What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring for The Works by FLYLEDs

jamcgee1978

Afternoon all,

I’m in the process of ordering the wiring to run through the wings prior to close up for the flyleds , Im guessing 18AWG shielded is the standard ? Also exactly what wiring needs to go out to the outboard end as i see the controller is mounted in the fuse to handle the wigwags. I’m trying to make sense of the flyleds diagram here but I’m left a little confused .

Thanks
James

I just completed a Works install in an already flying RV-7. Took a LOT of time but was able to re-use existing wires from the Whelen Nav/Strobe and landing light installation. Aiming the landing/taxi lights leaves a lot to be desired in a tail dragger install, IMO, but might be due to the fact that this was the older wing tip with less room for mounting.

FlyLED only requires shielded wires for the strobe lights in the wings and to the tail. Doesn't hurt to use shielded wires for the other stuff but not required.

It was not clear to me that Wig-Wag was built into the Works package so I inadvertently purchased the separate option, which was then gifted to another RV.

The tail nav/strobe only needs two wires (20g) shielded. The controller sends 30% power for nav and short 100% bursts for strobe. Be sure NOT to hook the tail strobe up to a 12v power source as it will quickly fry the unit (not meant for full power all the time).

Last edited:
"the works" kit I received had wiring diagrams and size call outs in the instructions. I went with that size or larger..... Their sizes looked a bit small, but I trust them. I enjoyed assembling the kit and it functions great.

Hi James

The position and strobe circuits only need 3 wire 22AWG shielded wire, which is what we supply in our harness kits. The difference in resistance or voltage drop between 22, 20 and 18 AWG wire in our application is essentially irrelevant, so you can use any of these if you have it on hand.

(The strobe and position circuits to the wingtips already have large value resistors in them, so the 0.3 or 0.6 ohms of wire resistance becomes a small fraction of the total resistance. The LEDs are still super bright!)

For landing lights such as in the Works kit or our Combo lights you need standard (unshielded) 18AWG wire. Our Seven Stars lights require 16 or 14AWG wire. 50ft/15m will again be enough for both wings.
A single spotlight in our lights can also be wired as a taxi light, so you would need one more 20AWG run for that.

We recommend shielded wire for the strobe circuit as it makes the bundle out to the wingtips simple to implement and run.
Our landing lights do not make any electrical noise so standard wire is all that's required there.

I have sent you further information in reply to your email as well.
Our instructions can be downloaded from the Info page via the Flyleds logo below.

Thanks Paul and ray for the replies i ve got a clearer picture what needs to be fed through the wings now.

Back