What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB 14/12/06. (RV-12, F-1206F Bearing Bracket Cracks)

I just put my airplane back in service and now two SB's come out. Timing is everything in life.:rolleyes:

I just put my airplane back in service and now two SB's come out. Timing is everything in life.:rolleyes:

"At or before the next annual condition inspection."

Well the way I read both SBs and the "or", you are technically good till your next annual condition inspection if you just signed this one off.

I'll probably order the wing doubler - getting ready for paint and it makes sense to do it now.

The other one you might be able to inspect with one of those camera probes from HF from the fuel pump tunnel.

I did this first half of this SB today - removal of the existing bracket. I haven't attached the tailcone to the fuselage yet, so I had good access. Getting the rivets shanks out of the bearing brackets (after I drilled off the heads) took a fair amount of force. I used the angle drill to "drill & push" the shank out of the bearing bracket.

The new parts are not showing up on Vans web order system. I don't expect them to be free but I doubt of they will be very expensive.

Vans supplied the cockpit side reinforcing upgrade free of charge It just turned up in the mail but not sure about this upgrades and also if you have just finished your annual inspection you have got 12 months to complete this inspection

Does anyone know if the parts required for these 2 SB's are provided by Van's free of charge?

Bob
I could see the logic in not sending the parts for either of these.

Both are addressable for what is likely to be hundreds of flight hours with nothing more than a visual inspection at each annual.

I suspect that these issues are appearing on relatively high time airframes.

This is just guesswork, mind you, and with regards to free parts at least, not one I would mind being proven wrong on.

Both are addressable for what is likely to be hundreds of flight hours with nothing more than a visual inspection at each annual.

I suspect that these issues are appearing on relatively high time airframes.

Correct.

As far as I am aware, these problems have only been detected on N412RV (the red prototype / demonstrator) with 1000+ flight hours.

F-1206F

My question is.... is the replacement part F-1206F better/stronger than the original part F-1206F we received in our fuselage kit?

My question is.... is the replacement part F-1206F better/stronger than the original part F-1206F we received in our fuselage kit?

Yes, but stronger is not the correct description. The original was strong enough but was not stiff enough so after a lot of flight hrs it can develop a crack.
That is the reason for making a different part available ( and supplying it in new kits from this point on )

Bracket Inspection

I used a cheap endoscope to look at bracket thru rear inspection plate hole. The picture is from the rear looking forward. One of several pics. Bracket looks good. Took less than an hour. ( 709.5 hours BTW )

Last edited:
I was wondering if you'd chime in JB. Good to know your bracket is OK at 700+ hours. How do your wing rivets look (the other SB)?

Last edited:
Good to Know

Its good to know we don't have to remove the Tank to do the inspection. Wasn't thrilled about pulling the tank or delaying the inspection till next condition inspection.

Thanks John

Gary E

I am going to try taking a close-up snapshot of the subject bracket area with my cell phone camera or digital camera. I am hoping that the focus/clarity of the picture will be sufficient to check for cracks. We'll see!

Wings check - -

Mine were good also. I'd say if you land on turf often, fly in rougher air, harder landings etc, likely all would contribute to those rivets loosening.

checked mine with endoscope and they are both good. Also the bottom wing skin to spar rivets show no wear at all. 603 hours all flown off private grass strip.

Brad Stiefvater
Salem SD

Endoscope

John, what did you use to "fish" the camera into place?
Scott

I used a cheap endoscope to look at bracket thru rear inspection plate hole. The picture is from the rear looking forward. One of several pics. Bracket looks good. Took less than an hour. ( 709.5 hours BTW )

I used about a 2 foot length of wire and taped it to the camera and cord to make it flexible and then bend it to the position you need . I think John did the same thing.

Brad Stiefvater

Scope worked fine, BUT

I spent the better part of an hour looking for something like this without finding it. You go in the rearmost belly inspection panel and go aft, right? Do you have to somehow get into one of the other "compartments" outside the one you're in? John's picture looks like he has the scope pointed aft (from the inspection port) slightly down, and slightly to the pilot side. I'm looking at the belly skin when I do that. Directions please??

Wayne (lost inside the belly of my RV-12)

Try to help - -

As Brad said, tape camera to a piece of fairly firm wire. Bend a 160 degree bend near the end so the camera is nearly looking back at you. Once inserted up thru rear-most inspection port and run up thru center section, you can twist as need to look as though you were in the rear looking forward toward the bracket in question. Takes a little time to bend wire and twist to get shots you want. Works. You can get this little camera into almost any part of the plane to see things. For $20 or so, handy to have around.

sooooooo, has anyone made this replacement? i am at a point building that it is assembled but the fuse. is not attached to the tail. the bracket is right there but forward rivets [i think] don't allow an angle drill a 90 deg. shot and most builders probably have the factory head against the bearing containment. this is a 1/4'' of alum to drill thru or pound a rivet out of. i don't picture myself pulling this one off without at the very least also replacing the parts containing the bearing and probably adding doublers onto the ribs where i have ruined the rivet holes. am i just seeing doom where it isn't. i thought i would just do this now as it will never be easier but this looks like a lot of material at risk.

sooooooo, has anyone made this replacement? i am at a point building that it is assembled but the fuse. is not attached to the tail. the bracket is right there but forward rivets [i think] don't allow an angle drill a 90 deg. shot and most builders probably have the factory head against the bearing containment. this is a 1/4'' of alum to drill thru or pound a rivet out of. i don't picture myself pulling this one off without at the very least also replacing the parts containing the bearing and probably adding doublers onto the ribs where i have ruined the rivet holes. am i just seeing doom where it isn't. i thought i would just do this now as it will never be easier but this looks like a lot of material at risk.
If the between-the-lines question here is whether or not you should fix it now, consider that doing it now will relieve you of an annual requirement to find a way to get back in there and look at, a task you will likely approach with fingers crossed because changing it years from now is going to be far more difficult.

If the between-the-lines question here is whether or not you should fix it now, consider that doing it now will relieve you of an annual requirement to find a way to get back in there and look at, a task you will likely approach with fingers crossed because changing it years from now is going to be far more difficult.

It doesn't do away with the inspection requirement.
This area should be inspected during every condition inspection in accordance with FAR 43 appendix D (as required by your operating limitations) regardless of whether the modification prescribed in SB 14-12-06 has been done or not.
When a S.B says inspect until the modification has been made, it is an attempt to direct a person to pay special attention to an area so that something doesn't get missed. Making the modification complies with Van's recommendation, but it does not relieve the inspector of complying with the FAA's requirements.

But I do agree you may as well do it now though. You will never have better access.....

Last edited:

I am exactly where you are and I have purchased the parts to do the job. But, I have not looked at what it will take to do the work. I hope it will not be as complex as you think it will be.

Regardless, it will never be easier so I will do it now.

Pain in the butt

I have an early number and bought all the bits before I retired. I don't have the tail cone attached yet but did this SB. Even with my fairly easy access this is a mega PINB. How you would do this in a completed aircraft is beyond me.
Jim D

If you have the tailcone off and have not installed F-1273-L or R this job is pretty easy using a 12" bit. If you have already installed F-1273-L and R drill out the rivets and remove those panels for easier access to the bearing bracket rivets. Worked good for me. :)

I just received the back ordered SB kit today. I removed the affected parts about three weeks ago with no issues. The procedure took less than 30 minutes to complete. I have the tank out and the rear bulkhead removed, although this operation could be performed with the bulkhead in place. Fortunately, the LP4-3 rivets I originally installed had the shop head accessible from the tunnel area. The 90 air drill I used has 1/4" center of bit to edge of tool dimension. You will need a tool like this to get to 2 of the rivets with precision if performing from the top side. Tap the mandrel out, use a #40 pilot bit, and drill out with #30 bit.

I received the parts and started the repair. It was easy until I got to setting the AN rivets, I could not figure out how to get them set. I called Vans and got a CR blind rivet replacement option which seems like it will be easier. Any hint on how to set those AN rivets in that confined space?

Any hint on how to set those AN rivets in that confined space?

I plan to install the SB this afternoon. From what I remember, my plan was to squeeze the AN rivets then install the assembly in one unit with the included pull rivets. Is that not possible? I am not at home right now to inspect.

It doesn't do away with the inspection requirement.
This area should be inspected during every condition inspection in accordance with FAR 43 appendix D (as required by your operating limitations) regardless of whether the modification prescribed in SB 14-12-06 has been done or not.
When a S.B says inspect until the modification has been made, it is an attempt to direct a person to pay special attention to an area so that something doesn't get missed. Making the modification complies with Van's recommendation, but it does not relieve the inspector of complying with the FAA's requirements.

But I do agree you may as well do it now though. You will never have better access.....
Ah, interesting.

Does it change anything with regards to the log books? IOW, would I make an explicit logbook entry for "C/W annual inspection req. SB 14-12-06" or similar for the periods prior to making the physical changes, then revert to the all-inclusive "deemed airworthy" type of wording after? Or is it just assumed with the latter entry regardless of whether I've used the replacement parts?

I plan to install the SB this afternoon. From what I remember, my plan was to squeeze the AN rivets then install the assembly in one unit with the included pull rivets. Is that not possible? I am not at home right now to inspect.

I did mine this past week and that's how I did it. Riveted the angles to the bracket and then installed it.

It was not easy installing the new bracket. It is much stiffer than the old one and was a very tight fit. My tailcone is not attached, so I had easy access. As I was installing the bracket, I was thanking my lucky stars that I didn't have to do this on a finished airplane.

I plan to install the SB this afternoon. From what I remember, my plan was to squeeze the AN rivets then install the assembly in one unit with the included pull rivets. Is that not possible? I am not at home right now to inspect.[/QUOTE

I think I was following the directions which said to install the angles first. The holes in the new plate are slightly over sized, I believe to allow for some flexibility which you would not have if you riveted it first.

not in my shop but it occurred to me that to drill out the forward rivets with mfg. head outboard i may be able to drill thru some structure with a 1/8'' drill 12 '' long. i do not have any skins installed in this area.

Step 7 says: Rivet the new Brace to the Angles. I left out a few word and part numbers.

It would be more clear if it said Rivet the Angles to the Brace - even though the meaning is the same.

Step 8 then has you cleco the new Brace/Angle assembly to the bulkhead and ribs.

I received the parts and started the repair. It was easy until I got to setting the AN rivets, I could not figure out how to get them set. I called Vans and got a CR blind rivet replacement option which seems like it will be easier. Any hint on how to set those AN rivets in that confined space?

The procedure calls for the angles to be riveted to the brace, before installing and riveting the brace assembly into the fuselage.

Insertion tip - the boxed area the brace installs in is wider at the bottom. Positioning the brace to the bottom and then moving it upward into place will make the process easier.

Ah, interesting.

Does it change anything with regards to the log books? IOW, would I make an explicit logbook entry for "C/W annual inspection req. SB 14-12-06" or similar for the periods prior to making the physical changes, then revert to the all-inclusive "deemed airworthy" type of wording after? Or is it just assumed with the latter entry regardless of whether I've used the replacement parts?

For an experimental, all that is required to be in your log book is an entry worded to match the requirement dictated by your operating limitations.

If you own an S-LSA RV-12, it would be in your best interest (more specifically a mechanic signing his name to the log book for a condition inspection) to specifically reference compliance to the S.B. by inspection or installation of the new parts.

SB 14/12/06 Experiences

My inspection of F-1206F IAW SB 14-12-06 showed a crack in the right side flange around the rivet very similar to what was shown in the SB. I found an additional crack about 3/8 inches long starting in the brace area at the aft right outboard edge of the part. I submitted a RV-12 Feedback Form to Van?s Engineering last week with a photo showing the cracks. Total time on my RV-12 at the inspection was 224.4 hours.

It took a helper and I about 3 hours to remove the bearing bracket brace. It was very difficult to drive the rivet mandrels out of the bearing bracket assembly. To get enough room to swing the hammer, I cut off the shank of a #40 drill and held it with small vice grips. Due to the thickness of the bearing bracket assembly it took a lot of force to drive the mandrels out. Then the rivet would spin when I tried to drill the manufactured head and there wasn't enough of the shop head to grab with pliers or dikes. I then had to cut out a part of the bearing bracket brace because it was 2" wide and I only had a 1" angle drill. The manufactured heads for the forward flange rivets were on the aft side so we had to use a mirror to make sure we were in the center of the manufactured head before drilling. Once the head was removed it was easy to grab the shop head and pull out the remaining part of the rivet. There was plenty of shop head to grab since the flange and sheet metal was thin.

I riveted the new brace to the angles using the solid rivets outside the aircraft. I don?t see how you can squeeze the solid rivets with the angles installed in the airplane. Getting the assembled angles and brace into position to rivet was another interesting experience because you have rivet shop heads above and below where the bracket assembly needs to go. I agree with whoever said start with the assembly at the bottom channel and then try to move it into position. After an hour or so of trying every angle and orientation possible the assembly will mysteriously jump over the shop heads and into place. Final riveting of the bracket assembly into place is pretty anticlimactic. Bob Kibby N712BK

224 hours!

I thought Scott mentioned that the factory -12 had over 1000 hours on it before these cracks were identified. 224 hours doesn't seem like very long - definitely gets one's attention. Would you mind sharing the picture(s)?

N712BK Bracket Cracks

I am unable to post attachments on this forum. It has been so long since I posted photos I don't remember the process. Send me a private e-mail with you e-mail address and I'll e-mail you the photo. Since I sent the photo to Van's, Scott may be able to post it. Bob Kibby N712BK

Picture of F-1206 brace crack (from Bob Kibby)

My inspection of F-1206F IAW SB 14-12-06 showed a crack in the right side flange around the rivet very similar to what was shown in the SB. I found an additional crack about 3/8 inches long starting in the brace area at the aft right outboard edge of the part. I submitted a RV-12 Feedback Form to Van?s Engineering last week with a photo showing the cracks. Total time on my RV-12 at the inspection was 224.4 hours.

It took a helper and I about 3 hours to remove the bearing bracket brace. It was very difficult to drive the rivet mandrels out of the bearing bracket assembly. To get enough room to swing the hammer, I cut off the shank of a #40 drill and held it with small vice grips. Due to the thickness of the bearing bracket assembly it took a lot of force to drive the mandrels out. Then the rivet would spin when I tried to drill the manufactured head and there wasn't enough of the shop head to grab with pliers or dikes. I then had to cut out a part of the bearing bracket brace because it was 2" wide and I only had a 1" angle drill. The manufactured heads for the forward flange rivets were on the aft side so we had to use a mirror to make sure we were in the center of the manufactured head before drilling. Once the head was removed it was easy to grab the shop head and pull out the remaining part of the rivet. There was plenty of shop head to grab since the flange and sheet metal was thin.

I riveted the new brace to the angles using the solid rivets outside the aircraft. I don?t see how you can squeeze the solid rivets with the angles installed in the airplane. Getting the assembled angles and brace into position to rivet was another interesting experience because you have rivet shop heads above and below where the bracket assembly needs to go. I agree with whoever said start with the assembly at the bottom channel and then try to move it into position. After an hour or so of trying every angle and orientation possible the assembly will mysteriously jump over the shop heads and into place. Final riveting of the bracket assembly into place is pretty anticlimactic. Bob Kibby N712BK

2r26w48.jpg

Yikes! I bought the kit and wasn't looking forward to drilling those rivets out but after this the part will go in this weekend. I don't have the tail cone on so it's accessible. For driving mandrels or solid rivets out I use an auto punch with the theory that the G force applied is a much shorter, high G spike as opposed to a long duration (lot's of energy under the curve) pulse from a hammer and punch. Works very well for me.

Install tip......

For those that have the rivets installed so that the shop head is on the bracket flange..... (as shown in the photo)
Use a dremel type tool to grind the shop heads off of the rivets. It doesn't matter if you grind into the flange material of the bracket because it will be discarded. Once the heads have been ground flush to the flange, it should not be too difficult to get the bracket out (you could even cut it into two pieces using the dremel tool) and then remove the remainder of the rivets.

I had the same issue with squeezing the solid rivets to make the assembly before installing it. It took about 5 minutes to figure out there was no way it was going in as an assembly. I ended up removing the top two rivets on one of the bearing brackets to get the clearance needed to get the brace assembly positioned.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

It took about 5 minutes to figure out there was no way it was going in as an assembly.

I guarantee that it can be done, or the install document (which was confirmed while a test installation was done on the RV-12 prototype) would have been written differently.
As mentioned previously, the space is a little wider at the bottom, and the two ribs are slightly flexible at the back.

Back