What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attaching the Fuel Tank onto spar

jamcgee1978

Will be installing this week is there a tried and tested method or just blood sweat and tears, 2 person job?

Thanks

I only needed one person (me) to mount the tanks.

Slide one into place, put clecos into a couple of the holes to hold it in place, then break out the screws, bolts, screwdrivers, and socket set.

This flexible angle head drill extension from HF is great for running the AN3 bolts down on the Z brackets. Final torque is by feel with a ratchet. No way I would use a pneumatic anything for these small bolts. The beauty of this tool is that you can set your drill/driver to a lower torque setting and the flex shaft can turn corners.
https://www.harborfreight.com/quick-release-hex-socket-extension-and-angled-bit-holder-96726.html

That's what I was concerned about. Looks like I need to go by Harbor Freight...

... No way I would use a pneumatic anything for these small bolts...

If you set the pressure to about 25 PSI you won't harm a thing. Set final torque by feel or with a torque wrench if you can get one in the tight spaces. I have used a pneumatic wrench for about a dozen tank removal/installs without incident. Do what you feel comfortable with.

You'll spend more time going to Harbor Freight to get the tool than I spent attaching the tanks, inserting the bolts by hand and tightening them with a small ratchet.

You'll spend more time going to Harbor Freight to get the tool than I spent attaching the tanks, inserting the bolts by hand and tightening them with a small ratchet.

Agreed - i had the tanks on my 10 on and off twice. Both times i just used a ratcheting box wrench. Wasn’t terribly difficult.

If you set the pressure to about 25 PSI you won't harm a thing. Set final torque by feel or with a torque wrench if you can get one in the tight spaces. I have used a pneumatic wrench for about a dozen tank removal/installs without incident. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Never thought of that. I've used "feel" for final torque on these and comfortable with that. Thanks

But I need an excuse to go to HF - never know what you might find there you didn't know you need.

Thanks for the info guys managed to source a ratchet box wrench from the club so will crack on installing on Friday. I filled both tanks with avgas after pressure test despite it being timely juggling the fuel back into the jodel and bulldog I’m confident no leaks prior to install now. Getting close to the end of the wings now , flaps and ailerons done. Plan is

Tanks on.
AP servo, aileron trim, pitot installed, wires run
Flyled installed
Bottom skins

Waiting to order the fuse after vans announcement of final drilling man that’s going to save us so many hours

I recently removed and reinstalled my tanks in order to install some long range extender tanks. Patience and time is the key.

One lesson I learned is that the only way to insure getting all those bolts and washers in (and out) is to count them. Twice I managed to miss a bolt by simply feeling around. Dropping a few bolts during the process is inevitable but having extras available can create problems.

Using the plans and careful management of the hardware count was required. It’s blind AND tight in there. Enjoy!

Back