What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is anything going on with Falcon Insurance/Chartis?

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
I renewed my insurance in through Falcon in May as I have for many years. Every thing is fine then I receive an e-mail telling me that I have to fill out a new "PERSONAL PLEASURE & BUSINESS FIXED-WING AIRCRAFT INSURANCE APPLICATION" for Chartis Aerospace Insurance Services, Inc. two months into my new contract. In 30 years of flying and aircraft ownership I have never experienced such a thing. I am almost certain it is not in my best interest to fill out a new document and sign it for something I already have in my hands. I can't help but feel that I am being set up for something.

What is the experience of others in this kind of situation?

Bob Axsom

RE: ?????

Bob

Just paid for my renewal with Chartis, with Skysmith ( July 9, 2012 renewal) and filled out the usual Docs. Have not seen the new paper work YET. I do agree with you that to fill out new Docs after the acquisition of the new policy seems odd at a minimum. Call your agent and find out what is going on.

Please keep us informed as you walk this tight rope!!!

I've had this happen in the past. I just filled in the info and sent it in and never heard another word. Doesn't happen every year, but not unusual.

Dan

That's good to hear

I've had this happen in the past. I just filled in the info and sent it in and never heard another word. Doesn't happen every year, but not unusual.

Dan

I called the agency and that's essentially what I was told but it makes no sense to me that out of the blue they would do this. There has to be a stimulus.

Bob Axsom

Interesting. I have Falcon/Chartis and have not had this issue come up.

I called the agency and that's essentially what I was told but it makes no sense to me that out of the blue they would do this. There has to be a stimulus.

For over twenty years I've insured my Cherokee with USAIG and for four years I've insured my RV with Chartis (previously AIG). I tend to stay with the same company each year and not switch.

All I can say is that I get hit with this type of request about every two years, have supplied the requested data, and never had any kind of problem.

My own conjecture is that the agency provides you with a form to gather info for the renewal, they then shop the insurance with the carriers, and after choosing one, the insurance company requests an updated sheet with a slightly different dataset.

In this case, Falcon is acting as the agent and Chartis is the insurance company.

Dan

medical waiver

For the first time when applying for insurance for a non rv for Vic, two separate brokers asked about any medical waivers one prior to the quote and one with the paperwork accompanying the application. I don't ever remember them asking this before, although maybe I am sensitive now as Vic has a medical waiver. The brokers who asked were Hardy and Nationair. Sounds like it is standard operating practice now.

Companies require applications be completed and signed occasionally. Especially Chartis - after the "bailout" debacle several years ago, AIG (Chartis) is under strict internal and external scruitny. Applications after the policy is bound is common practice in aviation. Be sure to tell the truth.

Do you have to? Yes - Chartis will send a 30-day (or 45-90, depending on your state) notice of cancellation and cancel your policy if you don't.

No big deal. It's just you officially warranting your underwriting info.

For the first time when applying for insurance for a non rv for Vic, two separate brokers asked about any medical waivers one prior to the quote and one with the paperwork accompanying the application. I don't ever remember them asking this before, although maybe I am sensitive now as Vic has a medical waiver. The brokers who asked were Hardy and Nationair. Sounds like it is standard operating practice now.

Carol - accidents, incidents, waivers, violations, felonies, DUIs have always been part of the underwriting process. Some brokers forget to ask and just assume "none". Better to tell them if you do and have them sned in the correct info up front than having a problem after a loss with info that you didn't disclose.

Back