What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sport Pilot's License

Azemon

Hey all. Has anyone had experience getting their Light Sport license and have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Andy

I went the Sport Pilot route. If you were a bit more specific as to what you'd like to know I might have some input for you.

I did Sport Pilot training for a while, then transitioned to Private Pilot.

I'm not sure what details to go into. Like McPara says, if you have specific questions, that would help.

I will say two things, though.

One: You may want to make sure that your CFI is a full CFI, not just a CFI-Sport. That way your dual time counts towards Private Pilot requirements when/if you decide to "upgrade" your rating later. For people who see Sport Pilot as a stepping stone to Private Pilot, this is crucial. But if that is not your plan, then you don't need to worry about it.

Two: Most flight schools do not have LSAs in their fleets. You may decide that Sport Pilot training is better than Private Pilot (it's cheaper, you get your license more quickly, the tests are easier, the additional restrictions aren't super restrictive: I pretty much never carry more than one passenger, pretty much never fly at night, pretty much never fly over 10k feet, etc) only to find out that, in order to get Sport Pilot training, you need to drive an hour to and from the nearest flight school that has an LSA. When you learn to fly, you need to fly often, like 2 or 3 times a week. (Aim for 3 and it will end up being 2, in my experience). The more often you fly, the fewer hours you will need to get the rating (not just the fewer weeks). This becomes hard when you can't really go on a whim, when each time you go flying you have to dedicate 4 hours of your day to it (an hour to drive there, two hours for flying, and hour to drive back).

That is why I transitioned to Private Pilot. It was hard for me to find four-hour chunks of time to set aside on my calendar for flying. So I ended up not flying super often. And I hit a plateau, as far as my learning progress went. Things got real frustrating, since going to fly was so inconvenient. I decided that I should do Private Pilot training instead, because they offer it at the airfield where I work, just a couple miles from my home. It worked out great. Sure, it was more expensive, but I was flying much more often, so I made progress much faster.

Of course, if you do have an LSA available for instruction in your neighborhood, then by all means, go for it!

When my RV is grounded for repairs or upgrades and I want to rent something for a quick flight, I still rent an LSA (even though I could rent a Cessna 172, which is supposedly "superior"). Sure, the LSA is slower and more twitchy, but you can't beat the view out that bubble canopy, and flying with a joystick is a lot of fun. I really love that configuration: low wings, bubble canopy, joystick. Makes me feel like I'm in a fighter. It's no wonder I ended up owning an RV...

Last edited:
I went the Sport Lic route and I highly recommend it. It was a very good and effective way for me to get into flying.

First, I bought a Light sport plane which was relatively inexpensive (compare to what plane cost) and used it for my training. The training was great and didn't really have the kind of limitation that would hinder my goals and flying. After getting my lic. I put over 150 hours on it in one year getting a fair amount of experience rather inexpensively (auto gas). I sold it getting most of my initial $$$ back when I was half way done with the RV building.

Hope this helps.

Beware ...

No matter where you train, pay hourly for your lessons in the air or for ground school. Beware, all CFI's are not created equal. There are unscrupulous CFI's who will take your money and run! Investigate the training facility you finally choose to use. With the Cessna 162's it should be easier to find a facility with an LSA.

Remember, If health issues are a factor, you do not want to attempt to secure a third class medical unless you are absolutely positively certain you can pass the medical examination. If you fail your third class medical you cannot even become a Sport Pilot.

Good luck and have fun whatever you decide.

I got my Sport Pilot ticket a year and a half ago. It is a great way to go. I will say what the others have just to reiterate it. Make sure if you are going to look at doing your private at some point later you do your training with a CFI vice CFI-S. In the end there really isn't a lot of difference between the two tickets in terms of what you can do as a pilot. Obviously you can't fly a plane heavier than 1320 pounds max gross unless a sea plane but in terms of the other restrictions, I didn't find them too bad. I don't want to fly at night, I don't really want to fly with more than one person in the plane with me and I don't know that I would get my instrument rating if I got my private, as I don't really like flying when the weather is really not great anyway.

I got lucky and trained in a flying club with multiple LSA's that was dedicated to LSA training. They have subsequently merged with a larger club who also rents non-LSA's. My instructor had many hours in LSA's but also is a CFII. She was outstanding and the experience of learning in a LSA was great. I learned at Centennial in Denver. It is one of the busiest GA airports in the states and yet they have LSA's in the pattern all the time. I think there were doubters initially that the LSA's and sport pilots would fit in there but we did and do.

In terms of what certificate you get it all comes down to what kind of flying you want to do. Since getting my SP certificate I have logged over 250 hours and flown solo from Colorado to Florida as well as twice to Oshkosh with other pilots and down to Tucson this past weekend, all in my LSA. The point being you really can fly real cross countries as a sport pilot. You can also get your class B/C and D endorsements to fly in and out of most airports and airspace in the U.S. (there are a few class B's you can't fly into)

Feel free to PM if you have any specific SP questions.

Carl

Thanks

Thanks to you all for the replys. I have run into the unscrupulous CFI during my flight traininng. He would offer discounts for future flght hours after large gambling losses. Sometimes $20/hr if I would buy in $500 blocks. Didn't feel comfortable. My problem is blood sugar. I have been exercising and losing weight but sugars are a tad high for a first class. So before I buy my RV-10 tail section I talked to my Dr. and thought maybe I should do a 12 first.

Thanks again,

Andy

I presume you mean third class, not first?

I think there is some leeway for blood sugar these days, as long as you don't need insulin. (?)

But, as others have mentioned, be careful. If you take and fail an FAA medical exam then you cannot just use a driver's license in lieu of a medical for Sport Pilot flying. You'll have to go thru Oklahoma City and get a formal approval.

Went private because of plane access

I went private because the standard fleet of non LSA trainers was what was available to rent in my area. But I still flew only day VFR and only a couple of times with more than one passenger and never over 10K. Sport pilot would work for me on paper but I would have to buy a plane to use it here. On the other hand, I took a lot more than the 40 hours required anyway and don't think that the extra requirements for private had much to do with that. The only thing "wasted" were the night hours and I enjoyed it so it wasn't wasted. I am interested in buying an LSA now as some medical issues complicate renewal of the medical, it will fit the mission, and might (??) do so less expensively over the long run. I like flying the PA-28 but if buying would rather buy something not already flying beyond its anticipated usable life. Also I see many older plane owners whose planes sit unused because they can't afford to feed them avgas at 12 gph. Even if the medical issue goes away, autogas at 5 gph means more hours aloft.

I like the simplicity of LSA, but I have higher ratings. I've always found stretching yourself to get a rating higher than needed makes you a better pilot at the lower skill level. I'd say go for a PIR even if you plan to fly LSA.

How long after passing the knowledge test must we have completed the practical Sport Pilot test?

The FAA publication "Practical Test Standards" p. 7 is confusing: "an applicant...is required to have passed the appropriate sport pilot knowledge test since the beginning of the 24th month before the month in which he...takes a practical test."

Does this mean take the practical test a month before your 2 year knowledge test expires?
So if I passed the knowledge test Oct. 2, 2013, by what date must I take the practical test?
Tim

practical test no later than October 31 2015.
Just like your medical or Flight Review, you get a grace period to the end of the month.

A Sport Pilot aspirant can fly dual in any airplane. You don't need an LSA equivalent plane for that. You do need an LSA equivalent plane to fly solo. Any plane that meets light sport criteria works, could be SLSA, ELSA, Standard (like a J3 cub) or E-AB.
To apply the training to a higher rating, you want to use a CFI under FAR 61 Subpart H. A sport pilot CFI is subpart K. If you are to solo a plane that goes more than 87 Vh you need some hood time. Most argue that takes a Subpart H CFI, not a Subpart K (although some K's will argue till the cows come home). 61.93e(12)
Some argue that if you bust a medical you can fly a glider (and some gliders are long winged airplanes that let you fly over 10K) without a DL medical.

Practical test requirements. Cross country?

For the Sport certificate I don't see any requirements before taking the FAA Practical test for Any cross country flight. I only see that Sport requires just ability to "plan" cross country.

Could that be correct?

Tim

You do have to meet the cross country training requirements in order to be signed off for your check ride as a SP. You will also plan and start off on your planned cross country as a part of your check ride. Expect a fair number of questions to be based off this flight planning and a review of the chart you have marked up for that flight. For the specific flight training requirements review 61.313. Here is the chart with those requirements:

?61.313 What aeronautical experience must I have to apply for a sport pilot certificate?
Use the following table to determine the aeronautical experience you must have to apply for a sport pilot certificate:

If you are applying for a sport pilot certificate with . . . Then you must log at least . . . Which must include at least . . .

(a) Airplane category and single-engine land or sea class privileges, (1) 20 hours of flight time, including at least 15 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor in a single-engine airplane and at least 5 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in ?61.311, (i) 2 hours of cross-country flight training, (ii) 10 takeoffs and landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport, (iii) One solo cross-country flight of at least 75 nautical miles total distance, with a full-stop landing at a minimum of two points and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 25 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations, and (iv) 2 hours of flight training with an authorized instructor on those areas of operation specified in ?61.311 in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test.
(b) Glider category privileges, and you have not logged at least 20 hours of flight time in a heavier-than-air aircraft, (1) 10 hours of flight time in a glider, including 10 flights in a glider receiving flight training from an authorized instructor and at least 2 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in ?61.311, (i) Five solo launches and landings, and (ii) at least 3 training flights with an authorized instructor on those areas of operation specified in ?61.311 in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test.
(c) Glider category privileges, and you have logged 20 hours flight time in a heavier-than-air aircraft, (1) 3 hours of flight time in a glider, including five flights in a glider while receiving flight training from an authorized instructor and at least 1 hour of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in ?61.311, (i) Three solo launches and landings, and (ii) at least 3 training flights with an authorized instructor on those areas of operation specified in ?61.311 in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test.
(d) Rotorcraft category and gyroplane class privileges, (1) 20 hours of flight time, including 15 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor in a gyroplane and at least 5 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in ?61.311, (i) 2 hours of cross-country flight training, (ii) 10 takeoffs and landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport, (iii) One solo cross-country flight of at least 50 nautical miles total distance, with a full-stop landing at a minimum of two points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 25 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations, and (iv) 2 hours of flight training with an authorized instructor on those areas of operation specified in ?61.311 in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test.
(e) Lighter-than-air category and airship class privileges, (1) 20 hours of flight time, including 15 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor in an airship and at least 3 hours performing the duties of pilot in command in an airship with an authorized instructor in the areas of operation listed in ?61.311, (i) 2 hours of cross-country flight training, (ii) Three takeoffs and landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport, (iii) One cross-country flight of at least 25 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations, and (iv) 2 hours of flight training with an authorized instructor on those areas of operation specified in ?61.311 in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test.
(f) Lighter-than-air category and balloon class privileges, (1) 7 hours of flight time in a balloon, including three flights with an authorized instructor and one flight performing the duties of pilot in command in a balloon with an authorized instructor in the areas of operation listed in ?61.311, (i) 2 hours of cross-country flight training, and (ii) 1 hours of flight training with an authorized instructor on those areas of operation specified in ?61.311 in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test.
(g) Powered parachute category land or sea class privileges, (1) 12 hours of flight time in a powered parachute, including 10 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor in a powered parachute, and at least 2 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in ?61.311 (i) 1 hour of cross-country flight training, (ii) 20 takeoffs and landings to a full stop in a powered parachute with each landing involving flight in the traffic pattern at an airport; (iii) 10 solo takeoffs and landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport, (iv) One solo flight with a landing at a different airport and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 10 nautical miles between takeoff and landing locations, and (v) 1 hours of flight training with an authorized instructor on those areas of operation specified in ?61.311 in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test.
(h) Weight-shift-control aircraft category land or sea class privileges, (1) 20 hours of light time, including 15 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor in a weight-shift-control aircraft and at least 5 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in ?61.311, (i) 2 hours of cross-country flight training, (ii) 10 takeoffs and landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport, (iii) One solo cross-country flight of at least 50 nautical miles total distance, with a full-stop landing at a minimum of two points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 25 nautical miles between takeoff and landing locations, and (iv) 2 hours of flight training with an authorized instructor on those areas of operation specified in ?61.311 in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test.
[Doc. No. FAA-2001-11133, 69 FR 44869, July 27, 2004; Amdt. 61-124A, 74 FR 53647, Oct. 20, 2009; Amdt. 61-125, 75 FR 5221, Feb. 1, 2010]

Thankyou carl.....this is looking more difficult all the time.
Very helpful though ..... Hope to get hru this before end of summer.

Tim,
It is a journey. It is more a question of persistence than difficulty. I found that training multiple times a week really helped in expediting getting my SP ticket. The cross country part is pretty straightforward. You will get it knocked out.

Carl

Thankyou Rich, Carl, Bob...it's been a long haul with most recent, gas float problem causing only one flight sinc last July when Found gas running out....finally fixed Saturday hopefully with new floats. Looking better now.

Back