What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing Fuel Drains and other connections - which sealant

jamcgee1978

I have purchased Permatex 80632 Thread Sealant in order to finally install the fuel drains, is this the correct product?

Moving forward i understand never to use Teflon tape to seal connections with our RV's. Will i use this thread sealant with the fuel system connections too as and when i get to that part of the built.

Thanks in advance

Google Locktite 567. I think they're is a 567 and 565..which the only difference is temperature range. .I could be wrong on the numbers, so look into it. Got mine on amazon.

i have used the permatex but i recently came across ''gasoila''. it was recommended by a person that installs fuel tanks at gas stations. i happened to be at a station where a new tank was being installed. i asked the pipe fitter what he was using and he said ''gasoila''. that's all i know.

Thanks for your replies.

So would i use the permatex for all connections moving forward expect firewall forward ? Or is it worth purchasing the locative as well for different jobs

Cheers
James

thread sealant in fuel systems

I'm sure you know this, but just in case, take care about how much of any sealant that you put on the threads. The reason to use the right stuff, and the right amount, is that the wrong stuff can block your fuel system. Teflon tape for example is notorious for this. Other sealants that have been known to block fuel systems are things like "fuel lube" - they do not dissolve in fuel so if you get some into the fuel flow it can block things.

Remember, it's not just during your install when you are being very careful, but also when the next mechanic disassembles and reassembles it - they might not be as careful as you are or might not be aware of the risk.

Don't know that type of permatex. I have used both permatex #2 and the 567 with good results on NPT threads in gas applications.

Larry

Only use sealant on NPT threads. Flared fittings should be dry. (Sorry, wasn't sure what you meant by 'all connections'.)

This is the Permatex thread sealant that I use on the NPT pipe thread fittings for the fuel drains.

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 6.22.52 AM.png

I've been using Permatex 80632 for years and it works great for NPT threads. It is easy to apply, seals well and the fitting can be removed without issues.
It is available at your local auto parts store and one container will last a long time. It is basically a brush on version of teflon tape.

This is the Permatex thread sealant that I use on the NPT pipe thread fittings for the fuel drains.

View attachment 861

I noticed the letters PTFE on your picture and I remembered seeing that somewhere. I found it here. So this is ok to use this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.42.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.42.50 AM.png
    797.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.42.38 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.42.38 AM.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 101
I noticed the letters PTFE on your picture and I remembered seeing that somewhere. I found it here. So this is ok to use this?

Yes. The PTFE is not the issue with teflon tape. It is the tape form that is the issue, as small fragments can break off the tape and clog things.

Back