What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Goose Bay - Iqaluit where is the weak link?

Vlad

Well Known Member
So here I am sitting in deep concrete bunker at work and plotting. :) I have a copy of Canadian AF/D Supplement.

3772d11c.jpg

Have couple questions for my Canadian buddies.

1. What software are you using to fly there?
2. Where do you buy your sectionals?
3. How would you split long legs in two or three? Especially CYYR-CYFB?
4. Where would you stop for weather/relax/exlore?
5. What's the best VFR time of the year there?
6. Is it realistic to make round trip in 5 days?
7. Any recommendation on altitudes? I have O2 on board.

I know there are plenty of seasoned flyers here lurking and not posting. Please PM or email me [email protected] if you like. Words of caution are greatly appreciated too but good advice would do a better job.

Hello Vlad
A lot of the strips up there are gravel. Check them out before you deside on which ones you plan to use.
Ron

Vlad -

I've researched this in the past, although have yet to fly up there. Here's a site of interest: http://polarpilots.ca/

One important thing that I picked up from one of the online resources is that many of the radio outlets up there actually dial a phone number when you break the squelch. So you need to key the mic, wait 30 seconds, and then key it again to make the call. Not certain if that's still the case today or not.

I've also been researching this area for a future trip.

Some pointers:
  • Schefferville is the last 'non-isolated' community with pumped avgas and 'normal' prices.
  • Kuujjuaq CYVP is a popular stop on that route, but with no Avgas.
  • Frobisher Bay /Iqaluit only has 50 gallon drums of Avgas bought in by sea once a year - check availability.
  • The Mogas up there is ethanol free, so may offer an emergency back-up.
  • Qikiqtarjuuaq is also on my potential list of places to visit, on the edge of the Davis straight, but no Avgas.
  • Consider taking a few Jerry cans, well secured, for self-refuelling.
  • ACS supply VFR charts and CFS. WAC charts are no longer available.
  • Digital charts are still promised but not yet delivered.
  • Garmin/Jeppesen Americas database gives standard coverage for all of Canada.
  • July to September gives best weather but delays for VFR can occur frequently.
  • Oxygen altitudes shouldn't be neccesary. Often a high overcast with possible icing, so VFR below cloud would be preferable.
  • I echo the polarpilots site for information about Baffin Island/Nunavut.
There's some interesting history surrounding Frobisher and the Crimson Route in WW2 following Jack Crowell's vanguard team.
If you can get insurance, a trip to Ilulissat in Disko Bay, Greenland would be a bucket list trip.

RE: WHAT??????

It has been along time since I watch this video of Terry's but at 28.26 of the video ...... you have got to be kidding me ..... they see VAL-D or is it VLAD they see??????
What up with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!::eek::D

Last edited:
Ron,Mike, Mark and Frank! Thanks a lot! Great pointers there and good reads. Thank you all who emailed me with your suggestions. If anybody else has something to share please do.

[*]The Mogas up there is ethanol free, so may offer an emergency back-up.

To clarify, most (but not all) premium mogas in Canada is ethanol free in my experience, but the lower grades are not. Husky/Mohawk premium is higher octane than other brands, but accomplishes this by using significant amounts of ethanol (works great in a high boost forced induction automotive application, by the way!)

My remark was based on a quote from the polarpilots site:
A couple of years ago, there was some controversy about ethanol or methanol added to automotive fuels. The Nunavut Petroleum Products Division said in 2007 that the purchase specifications for gas purchased for the territory specifically excluded oxygenates... which means no ethanol or methanol in Nunavut auto fuels. They also said there was no plans to change that specification. If you're planning to use MOGAS and want to check on the specifications, call Nunavut Petroleum Products at 1-867-645-5165.

So there is a caveat, but it looks promising.

Vlad,

It looks like you are planning to transit 8B0 in August, you might just catch us there!

Let me know if you are planning to stop.

:) CJ

Postponed indefinitely

Communicated with a seasoned polar pilot. That's what he said;

Hi Vlad:

Unfortunately, it is really difficult to predict how the weather will be at various times of the year. Usually, early July is good, with lots of high pressure systems and clear skies. This year, we've been in heavy overcast and fog for much of the last couple of weeks. There was a group of small planes (C177, C182 etc.) in earlier this week from Toronto and Washington DC, and the pilots were saying they ended up flying IFR for much of their trip up (Sept Illes, QC/ Wabush, NF/ Kuujjuaq, QC/ Iqaluit).

You might want to look at the historical weather for Iqaluit here:

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/advanceSearch/searchHistoricData_e.html

It isn't aviation info, but can give you a bit of an idea of what that time of year looks like in recent years.

People have done the trip VFR here, but sometimes that can involve getting stuck somewhere along the way waiting for the weather to clear. And sometimes that can be days. Depends how much time you have (and money... as hotels in northern communities can be expensive). You also have to remember that alternate airports are a great distance apart, and you can easily find yourself in a situation where you're having a hard time getting in somewhere, and the nearest alt may also be below minimums.

Also, while all northern communities have auto gas, most don't have premium (we don't have premium here in Iqaluit). So you may be limited to avgas, which can be obtained in all of the places noted above, though in Kuujjuaq the price is around $700 CDN per drum (you have to buy the whole drum, and you have have to pump it yourself. They don't supply a pump in Kuujjuaq).

Hope this helps a bit.

Charts

To answer one of your questions...
We are an advertiser on this site and carry all the Canadian Charts (And U.S. also). PilotShop.ca (Calgary Pilot Supply). 403-296-0096
Cheers,
Mike

Canadian Northern flying

Hi Vlad

Your Polar Pilot gave you good advises...Flying in Northern Quebec and further north is not something to take lightly..

The Wx can change in an hour from Cavok to low IFR and stay like that far beyond your fuel supply..

The recommendation of carrying a couple jerrycan of fuel onboard eventough it may sound dangerous could be your only way out over there.

I used to fly DHC-6 Twin-Otter and HS-748 for an airline in Northern Quebec and was SAR in the Air force ( That area was part of our area of responsability ) and I've seen my share of adventurous and unprepared pilots and I had to rescue a few of them ( some weren't so lucky ) and I wouldn't like to see you having problems. It gets lonely really fast overthere.

If you decide to go, make sure that you carry a really good Arctic Survival Kit and lots of warm clothing (even in July ) and plan accordingly and you won't have any problems.

Make sure that you have a look at this if you ever go on that trip

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Quebec_crater

Have fun

Bruno

Last edited:
Back