What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rv6a vent line leak

jask

Well Known Member
I have a vent line leaking inside the right fuel tank probably from a loose connection where the fuel line passes from the tank. I have removed the fairing and it looks like i will have room to remove the round cover plate and use a wrench to probably tighten the fitting. Another owner/mechanic has suggested that it might be just as easy to remove the tank to do the repair. The fuel line attached to the cover plate goes directly into the fuselage to the fuel valve. It is covered by a removable plate on the floor so I cannot see the connections. When I loosen the fuel supply line from the cover plate, should I also remove it from the fuel valve to get it out of the way or do people just bend the line at the cover plate. I took some photos of the cover plate and it has a rusty brown look of something on the cork gasket. Is that probably a sealer? The question is whether I remove the tank or try to do the repair through the fairing gap?

My vote is to do that repair off the plane. Much less frustrating, can actually see & determine why the vent is leaking, obvious better access during repair.
Reasoning behind my vote- I’ve done this lovely job 3 times 3 different planes. Found in 2 cases bulkhead fitting installed wrong way, tank leaks were evident because it was impossible to tighten outside line flare nut without twisting the bulkhead fitting. Vent leak causes were cross threaded nut in one case, incomplete (wasn’t) flare under tightened nut on second plane, the classic Un-tightened nut on the third plane. Nearly all these conditions would have been impossible to determine or fix without the tank sitting on the workbench.
Re- loosening off fuel line for work clearance, do what you have to, either way doesn’t add much in time & effort. After removing the access cover, I’d clean the old gasket away and use tank sealant in place when reassembling.

Last edited:
Recommend on the 6 remove the tank. The main fuel line should not be an issue, just push it inward a little bit.

Back