What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with GRT Sport EFIS

dbc12

Brief History: Purchased GRT Sport 1 yr ago. Have had a problem with the unit booting up. When power is applied, the backlight screen will flash then go blank with nothing to follow. Other times, the GRT logo appears as it should and the "accept " page follows with normal function. The unit has been back to GRT twice. The processor was replaced the first time and the processor again along with the main board the second. The unit was placed back in the plane two weeks ago and seemed to act "differently" on initial start up but functioned fine until today when it wouldn't boot up at all until after the flight when it decided to work normally.

I love the guys at GRT but I'm getting frustrated. They've been telling me for six months that they've had this problem with occasional units and they're working on a graphics driver patch. In the meantime, this EFIS is totally unreliable and I have to believe others have had similar problems. Any thoughts before I call them tomorrow and lose my cool. Thanks.

After my Dynon D6 failed for the second time ("blue screen of death") Dynon offered to send me a factory refurbished unit in exchange. I swapped units and sent them the broken one back.
I thought this was fair.

Bob

I had the same thing happen to one of two horizon hx's this summer. I never contacted GRT. I turned it off and waited a minute, everything booted normally. If it happens more frequently I will call, otherwise very happy with GRT.

Judging by the response, this is not a widespread problem. Hopefully, it's just my unit. I'll talk with Carlos at GRT today and hopefully, replacement is in order. Thanks for the input.

Don

I've had it happen a few times on boot. I just reset it with the buttons and it reboots normally. I've never had it do anything strange in flight just as it boots.

Actually I had similar issues when I first got mine (3 yrs ago). It worked fine for about a month, then wouldn't complete the boot up, went to blank white screen, had serious display distortions, etc. GRT turned it around for me in a couple days (don't know what they did), but it's been OK ever since.

After a "missed approach"...last night my whole screen went dead. I re-set the master switch in flight and the unit re-booted, but with none of the features, engine or flight working properly.

I started it again this morning and went flying and it acted normal. Went to go fly again this afternoon and the unit won't even boot up now.

virtually nothing on their website or manuals for troubleshooting...

Thanks,

Steve

About the only thing to troubleshoot is power connections.
Be sure to check both positive and ground connections.
If those are good, then it is time for GRT to troubleshoot...

Back