What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans farm for Flight Simulator

Harley Dickinson

I'm New Here
Hey guys i am a Scenery developer for MS Flight simulator X, as you know there are several Vans Aircraft around for FSX... I am currently interested in putting the Vangrunsven Farm into FSX for use..... Does anyone know the location... All i know is that it exists... Pictures?

Welcome to VAF!

Harley, welcome to the good ship VAF:D.

The location is to the west of Portland, as I recall.

North Plains or something like that, I believe.

Maybe I can find it, will post if I do.

Ty this-----Google is your friend. Not sure if this is actually the old family farm???

http://blog.cafefoundation.org/?p=1769

Last edited:
This painting by artist (and RV-8 builder) Paul Tuttle is a re-creation of what the family farm looked like at the time van was flying the RV-1 out of there:

rv13.jpg

Go to...

maps.google.com and search [ed. Hi Dave! I'm not a big fan of publishing folk's home addresses on the web, so I deleted Van's. The family farm was formerly at 45°33'52.64"N, 123° 4'33.34"W (now just a field - and Van doesn't live there. br,dr]

That's the address google came up with for Richard VanGrunsven.

Hey guys i am a Scenery developer for MS Flight simulator X, as you know there are several Vans Aircraft around for FSX... I am currently interested in putting the Vangrunsven Farm into FSX for use..... Does anyone know the location... All i know is that it exists... Pictures?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not put the Vans factory building at KUAO? You could put the hangar and VANS AIRCRAFT sign out in front. Unless maybe you already added this?

Christopher.

Sunset (1OR3) is Van's current home and where they used to hold the 'Van's Homecoming' Fly In.

The 'Family Farm' strip was at this location below. It's no longer in use and doesn't appear on recent Google photos.

45?33'52.64"N
123? 4'33.34"W

maps.google.com and search [ed. Hi Dave! I'm not a big fan of publishing folk's home addresses on the web, so I deleted Van's. The family farm was formerly at 45°33'52.64"N, 123° 4'33.34"W (now just a field - and Van doesn't live there. br,dr]

That's the address google came up with for Richard VanGrunsven.

If you are looking for the family farm that Van and his Brother flew from as teenagers, neither of these is it.

It is a few miles S.W. of Sunset Airpark.
Why not E-mail him and ask if he would mind giving you the address? I don't know if he will.... but its worth a try.

Edit: Never mind... Joe covered it.

[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunset (1OR3) is Van's current home and where they used to hold the 'Van's Homecoming' Fly In.

The 'Family Farm' strip was at this location below. It's no longer in use and doesn't appear on recent Google photos.

45?33'52.64"N
123? 4'33.34"W

If you go to these coordinates in Google Earth and then go to View/Historical Imagery, you'll see this for the June 2006 imagery:

VansFamilyFarm_zps92aa20bc.jpg

There are not a lot of aerial pictures of the farm from the era when Van flew out of there...Well, at least I had a hard time finding any.

Joe Blank, Paul and Louise were able to get their hands on a few and the rest came from Google Earth, as seen in a previous post.

I used a fair bit of artistic licence in the painting, but Van told me it was reasonably accurate. :)

There are not a lot of aerial pictures of the farm from the era when Van flew out of there...Well, at least I had a hard time finding any.

Joe Blank, Paul and Louise were able to get their hands on a few and the rest came from Google Earth, as seen in a previous post.

I used a fair bit of artistic licence in the painting, but Van told me it was reasonably accurate. :)

I'd say you were right on!

van.JPG

Back