What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RE: 40 amp Alt to 60 Alt

fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE: 40 amp Alt to 60 Alt

I am going to change out my B and C 40 amp Alternator to a 60 amp B and C Alternator. Any advice on fit under an RV7A cowl for those who have done this. Anyother advise on the mechanics of this change welcomed.

Frank,

Used a 60 B&C on the 7A and had to put blister on it.
Also had a Sam James Cowl.

Hope it helps.

Depends.....

Depends on the engine. I have a O-360 A1A and have lots of clearance, no issues at all on the install using thier hanger kit and standard Vans cowl. Wouldn't do anything different.

Bill S

Which cowl do you have? I have the narrow O-360 cowl and only have about 1/2" clearance between the pulley and cowl with a 40a B&C. Don't think the 60 would fit mine.

RE: Cowl Type

Which cowl do you have? I have the narrow O-360 cowl and only have about 1/2" clearance between the pulley and cowl with a 40a B&C. Don't think the 60 would fit mine.

I have the Vans cowl that accommodates air induction from the left air ramp of the baffling. Because I have an ECi engine with ram air induction I added a snout to accommodate this. You would think after all the times I have looked at this area, had the cowl on and off I would know how much clearence that I have.

I guess I will just have to get out to the airport and check it out in person!!!!!

Thanks for the responses

Back