What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Size of nail for close q die??

JeremyL

Well Known Member
Hey guys, just a quick question, I’m about to run to Lowe’s for some things. Does anyone know the correct finishing nail size to purchase for the Cleveland close quarters dimple die? The one you pull with a rivet gun. Thanks I’m advance

Nail

I always take the dies with me. Nails are not that consistent. Go through the bin and select 10 or 20 that fit perfectly.

I always take the dies with me. Nails are not that consistent. Go through the bin and select 10 or 20 that fit perfectly.

Good point, although I didn’t know there was a bin of nails there. I was anticipating buying a box of nails?

A Suggested Alternative

This is not secret but, steel mandrels of "Pop" type pulled rivets generally work better - for (at least) a couple of reasons.

1. They are made of a higher strength steel - not much of a chance at pulling the "head" off the stem, unlike a low grade alloy commercial nail.

2. Since they are designed with a "frangible" stem that breaks (repeatedly) at a pre-determined force (much higher than a nail), you get good repeatability of the quality of the dimples being developed, especially with thicker skins (.025 & .032).

3. If you have any Pop rivets already in your inventory - you're good to go without leaving the shop.

If you elect to go this route, you may need to slightly enlarge the holes in the dies to accept the nearest rivet mandrel size available to you.

YMMV

FWIW - Many moons ago I contacted a well known pull rivet manufacturer and inquired as to whether I might be able to buy the stems only, in bulk, and then resell or give them away to VAFer's. No Joy - they didn't even want to discuss it - to much projected liability I guess. Oh well.

HFS

Last edited:
Nails

Good point, although I didn’t know there was a bin of nails there. I was anticipating buying a box of nails?

Yep. Probably have to buy a box. We have a local hardware store. They still have the old "buy by weight" bulk. They dont break. I get two or three uses out of a nail before it gets trashed. They get scarred up and won't go in the tools.

Just me

I didnt have good luck with these "pop" rivet dimplers. I made a jig to hold my rivet set completely flat and then used my rivet gun on a very low setting to hold the mating rivet set. worked like a champ. Here is the picture of the jig. I could adjust the screws to make the dimple die (rivet set) perfectly flat.

Attachments

• 2AF79340-7CC8-487E-988A-6B7F04F7FDE5.jpg
    2AF79340-7CC8-487E-988A-6B7F04F7FDE5.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
#6 hardened trim nails work the best. You can apply greater pulling force without the head pulling thru then with a "bright" standard trim nail.

Back