What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does anyone make fuel caps?

localizer

Hi all!
Does anyone make fuel caps for RVs? The kind that you can open without using a screw driver?
I know I can loosen the nut and put some fuel lubricant on the seal. I don't know about loosening the nut though - I will start worrying about leaks.

Thanks!

Andair option

Here is another good looking, somewhat more expensive option from Andair.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/andairfuelcap.php

FYI: If you don't need the locks, there are number of small fuel cap opening tools that you can buy or make that fit nicely on a key ring (smaller than a car key, much smaller than a screwdriver) that work without scratching the surrounding paint area. Some use a small craftsman-brand 3/8 inch wrench, where the open end handles the lever on the cap and the box end goes on your keyring.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=73497&highlight=fuel+cap+mod

This and replacing the hard Viton o-rings with soft durometer silicone o-rings makes them work like butter.

Thanks, Bob, I am surprised the silicone o-rings work with fuel, but clearly they do. Nice mod.

BTW - I have been using DC4 and it dissolves off and gets stiff again quickly. Lately, I use my fuel dip stick and a few drops of fuel on the Viton makes it operate very smoothly - - - once. I ordered some Krytox (a pure PTFE paste) to see if that will retain it's lubricity.

Bill not sure why you think red silicone o-rings don't work with petro fluids, but they do although I'm sure Viton is a better choice, but not available under 70 durometer. I work around the corner from an o-ring distributor. I walk in, show them what I want, and they hook me up. In this case I handed them a fuel cap and told them I wanted softer o-rings.

Bill not sure why you think red silicone o-rings don't work with petro fluids, but they do although I'm sure Viton is a better choice, but not available under 70 durometer. I work around the corner from an o-ring distributor. I walk in, show them what I want, and they hook me up. In this case I handed them a fuel cap and told them I wanted softer o-rings.

I fully agree on softer o-rings. Standard silicone will swell badly, are the red ones a fluorosilicone? FVQM? That seems to be compatible.

Link to nice searchable compatibility chart.

Matt,
I really like those Newtons, but I don’t want a locking cap. Do you know if they make a non-locking cap that would fit the stock flange/filler neck. Basically something that would just be a replacement for the stock Vans caps?

Mark

Van's Aircraft sells them.

It is my understanding from the link that they do NOT fit the old flange.

Last edited:
I think I may give ACS a call and see what they recommend for a direct replacement for the Usher caps. The Ushers work fine, but I'd just like to have something a little more decorative/custom.

Mark

Back