What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Closing up floors have I missed anything?

huse0054

Well Known Member
Getting ready to close up my rear seat and baggage floors. I will have 2 conduit runs on each side of the plane. I also have 2 comm antennas under the rear seats located second bay from outboard.

So my questions,

-how are most routing the coax from the comm antennas, are they punching through the seat ribs---to the side of the plane then forward?

Being I won't have access to the comm antennas once the floors are on do I need to attach one end of the coax to the antennas now? Or should I cut access panels above those locations and attach the coax further down in the build? (Anyone with pictures of this)

Is there anything else I have missed that should be done before riveting on the floors?

I vote that you should install access panels in the baggage/seat floors. Those antennas will need maintenance at some point and the next owner won't be happy trying to guess how/where to cut holes to service them.

I installed antennas in the same location and took the coax forward and through the center of the shear web for the rear spar.

Antenna

I installed a doubler and nut plates for the under seat antennas. See no need for access panels at that point. I ran the coax forward through the underseat spar along with the conduits going to the tail cone.
Note: I used comant antennas, delta pop mount with studs which would require access panels.

Last edited:
Do something

Suggest you provide access under the floor panels via access plates or use nutplates and screws to secure floor panels. In the 2250 hours I flew my RV-8 I must have removed floor panels at least a dozen times for one reason or another. Reasons I remember include chasing leaks (air, fuel, water), installing new ADSB antenna, installing second VHF antenna, moving one of two batteries from rear to front, adding socks to aileron and elevator control tubes to seal air leaks, running wiring for new landing light, adding second attach point for aerobatic ratcheting seat belt, installing new aileron autopilot servo, running wire for rear facing landing light (for night airshows), running wire for formation lights (also for night airshows), running wire for APRS, running tubing for rear seat heat, etc.)
As you can see, there are usually upgrades and repairs that occur over the life of an airplane. If you don't provide easy access to all parts of the airframe you will likely put off upgrades and repairs or have a devil of a time accomplishing what should be a simple task.
While building my RV I cut the rear floor panel into three pieces to make it easier to remove one or two pieces for access rather than having to remove one huge floor piece. I also used hex head screws to make it easier to remove.

I See no need for access panels at that point. I ran the coax forward through the underseat spar along with the conduits going to the tail cone. Note: I used comant antennas, delta pop mount with studs which would require access panels.

Not including access panels will almost guaranty the need for some type of maintenance. On the other hand, cutting access panels after the fact is not that difficult.

I vote that you should install access panels in the baggage/seat floors. Those antennas will need maintenance at some point and the next owner won't be happy trying to guess how/where to cut holes to service them.

I installed antennas in the same location and took the coax forward and through the center of the shear web for the rear spar.

I did not have access hole for these. Just left an extra foot or two of cable. The cable comes out with the antenna from the belly and you can crimp on new ends or can easilly use the old to fish in a new cable later. Didn't see a need for an access panel, though I did put them in for access to the step socket.

EDIT: sorry didn't see the post about studs. I don't have them and used nut plates.

Larry

#2 wire

You might want to run your #2 wire now. If you run it through a conduit, it will take up most of one conduit! There are accommodations in the plans for the #2 cable. Contact Van's tech support for details. Ask for the old wiring plans for the RV-10.

You might want to run your #2 wire now. If you run it through a conduit, it will take up most of one conduit! There are accommodations in the plans for the #2 cable. Contact Van's tech support for details. Ask for the old wiring plans for the RV-10.

This is helpful and will do. Thanks

In building my RV-10, I installed access plates over the bolts for the step tubes. Hopefully won't need them, but seems like a better solution than the suggested plans to drill holes for access later should the steps start to loosen. Would also suggest if you haven't, installing a solid aluminum crush stop where the bolt goes through the step tube. Otherwise the tube is likely to oval and not tighten well.

I also installed access plates over the locations where I brought my A/C hoses up from the condenser in the belly scoop (I didn't want them in the tunnel, so brought them up just outside the tunnel).

Regards,

Back