What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Layers of cloth for the gear leg fairings to wheel pant

riobison

Well Known Member
I'm fibre glassing the gear leg fairings to my wheel pants and I'm wondering if 2 layers of cloth is sufficient here or do I need 3?

Thanks

Tim

Layers of cloth

Two layers of cloth is plenty on the outside.

IMPORTANT! On the inside you must also put two layers. I have seen numerous aft lower gear leg fairings come off in flight. PM me your phone number if you want an explanation how to do this.

Steve Barnes

Layers on the inside?

Hello Steve

I've aggressively sanded and bonded the 2 parts prior to applying the 2 layers of cloth.

Even at that point I don't think I could have separated the 2 pieces without destroying them.

I see that its possible to get in there on the inside and do this, but it wont be pretty.

I'm wondering what everyone else has done?

Thanks

Tim

I just sanded the heck out of the wheel pant and fairing with 60 grit sandpaper and glued them together with epoxy thickened a bit with cabosil. On the inside I filled in the gaps with more epoxy and flox mixture. After they were bonded, I sanded down the edges of the fairing to wheel pant interface and did some more overlays to provide some overlap on the front to rear halves. I used epoxy and microballoon mixture over everything to sand the outer surface smooth. No layers of cloth were used and it has held up great for 866 hours.

IMG_4541-M.jpg

Back