.

-Ivan

Tried. No response to my inquiry in a week. My hangar neighbor gave me a contact. We'll see if he can mod my cover. Stand by.

Can't you just rotate your heat muff on the exhaust pipe 45 degrees? The light outer shell of the heat muff can rotate on the end-cap pieces to any position you like. Perhaps your heat muff is not round?

It is not round. It is oval and wraps around 2 tail pipes parallel to each other so there is no option to rotate this dual heat muff.

If you go the "custom" route - you can have any angle offset you want, i.e. if the 45* number you were using is because you thought one might be available (pre-made). But if that isn't exactly what you need, now's the time to make the "perfect" fit.

Just Sayin'

HFS

And this is what I'm currently doing. My hope was to source the quick and easy way to reroute the ducting without modifying anything.

Shorten

Carlos,

Is there sufficient flange length to perhaps shorten it a bit while using the existing (or perhaps narrower) hose clamp? That might give you he clearance you desire.

Don

Found a local welder

Just to show how I finished this up, here is what I had done. After I mentioned the issue I had with my hangar neighbor, I was referred to a local welder via the airport bums network. Gave him my part and came back looking ok. I would have preferred to have more angle but it works as is. Now I have 3/4" - 1" clearance.

PXL_20221002_161724615.jpg PXL_20221002_192114608.jpg PXL_20221002_192149994.jpg

Back