What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring hole location in ribs

jamcgee1978

Hi all from a chilly scotland,

So the time has come to enlarge holes for the wire run for the lights & pitot lines. As the ribs come with 2 pre-punched holes my plan was to:
1) enlarge hole furthest from spar to 3/4 for conduit for wire run to lights
2) enlarge hole closest to spar to 7/16 for SB437-4 bushing for pitot

I have seen others have created 3 holes, one for the conduit and 2 for the AOA/PITOT . As i have held off purchasing any electrics yet its hard to visualise what wires will go were and how many i?ll need to pass through

Are there tried and tested methods when it comes to locations for wiring (interference etc) that i need to consider?

Any advice more than welcome before i goto town with my unibit,

Thanks
James

Wiring hole location

I would run the wires through a single place aft of the spar. The benefit there is you can inspect them or access them from the inspection panels on the wing bottom. Put them far enough aft to avoid any interference with the aileron push/pull tube.

I have had no noise issues but if you are concerned, separate the runs. Besides heated pitot, allow for aileron trim, strobes, position, and landing lights, and any antennas in the wing tip.

For what it?s worth, I did not use conduit here because the rib spacing allowed a lot of support. It is clearly an option, however.

Back