What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One Less On My Bucket List

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Well for those that have grown used to me in the 6 years on this board, a milestone was passed today with the official change of my pile of parts into an AIRCRAFT! Only thing left in the bucket is "Test Pilot", coming soon! It better come soon, I turn 80 years old this year
2hxycma.jpg
[/IMG]

That's great Don. I have been following your build for a long time. Thanks for the motivation and have fun with your fly off of the hours!

Well for those that have grown used to me in the 6 years on this board, a milestone was passed today with the official change of my pile of parts into an AIRCRAFT! Only thing left in the bucket is "Test Pilot", coming soon! It better come soon, I turn 80 years old this year
2hxycma.jpg
[/IMG]

Outstanding Don....job well done. You do realize there are not many (taking the population in the USA into consideration) who accomplish something like this.. we are a wierd breed. But few know the joy we share...and we get to fly it!!!

Congratulations, Don.

I also have been following you on this forum, ever since you brought those boxes home, on the back of your pickup truck. I will never forget that picture. For many that have not seen it, please post it again (would make a great "before" and "after" comparison). I got a big kick out of it. That was the beginning of the journey, eh?

I admire your tenacity, great sense of humor and humility. This world would be a much better place, with more like you in it. I mean that.

Good luck with your testing and happy landings.

March on soldier!:)

Woo hoo, Don! Not to worry about testing -- like they say it's a safe airplane just barely able to kill you!😜

You mean when the entire plane fit on the back of my pickup? This was six years ago this month.
ev5o51.jpg
[/IMG]

QUOTE=Driftdown;1139244]Congratulations, Don.

I also have been following you on this forum, ever since you brought those boxes home, on the back of your pickup truck. I will never forget that picture. For many that have not seen it, please post it again (would make a great "before" and "after" comparison). I got a big kick out of it. That was the beginning of the journey, eh?

I admire your tenacity, great sense of humor and humility. This world would be a much better place, with more like you in it. I mean that.

Good luck with your testing and happy landings.

March on soldier!:)[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Congratulations, Don! After all the trials and tribulations and a good deal of entertainment over the years, it's great to see that AF-1 has finally cleared the last big hurdle.

Kudos are due my friend. You are a tenacious individual.
Now, don't go through planes like you do vehicles.
Phase 1....Get'r done!

Congrats Don

Congratulations Don. Let us know how the Honda does for you. We are still trying to decide what to power my brothers 12 with. He is frugal so that doesn't leave us many options and we rather have direct drive. We have already gone EAB on the airframe. I am grounded on my 9A until the FAA acts on the third class ruling.

United Flying Octogenarians

... It better come soon, I turn 80 years old this year

I would suggest you consider joining the UFO's!!! United Flying Octogenarians.

If you fly a fixed or rotary wing as PIC on or after your 80th birthday, you qualify. It's one of my life goals.

Congratulations! Nice start of 2017!
Any weight and balance figures? Really curious what the empty weight is with all thoose options :D

Congratulations

Glad to hear the good news Don!!! Hats off to your success ? wishing you many hours of enjoyment with your unique new bird.

Wow Don, fantastic. I am so happy for you! I have watched your project from afar with great respect, I really admire your gumption (have not used that word for about 30 years but it really applies here!!) Hoping and praying for a safe and wonderful first flight.

Congrats

Hey Don...a big congratulations!! Fortunately you didn't allow Norm to help you.....it would have added another 2 years!!!:D

Yeah, he won't even come down to the Rio Grande Valley even, I think he has an inferiority complex over it or something.

Hey Don...a big congratulations!! Fortunately you didn't allow Norm to help you.....it would have added another 2 years!!!:D

Congratulations Don! No feeling compares does it?
Will look forward to hearing more about your engine and performance.
Dave

Congrats Don, you are tribute to us old guys hanging in there.
Good luck with first flight, prepare for it one day at a time and when you feel
ready just do it!!

Definitely Joe, that is the last item on the bucket list. Probably not this year though, I would rather have it painted first and of course get everything all sorted out to my satisfaction.

Congratulations Don! Proves the best building skill to posses is perseverance!..... Certainly applies to all of us!

I sure like your first flight video, got my old Pacemaker/defibrillator working out! I hope I can get a record of my first as well.

Congratulations Don! Proves the best building skill to posses is perseverance!..... Certainly applies to all of us!

Back