What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust smell when powered back

kellyp

Happy New Year everyone! I have a strange occurance that you listers might know the cause of.

When I pull the power back for high speed descent I get exhaust smell in the cabin. It goes away if I add power. My exhaust pipes are cut horizontal and flush with the bottom surface of the cooling air exit (out of the slipstream). I'm guessing that under power the jet of exhaust clears the fuselage, but not when powered back.

This happens with the cabin heat and vents closed so I don't think those are the culprits. My canopy and firewall are sealed well. Anybody have this problem and a solution?

The next place for me to look is the flap rod holes in the fuse. Any ideas or photos on how anyone has sealed these up?

Reply off list if you want. Thanks for your help,

CO Monitor

Kelly,
I haven't had that problem, but it highlights how important it is to have a CO (Carbon Monoxide) monitor.

You cannot smell CO, but it will put you to sleep with out you knowing.

Good luck with the fume problem.

Pete.

kellyp said:
When I pull the power back for high speed descent I get exhaust smell in the cabin ....... Anybody have this problem and a solution?

Yep, same thing with mine. It's only if I really pull the power back quickly while descending. In normal operation I never pull the power that quickly so it's not an issue. Knowing the amount of leaking air into the cabin I suspect it would be hard to seal every last location. I have aileron pushrod seals, canopy seals (as good as I can get it) etc... While you can smell exhaust I have never had the CO alarm go off in flight so that's good I guess... (hopefully it's working!) :)

I should also mention that I have the aileron pushrod seals at the cabin to wing interface. Good to hear it is not enough to register on the CO monitor. If I find a solution I will post it here.

Rich Mixture

akarmy said:
Yep, same thing with mine. It's only if I really pull the power back quickly while descending. In normal operation I never pull the power that quickly so it's not an issue. Knowing the amount of leaking air into the cabin I suspect it would be hard to seal every last location. I have aileron pushrod seals, canopy seals (as good as I can get it) etc... While you can smell exhaust I have never had the CO alarm go off in flight so that's good I guess... (hopefully it's working!) :)

Are you sure it's exhaust and not fuel fumes? I get a good whiff of fuel when I do a steep descent in the pattern with the mixture at full-rich. I suspect some of that carb air is somehow getting to the cabin.

Of course, if I'm going to be doing a lot of pattern work I try to keep it leaned out. That tends to elminate the smell.

-Martin
402BD

MartinPred said:
Are you sure it's exhaust and not fuel fumes? I get a good whiff of fuel when I do a steep descent in the pattern with the mixture at full-rich. I suspect some of that carb air is somehow getting to the cabin.

Of course, if I'm going to be doing a lot of pattern work I try to keep it leaned out. That tends to elminate the smell.

-Martin
402BD

It's exhaust, not fuel. I've had others on board that would smell it also and they agree...it's exhaust. I also stayed leaned out in the pattern, full rich only when climbing in hot weather.

I recently reworked my exhaust system, tightening things up, etc.. When I first flew it after this work, I noticed exhaust smell in the cockpit during slower (pattern) flight. I re-rigged the tail pipes a bit lower, and the smell went away. The two positions were only about an inch and a half different vertically. The new position keeps the entire open end of the pipe below the cooling air exit, and maybe 6 to 8 inches aft. The position that was stinky put the open end of the pipe mostly above the lower exit air area.

Ironflight' post 'Fuel Smell "Funny" .'

There is connection between this thread and Paul's thread, "Fuel Smell "Funny" . http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=13746&highlight=fuel+smell

The exhaust smell and the fuel smell have both occurred when throttle back and entering the circuit.

It has also prompted me to remember that I once had a warning from my CO monitor and it too occurred on downwind leg.

This all seems to confirm that there is a change in airlfow into the cockpit when reducing power and speed to enter the circuit.

Pete.

Re-starting this thread.

I have always had exhaust smell when powering back in my RV-7.
Vetterman exhaust, aileron pushrod seals.
Lasts less than a minute when slowing down going into the pattern.
Stops by time I slow to about 100 mph; nothing more all the way to landing.
It has has always bugged me and would like to solve.

My theory is the change in attitude when slowing down and airflow across the belly. Increase of attitude 'flattens out' the exhaust along the belly and leaks into either 1) the flap pushrod hole (flaps not opened yet) or 2) the skin gap at the tailwheel gear exit location. Totally my conjuring.

Additional theories are fine, but looking for solutions.
Has anyone had this symptom and applied a solution that worked ???
Thanks.

RV-6, same thing ever since built 20 years ago. Also another -6 I flew before that. Not always, just depends on how much of a throttle back, speed, etc. I've always assumed it was coming around into the air vent at slower speeds. Or maybe the flap actuator hole. CO detector has never activated.

Another data point ... My 7 will make some exhaust smell when leaning way past LOP in slower flight (110 -120kias) or when at high AOA doing slow flight (near to stall). This is all with flaps up.

I was assuming this was due to disturbed flow from the exhaust somehow creeping up behind the trailing edge in turbulent flow reversal and getting into the flap seal area, canopy seal or maybe into the NACA vents aft of the cowl joint ... ?

No flap seals on the plane, just good contact with the flap when they are up. Never notice the smell any other time.

This all makes sense except for smelling exhaust way LOP ...

"Doctor, my arm hurts when I do this. Doctor says, don't do "that".

My solution is not to fly in those regimes.

Cheers

Empennage leakage

I suspect the fumes are being sucked in through the empennage openings. I have seen evidence of light exhaust oil coating the inside of the empennage where the rudder cables enter. You wouldn't normally think it would come all the way up through the tunnel, however airflows are very funning things. That's my suspicion.

Alan

I installed foam wedges in the "ribs" of the upper and lower baggage bulkhead to limit air leaks etc. from the aft fuselage. There are a lot of openings back there that might be letting in fumes. Anyone else doing something similar?

Back