What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gust Locks -- Redux

bjdecker

Well Known Member
Ambassador
I was describing my solution to this problem to my friends at lunch last week, and they just couldn't grasp how you could use a beer can koozie as a rudder/elevator/aileron gust lock. So I had to show them...and show off the new paint too :)

Attachments

• IMG_2717.jpg
    IMG_2717.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_2718.jpg
    IMG_2718.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 498
Koozy

Brilliant! It might take drinking quite a few beers to get adequate immobilization of the control surfaces......

John

I must be missing something......... It appears to me that you are depending on friction to hold the rudder. If a strong enough gust came along, wouldn't the rudder swing and release the "Koozie", which would then immediately depart smartly downwind?

I must be missing something......... It appears to me that you are depending on friction to hold the rudder. If a strong enough gust came along, wouldn't the rudder swing and release the "Koozie", which would then immediately depart smartly downwind?

It does rely on the interference fit/friction applied between the counterbalance arm and tip fairing. Granted, I haven't parked in gale force winds at angles approaching 90° to the wind; but for the average kite weather, winds 15G30, it works quite well.

Wow! That's the quickest response I've ever gotten on any forum! :)

I guess my response would be: "It will work well, ...... until it doesn't.:rolleyes:

I would prefer something a bit more robust, myself. Probably just fine for an hour or two stop when you know the weather is fine.

But an unexpected TS can wreak havoc. YMMV, as always.

I like it, although I think I would prefer just using some scrap neoprene. A free beer cozy is just too tempting to those admiring that paint job!

Back