What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Broken muffler tang

EastCoastFlyer

Friend
My -12ULS is in for paint. The painter notice two broken exhaust stack springs and a broken tang missing from the muffler. Has anyone had this happen? Anyone know who could weld a new tang on? It was 6 hours since the condition inspection when all looked fine and only 35 hrs total time.....

Attachments

• FCC7F856-BE88-406F-83AB-E3B533206B01.jpg
    FCC7F856-BE88-406F-83AB-E3B533206B01.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 316
You need to get Red High temp silicone RTV gasket sealer on the clips and inside the springs, to dampen and prevent the vibration that cracks the springs.

New springs can be had from Aircraft Spruce, that are SS. Perhaps also original springs from Van's.

It looks like Red RTV was used on the ends of the springs.

Can't tell if it was used inside the springs (current rev. level of KAI recommends a stripe of RTV on the outside, 2 sides)

If you haven't already, I highly recommend you get a dynamic propeller balance done.

I filled the springs with red RTV after installation and put red RTV on the spring ends. If you enlarge the picture you can see the RTV filling the top of the spring and RTV still stuck to the aft muffler tang. I did not put stripes on the outside of the spring, I will next time and I bought some extra springs during Initial build.

My real concern is why the welded tang on the muffler broke off and how I can fix it without buying a new muffler. Again, if you look carefully, it looks like the tang broke off at the weld...

Who could weld on a tang

Seek out someone with TIG equipment and knows about welding stainless steal. I know who I would consult with in my area, Denver, but it can be welded. You’ll likely need to take the exhaust tube and take to their shop.

I know a guy With a Rotax 912 in his Kit Fox And he had an exhaust tube crack. He had it repaired by Rick Robbins here in the Denver area (Westminster) and it looked great.

This is clearly a vibration issue.

Brad Stiefvater
124Bj 1060 hours
First customer built RV 12 to be airworthied
9-30-2009

Back