What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D10A Intermittent Failure

JordanGrant

Well Known Member
This must be an exceedingly rare thing, because I can't find anyone else complaining about the same thing, but we have an intermittent failure of our 10-yr-old Dynon D10A.
It goes like this:
One day, I'll go out to the airport to go fly and pull the RV-6 out. Upon activating the master switch, the D10A will begin a boot up to the blue screen with the Dynon logo, but then after about 2 seconds reset and try to boot up again. This will repeat, over and over. It is essentially a "blue screen of death" for the D10A, over and over.
So then I'll spend 30 minutes getting it removed from the aircraft. Once it's out, I hit the button to test it and it fires right up on the backup battery like nothing ever happened - perfect.
After re-installation, a few weeks or months will go by and then it will happen again.

Things I've done to this point:
1. Sent to Dynon to get repaired. They could not duplicate the failure, so just sent it back to me with a new backup battery.
2. Updated to latest firmware.
3. Disconnected Keep Alive power connection.

I just had the failure again last week and removed the D10A again (and of course it works fine on the bench right now). I'm almost out of ideas. I'm not really asking for assistance, just wanted to document the problem in case someone else has the same issue.

Jordan, FWIW -you may have done this already, I?d remove the connector back shell & confirm the power/ground dsub sockets are actually seated properly ( do the gentle wire pull test) ;)

try pushing the buttons

I have a D10. A few days ago - mine did the same thing (first time I've had any issues with it). I pushed the buttons on the face while it was trying to boot (pressing one at a time, right to left). On about the third button - it booted up and has been OK since. I'm thinking maybe a button error at boot-up and pressing the offender cleared it. Hope this helps you.

It's happened to me once, it quit in flight. I took it out and checked it over externally, and the connectors. Dynon said 'send it up' but it kept booting up OK on the bench, so I put it back in. Go figure?

Dynon Rebooting

One possible cause may be low voltage to the unit. Check the voltage going into the unit and make sure it's a solid 12-14 volts. Look for things like a loose lead, bad circuit breaker, etc...

Me too

My (now obsolete) D6 started doing the same thing, just this week. Ship?s power or backup battery, same thing.

I've had the same issue. Once the screen went totally black and I thought it was dead. I pulled the d-sub connector off and a couple days later I plugged it back in and the screen turned blue and it worked.

Back