What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EIS/EFIS voltage loss with GRT

Jonathan Alvord

Well Known Member
On my RV7a I have experienced from time to time blackout of the EFIS while transmitting on one of my radios( the good one, the bad one does not cause the blackout/restart). My EIS shows 13.5v, but the EFIS is only showing 10-11v. I have replaced the Diode and it continued to happen. I replaced the alternator last year and really don't think it is the issue here. Very annoying when talking to the Control tower and the GRT keep restarting. Any Idea's I know it has been discussed multiple times. I'm about ready to take to an avionic shop to figure out.

Jon

You have a bad connection somewhere. Get out your trusty multimeter and with the power on to the EFIS, check the voltage at each connection point, starting at the bus and working forward to the EFIS unit until you find where the significant drop is.

Erich

Jonathan - you are no doubt feeling frustrated. This is one of those situations where sitting back and taking a deep breath helps. This is likely a simple troubleshooting issue.

Start at the circuit breaker that powers the EFIS. Connect the black lead of the voltmeter to a solid ground and clip it there. Using the red probe, place it on the bus bar that feeds the hot side of the circuit breakers - measure the voltage. Now do the same on the hot side of the CB (not the screw but on the CB itself) and again on the switched side of the CB. Now do the same thing as you key the bad VHF comm.

I'm thinking your EFIS CB has a screw loose or has become somewhat resistive. Keying the VHF is causing the bus voltage to drop. There's more than a small chance this kind of "loose connection" exists elsewhere, like where the circuit breaker bus bar is getting its power from the aircraft battery.

Just to provide an example of how this works, I recently discovered a CB that was introducing more than a 1 volt drop. The CB hadn't failed, it wasn't popping or interrupting current flow, it was just getting warm because its internal resistance had gone up, thus causing it to drop voltage.

I wish you luck in your investigation. Post back here with findings so we can help get you to the source of the problem.

After further diving into this issues I hope that we have found the problem. We checked the avionics switch and found some issues, low resistance/loose connections. anyhow replace ($5) and we are now reading 13.5 for both EIS/EFIS. Fingers Crossed.

Jon

Back