What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

You are going to love your YIO-540...

MauleDriver

Well Known Member
I know I love mine.

Currently at Lycoming Engine school and just finished the factory tour. It's a sprawling factory with not that many people working. Very neat, clean and aging well.

It seemed that everywhere I looked there were YIO-540-D4A5s in various stages of being built, test run and made ready for ship. Three were all packed and labeled as Vans engines, ready to ship to RV10 builders. :rolleyes: Very cool.

Bill "with his IO-540 blinders on" Watson
N215TG
262 hours and counting

Mr Driver,

I was thinking of doing the 'Lycoming Piston Engine Service School' & 'Disassembly/Reassembly Course' @ Montoursville, is that what you are doing? Worth doing? Learn much? Is it very intensive?

Thanks.

I love her un-conditionally, it's the least I can do for her...........

Worth

I toured Lycoming factory two times in 2008. Then wrote an article in Russian for a local GA Magazine. Factory authorized couple pictures. Cool place I liked it. Everybody says the Lycoming School is very interesting and useful. There is an excellent writeup by Bob Axsom he attended the course last year.

Mr Driver,

I was thinking of doing the 'Lycoming Piston Engine Service School' & 'Disassembly/Reassembly Course' @ Montoursville, is that what you are doing? Worth doing? Learn much? Is it very intensive?

Thanks.

I love her un-conditionally, it's the least I can do for her...........
I'm only half thru at this point. It's hard to call it intensive at this point but it is very high value if you want to expand your skills relative to servicing your engine. Jim Doebler who is doing week 1 is an institution onto himself. Totally knowledgeable, experienced, no BS, no wasted words. Every word and story has value.

I've already installed and flown my Lycoming but this is a perfect next step towards future operations and maintenance.

I've spent a career marketing, managing, and teaching high tech IT stuff along with the speed and intensity that goes along with the field. The subject matter here is old school and so is the class which is as it should be. 3/4 mechanics and service mangers from a round the world, 1/4 pilot guys including several RV people.

Yes I recommend it.

I learned a lot from these courses as well as from the other people in class (though I knew very little about A/C engines going in). I highly recommend them if you plan to work on your engine.

Mr Driver,

Bill,
Are you doing both courses back to back?

Little bit different than IBM technology ;)
Yes I'm doing them back to back.

After week one, I can't recommend this course enough. Actually, I can't recommend the instructor enough. Jim Doebler has been working with and around Lycoming engines for a long time. More important, he is a truly gifted teacher. No razzle, no dazzle, but totally engaging and not a word or gesture wasted. Master instructor he is.

Anyway, looking forward to week2 (3 days) which is primarily hands on.

BTW, back in pre-micro processor mainframe days, I used to think of mainframes as modern day locomotives with all the power and water required to make them work. Lycosaurs are pretty closely descended from locomotives, just the internal version of the iron horse. In a lot of ways more alike than different at the instructional level .;)

Back