What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleaveland main squeezer usage/report

Bavafa

Well Known Member
Just wondering if there is a trick in using the main squeezer, I bought one and still getting used to it but not very impressed so far. My main issue is that I feel a rather strong springy action in the lever. Best I can describe it, if the squeezer is held with the handles at 12:00 and wide open action would be at 3:00, you will start feeling the pressure building up between 2:00 to 1:00 and then eases off as the handle is coming together at 12:00. But as soon as I want to open it, the handle wants to jump (spring action) to open position which kicks the other handle to opposite side (let?s say 11:00) and this can cause my piece that is still between the yoke to bend if I am not careful.

Not sure if this was a good way of explaining it but I wonder if mine is defective or all work like that?

I love mine.

You may have your dies too close together what do you rivets look like? My guess is just some Simple adjustments or call Cleveland and have them help you out they’re a great company and the tool is well worth it

I love mine too!

There is always going to be a little spring back after you squeeze a rivet, because the rivet resists deforming into the shop head that you are performing. My technique is to hold the non-moving handle firmly against the part, with the rivet's manufactured head facing the handles, then rotate the movable handle up to meet the non-moving handle, then (while still holding pressure on the non-moving handle) release the moving handle until the pressure is released. Another tip is to have the part you are riveting secured to something (like a workbench) so it won't move around on you while you are riveting. I have a bunch of clamps that I use to hold small pieces to my bench for riveting. Keep practicing on scrap until you have the technique down. Once you get the hang of the Main Squeeze, you'll be able to tell by feel if a rivet has been squeezed enough or not.

when I first started my project, I did not know that the moving die shaft is adjustable by screwing it in or out :rolleyes:

I wonder if mine is defective or all work like that?

Mine feels pretty similar to what you're describing, so I don't think yours is defective. Work with it a bit longer and you'll get used to it. If you've ever tried to set 1/8-inch rivets with any other squeezer, you'll quickly realize how great the Main Squeeze is, and the characteristic you're describing is a pretty minor inconvenience.

Rob?s tip is a good one to keep the work clamped if possible, especially in the beginning when you're first getting used to using the Main Squeeze.

I don't love mine. I tend to use it only when I don't seem to have anything else that will work. It's a usable tool but I prefer other options.

Thank you every one for the tip and experience. I am on my second RV, so I have used squeezers before and some what familiar with the technic. I use the same technic as Rob when is possible and have learned to use my chin to control the non-moving handle during the release but it is not convenient or always possible. This issue is more acute when dealing with softer parts like the flange of a rib.
I am not very impressed and have gone back to my older squeezer on those fragile parts.

Thank you for your feedback.

Thank you every one for the tip and experience. I am on my second RV, so I have used squeezers before and some what familiar with the technic. I use the same technic as Rob when is possible and have learned to use my chin to control the non-moving handle during the release but it is not convenient or always possible. This issue is more acute when dealing with softer parts like the flange of a rib.
I am not very impressed and have gone back to my older squeezer on those fragile parts.

Thank you for your feedback.

When I started my build, I considered a main squeeze. I recognized the physics tradeoff of more handle travel needed to get less hand grip squeezing force. It is an individual choice or preference concerning the use of a hand squeezer so I understand the popularity. I chose to not go that way. I valued the ability to 'one hand' a small rivet more than the ease of squeezing a large rivet with two.

When I first started acquiring tool to build my RV-10, I opted for the cheaper Main Squeeze. After a couple first rivets, I set it down and ordered a nice pneumatic squeezer. I must say, it was the best decision I ever made in regards to an expensive tool purchase.

Glad to see I am not the only one! I built my plane with a couple of cheapie standard hand squeezer and a pneumatic one. I have since acquired the Main Squeeze and have not liked it a bit! When I loan it to friends,
they all think it is wonderful! Next time someone says that, I am going to offer to sell it to them. The springy action instead of the solid feel bums me out, besides my plane is done and I am not intending to build another one..

I don't love mine. I tend to use it only when I don't seem to have anything else that will work. It's a usable tool but I prefer other options.

main squeeze

EH... ITS JUST A TOOL NOT A LOVE AFFAIR. SEE ITS ADJUSTABILITY AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT AS WITH ALL THE TOOLS/TOYS WE CHOOSE TO POSSES. SINCE I HAVE ONE I WILL KEEP IT. IM THINKING OF A WAY TI HOOK IT UP TO A POWER DRILL AND ALLTHREAD... CRAZY TALK

Back