What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prebuy inspection gotchas

Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
In light of the recent post by Rick Gray, I thought it might be useful to start a thread with photos of things to look for if one is evaluating an RV to purchase. Obviously, looking in the logbooks and such is pretty standard, but perhaps those out there that have experience in building or doing prebuy inspections could provide a few tidbits of advice and photos of what some of the commonly-seen (or even not-so-commonly-seen) problem areas are on RVs. I'm sure that potential purchasers would be appreciative, and I personally would be appreciative in seeing areas that I might look at more closely on my airplane during my condition inspection.

Greg

Kitplanes

I just wrote an article recently for Kitplanes you might take a look at. :)

Vic

I just wrote an article recently for Kitplanes you might take a look at. :)

Vic

Vic,

I'm not a subscriber to Kitplanes (I've already given my mea culpa to Paul in an unrelated PM :) ). Was curious if you covered the wiring "creativity" that you found on another aircraft that you mentioned to me when doing my annual.

It flies, BTW!!!

-Chuck in Macon

Hire an Experienced Inspector

I think the best advice we can give purchasers (particularly newbie purchasers) is to hire an experienced RV inspector. It is money well spent.

Every RV model will have different things to look for (RV-4 versus an RV-7, for example), but it is hard to describe in a few paragraphs everything that you should be looking at. To examine an RV for purchase you should be an A&P with prior RV experience or at least an RV builder who has completed and flown an RV of that model. Obviously, if you have bought and sold many airplanes in the past, including RVs, this may not be as crucial to you.

Certainly, reviewing past posts here on a particular model will help reveal particular areas of concern to look for.

Chuck

Chuck, glad to see you are finding time to fly, given the new baby. :)
Yes, I think some of the pictures were published.

Vic

Rick's report with pics?

In light of the recent post by Rick Gray, I thought it might be useful to start a thread with photos of things to look for if one is evaluating an RV to purchase. Obviously, looking in the logbooks and such is pretty standard, but perhaps those out there that have experience in building or doing prebuy inspections could provide a few tidbits of advice and photos of what some of the commonly-seen (or even not-so-commonly-seen) problem areas are on RVs. I'm sure that potential purchasers would be appreciative, and I personally would be appreciative in seeing areas that I might look at more closely on my airplane during my condition inspection.

Greg

I'm trying to find Rick Gray's post about the aircraft that he looked at in Colorado, can someone point me to that post?

That was it

That was it but it use to have picture, but it answered my question. That one was a 7A

Nobody has really provided any input on the original request. No pictures, but I can think of a few areas to check:

1. General riveting quality. Determine what parts were quick build, if any, and make sure to check areas that were NOT done at the factory.

2. Looking perpindicular to the long axis of fuselage, check the transition from aluminum to plexiglass where the front of the canopy meets the forward fuselage. Nice smooth curve or is it bumpy or angular? It takes some time and care to make this area look nice.

3 Check the leading edge of the wings where they meet the wing tips. Flush or not so much?

4. Same check for the trailing edge of the ailerons and the wing tips.

5. How well do the fairings fit on the wheel pants, gear legs, and the fuselage/empanage intersection?

6. Are the baffle seals well constructed and actually sealing?

That's a start anyway

erich

Here's some

As I mentioned earlier, I did do an Article that was published in the December Kitplanes. It is on line as well. It seems there is enough interest again so here's some areas to look at that I consistently see as problems (very recently as a matter of fact):

[*]check the trim for proper operation. I just inspected an RV-7 that had been flying for over 200 hours and the elevator trim was backwards. The owner said he got used to it that way!
  • The same RV7 had approximately 1/2 up elevator. The autopilot arm was in the wrong hole and was limiting travel
  • check grounding straps on the engine for tightness and security
  • check exhaust flanges for warping, especially on engines that have been used for racing and lots of aerobatics
  • check magneto timing. I find many that are not set according to the stamp on the engine, contributing to heating problems
  • check all hoses for date codes. It's amazing how many 10 year old hoses I find, and in some cases much, much, older
  • check wheels and tires
  • check ailerons for proper travel.
  • check rudder stops, especially on the 10, Some are broken and the customer doesn't even realize it

Some realy common areas are the use of fiber nuts where castellated nuts are required, such as on the rudder cables and on the rear spar bolts. Also, many people forget to install the larger washer on the outside of the rod end bearings, such as on the engine controls and autopilot arms. This prevents the arm from coming off should the rod end bearing fail.

One other area is to check for full control operation on the throttle and mixture. It's amazing how many I have found that have less than full throw and have been flying that way for a long time. One RV8 owner was telling me what a great performer his aircraft was, especially on takeoff, and I showed him that he had about 3/4 or less travel on the throttle. It had been that way since day one, over 250 hours. I told him to hang on once he got it fixed. :) I also wondered if the rings had actually been able to seat properly.

Now, WITHOUT meaning to offend any builders here, anyone looking at buying an RV needs to really have the tail inspected by someone who REALLY knows what they are doing. I have seen many mistakes on the tails, in some cases warranting the aircraft unworthy. I have seen builders try to hide their mis-drilled holes on the tail (not ethical in my book). We ALL learned on the tails. We ALL made mistakes. The idea is to fix them and move on, not hide them or pretend they don't exist.

Don't forget to check that all of the SB's are complied with, if appropriate. The most often-missed one is the flap motor safety wire.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Vic

One plane Vic and I looked at had wire bundles going through holes in the aluminium structure, and the holes were not padded - big time chafe.

When in flight look to see if the aileron is flush with everything else when in straight and level flight.

Also check to see if the plane falls off to one side in a stall.

Last edited:
First off, I'm not a builder, so the entire idea of purchasing an EAB seemed like one full of pitfalls to me...I was very happy to have the advice and guidance of a guy like Walt Aronow of EXP Aviation in the DFW area helping guide me through the process.

Walt steered me towards the tail area as one to look closely at as well...

Regarding the tail, here are a couple of pictures of the tail of one I rejected:

Bad edge distance, or just flat missing the flange entirely was enough reason to wonder about the rest of the build.

Conversely, one that looks like this:

is probably worth taking a deeper look at.

Since you can't de-construct the airplane during a pre-buy to see how the build went, I ended up using the tail as a proxy for a "howgozit" on how the builder addressed problems when they came up. I ended up asking the sellers to pull the fairings and sending me some pictures of the area before considering investing time and money in travel...if they didn't, I just kept looking.

Unaddressed/un-dealt with problems here sent a message to me that there were probably areas elsewhere that I couldn't/wouldn't be able see that I'd not be happy about, so I moved on to another candidate.

Hope the pics post up all right and some/any of that was usefull...

Rob Schroer

Last edited:
Back