What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USB Power Ports - Need Recommendation

txshan130

Well Known Member
Hey All...

I just searched the forum for anything on USB power ports...just found 1 thread from many years back with some outdated info in it. Looking to update my old USB power port and wondering what everyone has found that works well. I'm not looking to spend $300 for a TSO'd version! Obviously there are numerous one's on Amazon for $15 but wondering if anyone has good luck or any issues with certain models?

Thanks in advance!

I bought one from Steinair.com, supposed to be okay, but it's not USB-C so I might need an adapter. Haven't flown it yet.

Dave

I did extensive research on this.

You won't be happy with the $15 parts, they barely charge and generally only 1 device at a time.

Here's the best bang for the buck:

https://www.steinair.com/product/dual-usb-panel-jack

Not sure if they have a USB-C version yet but we just keep USB-A to USB-C cables in the plane.

I have one of those MCI TRUE BLUE TSO'd parts for my current project ... it's REALLY nice but pricey ... decided to paint myself so a few extra $$ in the budget :p

Last edited:
OK...Thx for the quick replies!

Interesting though, the Amazon reviews on the Blue Sea USB chargers are not exactly stellar. The "internal filtering" sounds promising but it seems that many people have had charging issues with them.

Anyone have actual first-hand experience with the Blue Sea charger?

First full disclosure as with all cheap Amazon stuff, YMMV and what you get might not be what I got back in 2017 even with the link.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6S2SNM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It doesn't add noise when charging by itself. However, when the audio cord is connected to my tablet while charging there is a slight noise, you can only really hear it if there isn't music playing; with music playing I don't notice unless I really listen for it. This also happened with the old lighter style power port and Samsung charger so I'm thinking it's a tablet issue more than the power source. My solution is to just unplug the audio cord unless I'm listening to music. Other thing is the blue light is always on, which might bother some at night. Anyway, for $10 I'm happy with it.

Blue Sea is what we have on the 12iS and I have charged my Ipad and phone together inflight without any problems.

The electronics I plug in to the plane are all modern devices (iPhone and iPad Pros) that can use Power Delivery 3.0 protocols for much faster charging and is what I've been using for over a year. They have a port for plain old USB as well as USB-C. The USB-C port uses PD3.0 and will support all of the fast-charging protocols for modern phones and tablets.. Bought it off Amazon and they didn't charge the aviation tax :).

Attachments

• 51VnJk6jKkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    51VnJk6jKkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I got the square switch mount version of the Blue Sea systems USB charger, but didn't like how it stuck out on my panel. I ended up making a rectangle donut that the charger snaps into that I mount on the back of the panel with a spacer which positions the face of the charger in a hole in the panel cut to exact dimensions.

Molex

I bought some of these off Digi-Key. There are different versions, and I've got ones with the USB-C & USB-A port in them. They look nice, especially with the subtle blue backlighting around each port.

They do need a special plug & pins to go into the connector on the back though, which is a bridge too far for some, however they crimp and insert easily enough.

https://www.digikey.com.au/en/produ...nnector/68532-series-usb-smart-charge-modules

I installed 4 of these in my RV-10, 2 in the panel and 1 each on the sides next to the rear seats. They each have 2 USB ports that will deliver 2.4 amps per port. They have worked great with no noise induced. https://www.steinair.com/product/usb-dual-power-charger/

I would have preferred a USB-C charger as that seems to be the direction things are moving, but I couldn't find one proven in aviation service that didn't cost an arm & leg. I expect that using a USB-A to USB-C cable will work for me for at least a few more years.

I recommend care in selecting a charger port. I once took a USB battery pack on a cross country in my previous plane tp extemd battery life of my iPad. As soon as I plugged in the iPad, the battery pack generated so much RFI that my SL-40 com radio became unusable!

Cheers,

Garmin USB

This Garmin USB from Steinair is the unit I installed in my -7. I balked at the price at first but realized that is was a tiny fraction of the total cost of my panel install.

Side note: Not very long ago I worked for BP at Prudhoe Bay. One night my company truck burned to the ground from a fire started from a aftermarket USB charger. Nothing was plugged into the charger and the truck was turned off. That memory erased my qualms about the cost of the Garmin USB unit.

Last edited:
So I ordered a Blue Sea port...but wow, the Molex one looks very nice :) I actually like the Molex design better as it has a better footprint for my panel and has USB-A and USB-C (and has cool backlighting). Maybe I will just get them both and replace my Commitlift charger too - which can't seem to handle my Ipad.

Thx again for all the replies....Hopefully this thread will help a few others in the future.

One thing I learn is that unless the airplane system is 24v and you buy a TSO ones you only get to charge at 1amp. Very expensive units for 1amp only.
I have a stratus dual port charger and it won’t charge more than my iPhone very slow. My iPad iPad won’t loose charge but won’t go up either !

One thing I learn is that unless the airplane system is 24v and you buy a TSO ones you only get to charge at 1amp. Very expensive units for 1amp only.
I have a stratus dual port charger and it won’t charge more than my iPhone very slow. My iPad iPad won’t loose charge but won’t go up either !

Curious, which make/model are you referring to?

I installed these on my 10 and can report zero noise issues. Quality is much better than the cheap imported stuff and seem to deliver the full 2+ amps. ...

Larry

Blue Sea works well, I have two installed, and they don't make any noise with iphone, ipad, action camera, and Sentry Mini connected. I'll probably end up installing a few more.

http://www.rv8.ch/blue-sea-usb/

You can get them from various sources, including Stein.

I've just bought one of the Molex outlets Molex Looks great until I start thinking about how to connect it. The power connector is a Molex Mini 50 4-way - that's OK, about $5, and the sockets are inexpensive. But the crimping tools!!! $800 for the Molex crimper!!! I've ended up with a multi-purpose plier type crimper for $70, (Molex 63811) which is more than I really wanted to spend... When it arrives we'll see how well it works on these sockets. How have others wired up the connectors?
Pete

I went the easy route. I had a dual USB adapter in my car and moved it to the airplane. It worked like a champ, so I bought another for the airplane.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0795DJXNH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I did this because right now both devices are happy charging with USB in the plane today As more devices are coming out with USB C, it is a simple swap of the plug. I work in tech, so I am upgrading as a part of my job pretty regularly. The ipad 6 with run on USB to USB-C, but will not go into charge mode in my experience. I have actually seen it shift to battery mode during high workloads.

I am very aware of the noise that some devices can cause, but both adapters that I have used have internal noise suppression.

Back