What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque Wrench Question

TThurston

Well Known Member
The LONG discussion about torque wrenches reminds me of some questions that I've wondered about. I have two torque wrenches (cheap and expensive)

Is there a way that I can use wrench B to test the torque applied by wrench A?

Or, can I use my wrench that's newly calibrated to test the torque applied to a nut before calibration? (I'd check the last nut torqued before calibration to see if it was okay. If it was, I wouldn't bother to go back and re-torque everything.)

Or, can I use my basic torque wrench to test the torque applied when I use the device discussed in the LONG thread to see if 0.8 really is the correct value?

Or in general, do I just trust my torque wrench or is there a way I can test it?

A bit hokey, but if you welded two cheap sockets together at their nut ends you could use the known good torque wrench to calibrate the other.

If the two wrenches are end-to-end the the exact same torque will be applied to both. The readings can then be compared.

Of course, this only works if one is known good, or has an exact calibration chart.

calibration

I just use a scale or better yet weights.

Weight x Arm = Moment

Set the wrench to the value you want to test. Divide that torque value by the arm. Apply weight or force to the correct location on the wrench and test. Start with a weight lower than correct and sneak up on the correct weight.

A bit hokey, but if you welded two cheap sockets together at their nut ends you could use the known good torque wrench to calibrate the other.

Don't even have to go that far. If you have two 1/4" drive toraue wrenches, use a 1/4" socket that is 1/4" drive on the ratchet end. Similar with any other combination of wrench drive sizes.

Last edited:
Don't even have to go that far. If you have two 1/4" drive toraue wrenches, use a 1/4" socket that is 1/4" drive on the ratchet end. Similar with any other combination of wrench drive sizes.

Then use a beam wrench to calibrate the click wrench. I have 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch beam wrenches...... never need calibration, but hard to use.

Err... square drive vs. a hex bolt end....:confused:

Send it in for calibration!

It is not that expesive if you know where to go.

If you have a quality Torque Wrench, it will pass each year its calibrated for many years.

I use Brylen Technologies in southern California.

http://www.brylen.com/

The answer is yes. I spot mine this way.

2 torques wrenches each with a socket.
1 short bolt
1 nut
bolt +nut goes into the sockets

apply torque

I use my beam type to spot check that the clicker is doing what I expect it to.

It is not that expesive if you know where to go.

If you have a quality Torque Wrench, it will pass each year its calibrated for many years.

I use Brylen Technologies in southern California.

http://www.brylen.com/

Second that. Really, it's only like $25 every few years to have it *properly* calibrated and certified.

There's a right way to do some things...

For the wrenches that measue foot-pounds (pounds-feet actually, right?), this may not be as significant, but the YouTube calibration procedure didn't take into account the moment caused by the weight of the torque wrench arm. Could easily put the measurement off by 10-20 inch-pounds.

- John

Back