What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch Config Questions

macrafic

Well Known Member
Hi, I have upgraded my panel to a 3-display G3X Touch (from a non-touch system) and have completed the configuration, with the following remaining questions/issues. Your help would be much appreciated!!!

I can not locate where to input my engine information (type, hp, engine time, total time, etc.). If I go to the "Engine & AIrframe" section from the main config screen, I am taken to the Engine/Airframe Input Configuration Page. I can not find a way to get to the EIS Configuration Page. (Page 34-119 of the latest G3X Touch Install manual).

I also can not find my flight logs. Per the latest G3X Touch pilot guide, page 382, on my MFD with my logging SD card installed, I should be able to hit MENU twice to get to the main menu and see a Flight Log button. I do not see the button. I am using the logging SD card from my previous non-touch system (nothing else on the card), if that makes a difference. What magic must I perform to get to my flight logs?

Thanks in advance!

G3X Touch Configuration

Hi, I have upgraded my panel to a 3-display G3X Touch (from a non-touch system) and have completed the configuration, with the following remaining questions/issues. Your help would be much appreciated!!!

I can not locate where to input my engine information (type, hp, engine time, total time, etc.). If I go to the "Engine & AIrframe" section from the main config screen, I am taken to the Engine/Airframe Input Configuration Page. I can not find a way to get to the EIS Configuration Page. (Page 34-119 of the latest G3X Touch Install manual).

I also can not find my flight logs. Per the latest G3X Touch pilot guide, page 382, on my MFD with my logging SD card installed, I should be able to hit MENU twice to get to the main menu and see a Flight Log button. I do not see the button. I am using the logging SD card from my previous non-touch system (nothing else on the card), if that makes a difference. What magic must I perform to get to my flight logs?

Thanks in advance!

Good Afternoon,

While in configuration mode, touch Engine & Airframe. There will be several tabs at the top of the menu. Select Settings.

Select Engine Time and press the MENU button. Select Enable Time Editing to update the engine time. You can use the same process to edit the Total Time. Pressing the SAVE button takes you back to the Settings menu. From here select Engine Power to enter your powerplant information.

Engine%20Config-XL.jpg

The flight data logs are written to the card while in flight. You can then insert your SD Card into your computer and download the flight logs as .CSV files.

Thanks,

Justin

Double check that 'SD Card Data Logging' feature is turned on in the configuration. See section named 'Data Log Configuration Page' in the G3xTouch install manual.

If I recall that feature was not enabled on my G3xTouch.

Good Afternoon,

While in configuration mode, touch Engine & Airframe. There will be several tabs at the top of the menu. Select Settings.

Select Engine Time and press the MENU button. Select Enable Time Editing to update the engine time. You can use the same process to edit the Total Time. Pressing the SAVE button takes you back to the Settings menu. From here select Engine Power to enter your powerplant information.

Engine%20Config-XL.jpg

The flight data logs are written to the card while in flight. You can then insert your SD Card into your computer and download the flight logs as .CSV files.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin, thanks! My GDU 470 only shows 2 tabs. I missed the little green arrow at the top right that allows me to scroll to the right for more tabs. Good to go on the engine/total times.

Not so on the flight logs. I have verified in the configuration that "SD Card Data Logging" is Enabled, with a "Maximum SD Card Log Files" setting of 250. Yet, when in normal mode on my MFD, selecting Menu>Menu, I do NOT see a "Flight Log" button. I see a "Track Log" button, but no "Flight Log". As I mentioned, the SD card that I have in the MFD is the same data logging SD card that I had been using in my previous G3X Non-touch; it has not been cleared. Might this be causing me issues? Can you think of any reason I am not seeing a "Flight Log" button?

Hi, I have upgraded my panel to a 3-display G3X Touch (from a non-touch system).

Thanks in advance!

Hi Rich,

I think you better go re-read the Flight Log section in the pilot guide. You will notice that it says NOTHING about an SD card. Every G3X and G3X Touch system stores up to 50 flights in internal MFD memory even if data logging is disabled and there is no SD card in any display. This logging is very simple and just shows things like departure/destination airport, route of flight, flight time, and distance.

It sounds like you have not yet flown your G3X Touch system, so it is perfectly normal that you have no flights stored in the internal Flight Log display memory.

I pretty much ignore the Flight Log page (very little value) because the heavy-duty flight data logging is a totally separate feature that logs tons of data including attitude, position, velocity, altitude, engine data, fuel flow, fuel used, autopilot and flight director data, and much more to the SD card(s) in the displays. It is this data that I upload to my FlyGarmin logbook after every flight and use to study trends in engine data and autopilot performance.

ACtC-3ei-ogPVZvFPoxa1ChXQgThsf1W0U4gJcpYbS2sFAcqm-t199DXZ4w5MfTs80J3mS7bOk2Yg2oelGtdRS7mxFRC_Yfh7CO77L-n1oPOaN6VcW7QyXp-cM_ATL1mfmqJE9e-tbXcSFYTPX0gjOfdPxEC=w800

Steve

Last edited:
I think I found the problem I was having with finding the flight logs. In Appendix B of the Pilot Guide, it indicates that the flight logs will only show on PFD1 in a multi-display system. I have been looking on my MFD, where they were on my G3X non-touch system. I will run out to the plane later today to verify.

Flight Logs

I think I found the problem I was having with finding the flight logs. In Appendix B of the Pilot Guide, it indicates that the flight logs will only show on PFD1 in a multi-display system. I have been looking on my MFD, where they were on my G3X non-touch system. I will run out to the plane later today to verify.

Hey Rich,

That is correct, and could be the cause of some confusion. The flight logs were held in the MFD in G3X, and are held in the PFD in G3X Touch. I apologize, I misunderstood your original question.

Thanks,

Justin

Just to close out this series of posts, thanks to all who contributed, my two issues are resolved.

Regarding not being able to find the settings tab on the Aircraft configuration page, I simply (many times) missed the small scroll icon in the tabs row. Once I scrolled right, I found the Settings tab.

Regarding my inability to find the flight logs, thanks to the hint to go back to the Pilot Guide, I found Appendix B. There, it explained that flight logs were on PFD1 in a multi-display system. In my previous 3-display non-touch G3X system, they were on my MFD.

I have confirmed in my aircraft that both issues are now resolved.

BTW, I finished my RV-7A build in 2017 after a 12-year build. It would have been years longer and quality a bit less without VansAirforce as a resource. I have retained my paid membership ever since and, in fact, significantly increased my donations, for reasons just like this post. There is still tremendous benefit to continuing to have availability to this resource, to learn of: potential problem areas to watch, new capabilities/software/equipment/etc., proper techniques for planned/unplanned maintenance, upcoming events and pictures/stories from past events, and the list goes on. Just as important, I remain a member to stay in touch with other builders and the entire social community of like thinkers. I ENCOURAGE ALL TO DO YOUR PART TO KEEP THIS WONDERFUL RESOURCE GOING, EVEN POST BUILD!!

setting disappears

Hi G3Xperts.
Sorry to reopen this but hoping for an easy response.

I have entered the Engine/Horsepower/RPM setting several time in the config page and each time when I go back in the setting has disappeared.

Any idea why this would reset itself?

Thanks

Hi G3Xperts.
Sorry to reopen this but hoping for an easy response.

I have entered the Engine/Horsepower/RPM setting several time in the config page and each time when I go back in the setting has disappeared.

Any idea why this would reset itself?

Thanks

Have you gone to the save and reboot option? If not then that may explain things.

always saved and reboot

Have you gone to the save and reboot option? If not then that may explain things.

Hi Nigel

Have always used save and reboot, not a power cycle off the screen.
And using several version of the firmware including the latest as of 2 weeks ago.

Cheers.

Back