What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Kit transportation HELP!!

Neal Trombley

Well Known Member
I have found a deal on a wing kit in boxes per say... they were inventoried and put back as best as could be..

the question is getting these home with a local pick up then back 1400 miles
two crates measure 15ft inches a one 6ft..

I looked at renting a Uhaul and its $1900 for a 15ft box truck one way..

any ideas or has any VAFS transported these safely another way?

one option was fly up, do inventory and ship back freight line..

Appreciate the help

Des Moines is the location I am in Ft Myers

I have found a deal on a wing kit in boxes per say... they were inventoried and put back as best as could be..

the question is getting these home with a local pick up then back 1400 miles
two crates measure 15ft inches a one 6ft..

I looked at renting a Uhaul and its $1900 for a 15ft box truck one way..

any ideas or has any VAFS transported these safely another way?

one option was fly up, do inventory and ship back freight line..

Appreciate the help

Des Moines is the location I am in Ft Myers

Rent a pickup with a roof rack?

Dave

I've done similar using a borrowed dual axle open trailer - towed behind a suburban.

Strap it in and then the loose pieces go up front with you.

I would use a light weight trailer and just strap the boxes down. You could even buy a set of trailer lights and attach them to a 2x4 and then attach the 2x4 to the back of the crate if your worried about to much overhang off the back of the trailer. Any car or truck with a hitch would work, and a light weight trailer would keep your wings from getting to beat up. You might have to put some weight forward on the trailer to keep a proper hitch weight so the trailer doesn't wobble back and forth.
Mike

An 8' bed and a 2' tailgate leaves 5' out the rear with a red flag attached to it?? Have seen it done and it looks ok. Personally I would rather drive a full size long bed pick up than pull a trailer??? IMHO, if they are not packed extremely well, they might get beat up on heavily sprung trailer. Good luck with your adventure. :)

An 8' bed and a 2' tailgate leaves 5' out the rear with a red flag attached to it?? Have seen it done and it looks ok. Personally I would rather drive a full size long bed pick up than pull a trailer??? IMHO, if they are not packed extremely well, they might get beat up on heavily sprung trailer. Good luck with your adventure. :)

This is how I am leaning, just finding a one way truck rental is tough..

Flight to either Kansas City $140 one way

so far truck rental Uhaul etc is $1200 cheapest 16ft box truck

freight line is $1000 bucks using Vans published crate sizes and weights.
but they wont pick up residential so ??? $200 more to get to terminal

if Can find a rental 1500 series truck I will make that work

I had the same problem once, here is how I solved it:
2gvptdx.jpg
[/IMG]

RV-8 wing kit. South Carolina to Venice, FL. No problem. Longerons in the PVC tubes. Spars were bubble wrapped and Gorrilla taped to the 2x4 uprights, which were screwed to the crate. Built most of it on-site with a skillsaw, deck screws, and a driver/drill. Pre-built the crate based on Van's dimensions.
2pyyrzl.jpg

The long box goes on top, the shorter one in the truck's bed. No trailer needed.

But if you want a trailer, it's summer - maybe you can borrow a boat trailer from someone whose boat is in the water for the summer. I'd much prefer to do it the way I suggested, though, if it were me.

Dave

trucking

Neal if you own a pickup buy a cargo rack or take some 2x4 and plywood for gussets and build one or if you have a car put some roof racks on it and tie it with cargo straps to the front and rear bumpers and to the racks and it will still be there when you get home.
Bob

I have a Yukon XL but was trying to avoid driving there and back , was looking to fly in rent a truck, rig something head back

crazy how I can't rent a pickup truck without spending $1000 bucks

See if you can borrow a glider trailer for a few days.

An open 1-26 trailer would probably be ideal.

Rack

Neal fly in to get the wings rent a mid size car one way go get some roof racks run some cargo straps to bumpers and run some thur back windows around the plywood box and drive home take racks of and give car back.Call it a day.
Bob

I did the opposite trip. Bought a wing kit in Fl and needed it in Houston. I used Partain. Don't know if they are still around but that was who vans would use to ship quick builds. Don't remember what I paid but it was less than $1k

Back