What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to remove flap anti chafe tape ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
My rehab project has a clear tape on the curve leading edge of the flaps. It is very thin and won't peel off. Any suggestions for removal??

Oh my, your problem brings back memories... I do not have good news - it was awful getting that stuff off mine after around 6 years. I made scrapers from plexiglas, and used a heat gun. There were many, many hours involved. The plexi scrapers worked reasonably well, but they were fairly narrow IIRC. Too wide and one can't get the pressure needed. I tried various solvents, but since mine is painted under the tape, I didn't want to get too aggressive.

For those not following why this is a problem - the polymer crazes and cannot be pulled off. Small shards come off instead.

Patience....

In the truck business we peel a lot of vinyl lettering. On a commercial level, the typical aluminum truck box is stripped by placing a space heater inside, and heating until the outside of the box is about 200F.

If the material is too old to peel, attack it (gently) with a sharpened plastic ice scraper or similar.

Removing the leftover adhesive is painless with the right stuff. Go online and order a bottle of Rapid Tac "Rapid Remover".

And when you are done, replace with stainless steel tape. Looks great and you won't have the same problem down the road.

Thanks for the GREAT link, Kyle!
An added plus in the thread is info on a product that is a viable alternative to the tape most of us use.

I was hoping Kyle would post this so I didn't have to find it. I used his method and can report that:

A) It works great
B) You need a plug-in drill motor, or you'll spend more time charging batteries than removing tape

My flaps are white so I bought some cheap white vynl vehicle wrap, 12" X 60" from amazon and cut strips to use as flap tape. Working great so far, and looks great as well.

Back