What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatics & Airspace

FLY6584

I'm New Here
Did a search for aerobatics and how they pertain to different airspace's and surprisingly I didn't come up with a whole lot so that means it's either a really easy question or not an issue at all.

I know I should probably dig into the FAR's, but as a military guy I never really worried about it much because our rules stated we had to be in a MOA to do aerobatics in the T-6 so it was never really something I thought about until now as I find myself contemplating the purchase of an RV-3/4.

So what are the rules? Are you prohibited from aerobatics in certain airspaces? What prevents someone from coming up Initial inverted? lol

Thanks guys!

Short version is that you need to be 4nm from the center of any airway and away from congested/populated areas. You also need to be at least 1500ft AGL.

Complete details are covered by FAR 91.303 .

The FARs are perfectly clear about airspace and acro except on two matters - a clear definition of lateral boundaries of "surface area" airspace, and aerobatics over surface-based Class E airports. The first was clarified in a letter from the Chief Counsel in '09. http://www.eaa.ca/news/2006/2006-03-16_faa.asp Basically, this means you can do acro below (or above) any "shelf" of Class B or C airspace, just not within any portion of the "wedding cake".

There is still debate regarding whether aerobatics at 1500' AGL and above (assuming all other requirements of 91.303 are met) over surface-based Class E airports is definitively allowed. The general consensus (along with our IAC governmental liason) is that it is allowed, though the verbiage in the FARs and even the Hucker letter do not make this explicitly clear. Some choose to exercise conservatism on this matter when choosing where to fly acro. Each local FSDO may interpret things differently if you're in the position of being subject to enforcement.

Aerobatics over Class E airports that have only the 700' ring is fine, based on the Hucker letter ruling. These airports do not have surface-based airspace, and the 700' ring "designated" for that airport ends at 1200' AGL. The 1500' AGL rule makes non-surface based airport Class E airspace a non-issue.

Last edited:
Aero away from an airway?

I totally agree with the answer provided by ChiefPilot, but the regulation regarding being more than 4 nm from the center of an airway wouldn't make me feel comfortable if I flew aerobatics. Unless everyone agrees to use our GPS's to fly from VOR to VOR! Yeah, right!

I fully expect the first time a mid-air happens because a cross country pilot flies GPS direct through an area where a local pilot is practicing aerobatics, to see some politician grandstand about restricting more airspace, or forbidding aerobatics by a Pilot with "just a Private Pilot rating," etc. I hope it doesn't happen, but I've seen too many things go awry in my lifetime.

I totally agree with the answer provided by ChiefPilot, but the regulation regarding being more than 4 nm from the center of an airway wouldn't make me feel comfortable if I flew aerobatics. Unless everyone agrees to use our GPS's to fly from VOR to VOR! Yeah, right!

Right on - even using an area well away from airways and navaids, we still see interlopers on a regular basis. Hearing or calling something like "stranger, 3 o'clock low, 2 miles" isn't an uncommon thing.

And no, putting your lift vector on him and pulling isn't an acceptable response :D

Just curious - who still actually flies VOR station-to-station airways these days?

i used to ask the same question working atc in the midwest. now that im out on the west coast, shortcuts happen but are fairly rare. almost everyone is on a "preferential routing."

ATC can be your friend

When I brought my RV-4 to southeast AL, which is right in the middle of the world center for military helicopter training (Fort Rucker), I went to ATC and asked where the best places would be to practice aerobatics. They knew where the least traffic would be, and also the best altitudes to transition to the acro spots (2500 feet AGL). During the week I always monitor the ATC frequency, and can hear when I'm a possible conflict with traffic on their frequency. In the area they recommended for acro during the week, I've only seen about 3 aircraft in about 6 years. As you can imagine, the time between radio calls with ATC in this military training area probably average about 1 second. When I hear the possible conflict with another aircraft or helicopter, which is usually in transition to the acro area, I wag my wings aggressively. On the weekends when the military training is very light, I always contact ATC for flight following and traffic advisories. Since they now know me, they usually just give a squak code immediately after my initial call up since they know what I'm doing. I also found a small airport in the area that welcomes aerobatics over the field above 1500 feet AGL on the weekends. I first obtained permission from the FBO and the local aviation council with a demonstration at their request. With my radio with two receiving frequencies, I can use ATC on the primary frequency during my aerobatic practice over the airport and monitor the CTAF of the airport. The best part about having an airport below you or near will come in handy if you have an emergency.
Enjoy spending quality time vertical and inverted,
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

Join an IAC chapter in your area and practice aerobatics with like minded people who can also help you advance in the sport. Also, you can be like most Aerobatic pilots and apply for your own waivered airspace over the area of your choice.

Back