What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G5 Service Bulletin 22013: Battery Discharge

Pilot135pd

Well Known Member
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=b1ctwli6N08wSXVBu38c7A

So Garmin is still trying to figure out why some G5s discharge the battery.

They came out with a Version 2 battery, but that didn't fix it.

Then they had you send them the G5 to modify it, but that didn't fix it.

So then they came out with a Version 3 battery and stopped modifying the G5s, but that didn't fix it.

So now they put out a recall with a list, which I know will keep growing because the G5 I have that's working perfectly is on their recall list BUT the G5 that's draining the battery and they've already sent me batteries (I'm on Version 3 right now) IS NOT ON THE RECALL LIST.

BTW, it's Mandatory BUT you have an entire year to comply. I supposed that year will give them time to figure out what's really going on.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this.

Both G5 that I have do not have batteries installed but can be powered up from my Essentials Bus directly off the main battery. Both have S/N that are much lower than the ones listed.

My G5s were installed as replacements for vacuum instruments after 19 years of use.

Finally got around to checking my serial number against their list and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw my unit was not affected. After getting hit with that pesky crankshaft AD, it feels nice to dodge a bullet for a change.

Can the G3xpert chime in here with a date range that applies to the manufacture date of the units included in this recall?

It would be nice if these are more modern units that we can avoid pulling the units out if we know they we installed prior to the dates of affected units.

Larry

It would be nice if these are more modern units that we can avoid pulling the units out if we know they we installed prior to the dates of affected units.

Why not just look at your G5's serial number in configuration mode? No tools required.

G5 Serial Number

To do this, power on the G5 while pressing in on the knob, select Device Information, and then select the G5. You will find the Serial Number listed here.

i-KZk27nH.png

Thanks,

Justin

Why not just look at your G5's serial number in configuration mode? No tools required.

I take a picture of every item page in the Device List while in config mode. Only takes a minute or two for all 19 or 20 pages and shows a bunch of details about every item including serial numbers. I save them in Google Photos in a folder for maintenance items.

Service bulletin 22013

My G5 was on the list and found the issue after I picked up my airframe from paint. Garmin was good to send me a replacement plus battery (Had to give them my CC as deposit) so I did not have to go without one. Everyone should check there serial numbers. There are ~ 4,000 units being recalled at this point. Not sure why Garmin has had this many issues with batteries in the G5. You have until Feb 28th 2023 to get a new unit from what I can see.

I have also been having the dreaded backup battery failure but been putting it off and just flying. Yesterday I went and took the time to upgrade the G5 software and then called Garmin when that didn’t do anything. They told me I had to go through the dealer I got it from which is Aircraft Spruce. So I called them gave them my info and they said they would email me. I figured they would be just sending me a new battery but I got an email to box up the battery and the G5 and send it all in to their warranty department and gave me an RMA number for it. For any of you that have had to go this route what was your turn around time? I’ve got a big trip coming up in 3 1/2 weeks that I plan to fly the RV4 but the G5 is my backup attitude indicator for IFR so if I don’t have it back will probably be having to fly commercial, blah. Hoping you guys have had fast turn around with spruce.

I have also been having the dreaded backup battery failure but been putting it off and just flying. Yesterday I went and took the time to upgrade the G5 software and then called Garmin when that didn’t do anything. They told me I had to go through the dealer I got it from which is Aircraft Spruce. So I called them gave them my info and they said they would email me. I figured they would be just sending me a new battery but I got an email to box up the battery and the G5 and send it all in to their warranty department and gave me an RMA number for it. For any of you that have had to go this route what was your turn around time? I’ve got a big trip coming up in 3 1/2 weeks that I plan to fly the RV4 but the G5 is my backup attitude indicator for IFR so if I don’t have it back will probably be having to fly commercial, blah. Hoping you guys have had fast turn around with spruce.

If you have an important trip and you need the G5, wait until after your trip to send it.

Up to recently if your equipment was for an experimental aircraft Garmin did everything directly and if it was for a standard aircraft you had to do it through a Garmin dealer.

My G5 battery was for a standard category aircraft so they made me go through Aircraft Spruce who had sold the two G5s. The second time they sent me a new battery, Garmin sent it to Aircraft Spruce and that battery sat in their warehouse for more than a week before they sent it to me, and it wasn't longer because I called them every day asking them to ship it.

Good morning Thunder669,
If you confirmed your Serial Number was on the affected list, it sounds like there may have been a miscommunication with the product support person you spoke to yesterday. Please reach back out again to the email address or phone number in my signature below and make sure they understand you are an installing this in an EAB aircraft. We will be able to get an RMA setup directly to save the extra step of going through the dealer.

Thanks,
Johnny

Man I wish I had seen your response earlier as I already dropped it off at post office on its way to spruce. When I spoke with the representative he saw on my account that I have an RV4 and when he mentioned to take it to dealer I told him it was not installed at a dealer. That it was an experimental and I installed it myself after buying it from spruce. He said spruce was an authorized dealer and it had to go back to them. I sent it express so they should have it Tuesday after the holiday so keeping fingers crossed they process it quick. I did verify it is on the list of serial numbers

I just obtained a new G5 from Garmin in February and noticed today that it is down to 88% on the battery. You wouldn’t think this would be that difficult if a nut to crack??

G5 replaced by a new one before shipping back

Since my G5 went into a EAB Garmin did the exchange direct sending me a new G5 plus battery before I had to remove my old G5. This way just reused the packaging the new one came in which is a box inside a box and very protected and secure.

Since my G5 went into a EAB Garmin did the exchange direct sending me a new G5 plus battery before I had to remove my old G5.

Thanks for that info dmattmul.
Since having only 2 G5s as instruments, one of them affected, and being on another continent, that would help.

Whom did you get in contact with?

G5 Exchange

Thanks for that info dmattmul.
Since having only 2 G5s as instruments, one of them affected, and being on another continent, that would help.

Whom did you get in contact with?

Good Morning Dan,

If you are in Europe, you will want to contact [email protected]. Otherwise shoot us an email at [email protected] and we can get you heading in the right direction. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin

Garmin G5 exchanged due SB and now ACM crash when turning avionics on

Hi
I just exchanged my Garmin G5 Experimental on my RV-8 due to the SB 22013. I connected the 9-pin connector which is connected to the ACM and the TCW-IBBS Battery. Turned it on with the switch "EMERGENCY BATTERY ON" and it worked fine. I turned on the Dynon with the MASTER Switch and everything worked. No problem so far. Then when I turned on the AVIONICS switch, the ACM went offline immediately. I tried to figure out what the problem was and ended up with the fact, that as long as the TCW Battery is connected and the G5 turned on, the ACM will go offline. When I have the TCW Battery connected but the fuse on the battery pulled, everything works fine via ACM (the G5 up and running).
Have you ever heard of this new problem?
I think this have something to do, what Garmin fixed to avoid draining of their internal batteries on the G5.
I received as an exchange a "newly overhauled" G5.

I would really appreciate if you could help me and answer me quickly.

Thanks a lot, Christian
Vans RV-8, HB-YZZ, SN 82861, Switzerland

SB complied with...

ok, following some email exchange with Garmin Europe I was directed to my local dealer, Avionitec.
I received the replacement G5 a couple of weeks ago, and spent the best part of a morning doing the exchange. Liberating the affected unit from a dozen or so cable ties, disconnecting static/pitot, replacing the static line which got damaged during the process, and reversing the process to install the "new" one, all whilst lying on my back with the flap lever wedged between 2 vertebrae and the throttle quadrant massaging my sternum... a leak test concluded the work, all good.

A couple of comments:
  • the replacement unit ain't new. There's a sticker on it which states Newly Overhauled :confused:
  • Upon checking the serial, found that I swapped my G5 for an older unit, e.g. 031527 becomes 029499...
  • today I received a bill for CHF173.60 (which equates about $186) handling charges from my local Garmin dealer. This seemingly to cover the costs of sending those units to from the European dealer located in the UK :mad:

How does it work for you guys in the US?
Did you have to pay anything out of your pocket to then do the work yourself?
Did you get a second hand unit with no info about it's running time to date nor the manufacture date?

That's my biggest problem with Garmin, when you have to send everything through dealers. I swore I'd never buy another standard category aircraft again.

ok, following some email exchange with Garmin Europe I was directed to my local dealer, Avionitec.
I received the replacement G5 a couple of weeks ago, and spent the best part of a morning doing the exchange. Liberating the affected unit from a dozen or so cable ties, disconnecting static/pitot, replacing the static line which got damaged during the process, and reversing the process to install the "new" one, all whilst lying on my back with the flap lever wedged between 2 vertebrae and the throttle quadrant massaging my sternum... a leak test concluded the work, all good.

A couple of comments:
  • the replacement unit ain't new. There's a sticker on it which states Newly Overhauled :confused:
  • Upon checking the serial, found that I swapped my G5 for an older unit, e.g. 031527 becomes 029499...
  • today I received a bill for CHF173.60 (which equates about $186) handling charges from my local Garmin dealer. This seemingly to cover the costs of sending those units to from the European dealer located in the UK :mad:

How does it work for you guys in the US?
Did you have to pay anything out of your pocket to then do the work yourself?
Did you get a second hand unit with no info about it's running time to date nor the manufacture date?

In the US you do not need to go through your dealer (Although you certainly can) if your avionics are installed in an experimental. They will ship direct a replacement unit (Might be reconditioned) with a CC deposit and you need to return it at your expense after install. I've never asked them to pay return freight and they have never volunteered. Talking to the dealer they seemed more than ok not getting involved.

Pilot135pd, we are talking about an experimental G5 installed in a E-AB airplane, but located in EU.

Thanks for the info Dwight :cool:

I might be alone here, but IMHO, and in the view that we perform the replacement work ourselves in opposition to the certified units, total costs should be covered by Garmin. And this should cover shipping both ways, US or EU, or wherever.

Back