What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat foam

Blain

Well Known Member
Directions for upholstering are unusually vague for Vans. Maybe some help from those who did their own or used a local shop.

Is this really how the front seat mates together?

And the upper cushion doesn't conform to the wedge and ramp( or vice versa)

And patterns are supposed to be just 5/16" oversized for seam. But finding that to be inconsistent to say the least.

Not sure about the RV4, but it all looks about how it was on my RV8. One suggestioon I do have is that I found the front seat wedge cushion to be lacking. With two front bottom cushions, there was a noticeable amount of cushion compression on long trips that caused pain in the back of my upper legs. Once again taking an idea from Dan H , I made the wedge cushion out of foam insulation from Home Depot and covered it with fiberglass before encasing it in leather. Much more comfortable on long trips because less compression and still have good, maybe better, proection from back injury in a hard belly landing situation.

foam vendor

http://www.sunmatecushions.com

Note they have over-run material for a discount price.

The free sample pack has various densities in it - the hardest stuff is good for making the cushion thicker, as it does not compress easily. The Pudgee is great for the top layer - 1/2" is probably enough. We did one seat in the B25 with this material - it is a MUCH better seat now. The bottom cushions are 8" thick, so the bottom 3" is the hard foam material.

Generally, softer density foam is used on the back cushion.

We will copy it into the other seats this winter.

Carry on!
mark

Hey Blain, not sure how much you monitor your threads now that you're flying.. (lucky man!)

But - how did you resolve your seat foam fit in the end? I tried mine for fit last night and it has the same issues with the front seat as your photos.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hey Blain, not sure how much you monitor your threads now that you're flying.. (lucky man!)

But - how did you resolve your seat foam fit in the end? I tried mine for fit last night and it has the same issues with the front seat as your photos.

Cheers,

Hugh

Check VAF almost every day!

So the original plan was for my mother to sew the covers as she was an upholstry seemstres in her earlier days. She saw how complicated the patterns were and politely said no thanks. I assume she didn?t want to disappoint me. Plan ?B? turned out to be Abby at Flightline. Boxed it all up and shipped it to her. Couple of weeks later I received finished seats. Very pleased with her work and pricing. I highly recommend her.

Hey, why are my photobucket images showing???? I didn?t cave to their extortion.

Back