What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy drill bits?

Dbro172

Well Known Member
I'm coming up on the slider canopy construction. Could someone point me towards the correct drill bits for drilling the plexiglass?

Thanks,

From the horse's mouth.

As per a recent conversation with the owner of the factory that makes at least the RV-4 and RV-8 canopies:

Use a standard #40 for 40 holes, diamond cut plexiglass bits for holes up to 3/16 and step drill bits for holes larger than that. Go slow at first, speed up as you go and slow down as you exit the material out the back. Back up with wood.

This comes from someone who does it every single day.

waste in flutes

One note of caution. Think twice about drilling from plex to alum. Once the bit tip translates from plex to the tougher alum the feed will 'snap' the plex waste at the start of the drill flutes.
May not cause any real damage but it gave me paused so I changed my process to always start from the alum side when using std flute drills in plex.

..another new idea?

As per a recent conversation with the owner of the factory that makes at least the RV-4 and RV-8 canopies:
Use a standard #40 for 40 holes, diamond cut plexiglass bits for holes up to 3/16 and step drill bits for holes larger than that. Go slow at first, speed up as you go and slow down as you exit the material out the back. Back up with wood. This comes from someone who does it every single day.

Tim, I had never heard of the 'diamond' drill bit.

Diamond Dusted Drill Bits
Diamond dusted bits can drill through hard plastics. Manufacturers bond diamond dust coating to the exteriors of these bits . This dust enables the bit's cutting edge to remain sharp. The bits come with a 60 degree points and 0 degree rake. Diamond dusted bits are good for stack drilling or drilling multiple layers of plexiglass or plastic materials. These bits are a little harder to find in local hardware and home improvement stores. You may have to purchase them online.

interesting. I can see that it might remove some of the tooling scars from the inside of the holes, thus relieving stress risers to some degree also.

No doubt the advice you got from the manufacturer was good; just a reminder that they are drilling warm, soft, new acrylic. Often we are challenged with old, hard, cold product ....by the time we get around to this job!

+1 on Avery bits, I used them on my tip up. I will add an instructive link for cutting the shapes on an old bit when it is found. I just bought the Avery bit set and kept building.

I also highly recommend the single flute countersink, it cuts plexi smoothly and cleanly.

Back