What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick and grip using Aerosport Panel

falcon900guy

Well Known Member
I?m using Infinity grips on an Aerosport symmetrical panel and researching what some have done to the sticks. Cut off some stick up top, at bottom of stick, or bend stick. What has been successful?

Assuming the Aerosport panel is the same height as the stock panel, if you cut the top of the sticks down to as far as you can the Infinity grips fit just fine.

Carl

I have the Aerosport symmetrical panel and cut about 1? off the stick and bent the stick so they just miss the rocker switches.

Not Aerosport

I have a panel from Lancair that had interference. I cut the stick, added a larger tube (called Van's and purchased the same material, same thickness) over the stick with a slight bend (not from bending but from slop in the tube) in it to just clear the panel and had a professional welder tig weld it and it turned out perfect and really strong. I was afraid of bending and fatiguing it, making it weaker.

IMG_2093-L.jpg

Don't forget about clearance to your seats with full nose-up stick. I cut on both ends of mine for clearance to switches/panel. Now, the seats really can't be positioned in the very forward position. Which is fine for me, but I've already been in a few situations where passenger pilots couldn't really use the rudder pedals very well.

Redoing the sticks is on my list of things I'd like to fix in the near future.

Also, I have the "Ultimate Gust Lock". The fitting that is permanently attached to the stick doesn't help with the clearance problem. It digs into the seats if they are slid too far fwd. Don't get me wrong, I like the gust lock. Just want to mention that too.

I?m using Infinity grips on an Aerosport symmetrical panel and researching what some have done to the sticks. Cut off some stick up top, at bottom of stick, or bend stick. What has been successful?

As you noted, people have done all of the above.

I cut about two inches off the back of the stick. Basically up to where the powder coat starts. The does bring the stick closer to you, but I've not found that to be an issue.

I also cut a bit off the top so that that the grip will go further down on the stick. You may have to adjust some of the holes to make the grip fit properly.

I also installed stops on the elevator. Please don't install any stops until you measure and ensure that the elevator travels exceeds the specifications from Van's.

I have the original Aerosport panel. The passenger stick still can hit the right corner of the radio stack, but that really isn't an issue. I've I have to apply full forward stick, I'm really having a bad day. :eek:

Back