What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL39R to GDL52R questions

Planecrazy232

Well Known Member
I know the "correct" answer to this, (read the instructions:rolleyes:) and G3Xpert has been helpful, but I could use some real world answers to these questions. I'm replacing my GDL39R with a GDL52R which is the SXM receiver.

My GDL39R is mounted vertically on the avionics subpanel. The GDL52R COULD mount in the exact spot, but the installation instructions call for it to be mounted horizontally within a few degrees of the longerons. The instructions also calls to "Cage the gyros" with the plane level, flying position.

So the questions are:

#1- Will this thing work in the vertical position, and:

#2- What does the GDL52R talk to that needs the attitude positioning?

Synthetic Vision?

I would guess that it is for synthetic vision to a Garmin portable (796, 660, 760 etc.) or the garmin pilot app. That is what the GDL39 3D does on my -7. It is
for the built in AHARS.
Figs

Anthony,

Your G3X Touch system doesn't use the attitude data from the GDL 52R in any way.

As Figs stated, the attitude data is only used by portable devices like the Aera 660/760/79X and some tablets for their 3D Vision page.

ACtC-3cdfKx6rX5l-bFNX-_Vc_7IvrDqHFIILLq59jc73ixAqp3tPBYseNNqSsv4mIPPqj22415jvBUn13W4Rgckc04iGAKGFAEa8av0gAxud6tT8orkWzqhzCWnCM2gE-ZSiRdX3NFkIhIVjklPgrUjU8E2=w360

If you don't need to use that page on those devices, you can mount the GDL 52R anyway you like.

Steve

Anthony,

Your G3X Touch system doesn't use the attitude data from the GDL 52R in any way.

As Figs stated, the attitude data is only used by portable devices like the Aera 660/760/79X and some tablets for their 3D Vision page.

ACtC-3cdfKx6rX5l-bFNX-_Vc_7IvrDqHFIILLq59jc73ixAqp3tPBYseNNqSsv4mIPPqj22415jvBUn13W4Rgckc04iGAKGFAEa8av0gAxud6tT8orkWzqhzCWnCM2gE-ZSiRdX3NFkIhIVjklPgrUjU8E2=w360

If you don't need to use that page on those devices, you can mount the GDL 52R anyway you like.

Steve

Steve that’s exactly the information I needed. Thank you!

Back