What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Stall Horn Wiring Question

blueflyer

Well Known Member
Here is a pic of how Vans says to wire the stall horn:

Here is a pic of my radio shack buzzer attached and wired as described above:

I tested the radio shack buzzer by itself and the thing is so loud I need hearing protection. But, when I hook it into the little circuit board, the buzzer is barely audible. What am I doing wrong?

Output

Just a guess without a schematic...
The output of the board is designed to supply an audio mixer. It's not a 12v switched output.

I have a feeling you are right. Can anyone tell me if I will have to buy another type stall horn if I want to use this radio shack buzzer in the cockpit?

My peon brain cant see a way to use the Vans stall horn assembly to supply power to the buzzer.

Why not wire the switch directly to the buzzer, or through s relay if the amps are too much for the switch.

The PWB is just a converter for an audio input to a radio or something.

Dave

Like this...

stallhorndiagram_zps7b7a1ed5.jpg

Thank you both! That's what I wanted to do but I didn't know how! Pictures are worth a 1000 words.

The Vans buzzer board produces its own low-voltage tone to be fed into your intercom or audio panel so that you can hear the stall warning in your headset. Nothing wrong with ditching the board and using your own buzzer if you don't want to hear it through your headset and instead want it to scream to the whole cockpit like a Skyhawk.

Efis

If you have an EFIS, they all have discreet inputs. Wire one of the discreet inputs to the stall switch, and the other side of the stall switch to ground. Then setup the input as active low and configure it as stall in the efis. At least the g3x will then flash a warning and sound a buzzer all by itself (also assuming efis connected to an audio panel or radio with intercomm)

Back