to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untainted123 View Post
Iím sure if we got all the Steve Ingra[ha]mís together, it wouldnít take too long
And yes, I _can_ imagine the stream of cuss words coming from you while putting it back on

Iím sure getting all those washers and what not in there is a pain, especially up in the air on the A model.

Didnít you have moving blankets or cardboard and Saran Wrap around your wings also? Could you just do the same around the rudder/VS? Might be the best idea yet.
Yes, perhaps that could be a good idea, but no, I did not have the moving blankets and saran wrap on my plane. The yellow 14A that I took pictures of did. However, he did not wrap the vertical surfaces. I am sure he wishes he had done so.
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 08-06-2022, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post
Unless you have batons on both sides, I think the sock will tend to push the ruder over hard left or right
A sock over the entire rudder/elevator with several pockets on each side to slide in battens should work. The sail on my windsurfer had flat fibre glass stiffeners that worked this way. The whole thing would pack away and be relatively easy to install.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, fuselage almost done, working on canopy.
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 08-07-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
A sock over the entire rudder/elevator with several pockets on each side to slide in battens should work. The sail on my windsurfer had flat fibre glass stiffeners that worked this way. The whole thing would pack away and be relatively easy to install.

This is a great idea, in my humble opinion. Perhaps, the folks who make the prop sock could be convinced to make something like this.
Miss March 2020
Old 08-07-2022, 08:51 AM

Default Sock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
How about a big sock? Basically a bag that fits the VS and Rudder. Some bungies to hold it down. VS and Rudder become one unit. Less flopping back and forth.
I was thinking three socks. One over VS/rudder. One each over HS/elevator. Each side zippers to the vertical sock. The HS bottoms are bungeed or zippered. Straps sewn into the fabric end in rings. Rings at the tail are clipped with a carabiner to hold it all together. Could be tied down as well.
My wife is a seamstress. I may have her throw something together. Made from something strong and light like the material for tents. Sheds water and breathes.
Something like this "rip stop" kite material.
Tong Gu 39 inch Kite Flag Tent Material Nylon Fabric Waterproof Ripstop Outdoor Camp Cover (Red, 59 x 78 inch) https://a.co/d/b30Gy32
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.

Last edited by wirejock : 08-07-2022 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:06 PM

This might be difficult to implement so that it works in the very severe conditions where it's most needed. Wirejock's suggestions would help somewhat. I would not rely on this.

Dave