What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Basic Med

Update!

Well I heard back from my PCM at the Military Health Clinic we go to and the answer was a big fat no--they have no plans to participate in BasicMed. :( If any of you military retirees out there get a different answer from your PCM, I'd like to hear about it.

So I followed up with my MTF (clinic) to find out why they were declining to participate (DoD policy etc). I pointed out the type of physical I would be requesting under BasicMed they were already performing (like sports physicals). I used the following verbiage out of the AOPA Pilots & Physicians Guide "the examination itself is just like a wellness exam, similar to those conducted for high school athletics, scuba diving certification, or for a U.S. Department of Transportation commercial driver?s license. Conducting this examination is similar to determining if an individual can safely operate a car, truck, motorcycle, boat or other motor vehicle" and I posted the 4 steps they would use to actually perform the exam -- in my original e-mail I had only posted the links, not any specific info.

So long story short, this time the Clinic Director reviewed my request and reversed their original position and they will now perform the exam!!! :D Now my current Class III is only 8 months old so I won't be testing this anytime soon, but I'm hopeful other retirees will benefit.

So I followed up with my MTF (clinic) to find out why they were declining to participate (DoD policy etc). I pointed out the type of physical I would be requesting under BasicMed they were already performing (like sports physicals). I used the following verbiage out of the AOPA Pilots & Physicians Guide "the examination itself is just like a wellness exam, similar to those conducted for high school athletics, scuba diving certification, or for a U.S. Department of Transportation commercial driver?s license. Conducting this examination is similar to determining if an individual can safely operate a car, truck, motorcycle, boat or other motor vehicle" and I posted the 4 steps they would use to actually perform the exam -- in my original e-mail I had only posted the links, not any specific info.

So long story short, this time the Clinic Director reviewed my request and reversed their original position and they will now perform the exam!!! :D Now my current Class III is only 8 months old so I won't be testing this anytime soon, but I'm hopeful other retirees will benefit.

I went here:

http://aopa.org/advocacy/pilots/medical/fit-to-fly-physician-guide

and the first thing I thought was "Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ...could they make this longer and more of a pain for the physician to parse out?"

It would have been FINE if they had stopped after the first four paragraphs, the one about "How do I perform a BasicMed exam?"

Then they launch into details about the *pilot's responsibility* and all the myriad things that disqualify applicants, and on and on and on.

If I were a PCP, I'd probably look at this, spend 30 seconds scanning it and then saying "I'll have to get back to you"...and probably decide not to do them (doctors have enough to do without having to study up on all the FARs related to issuing these things).

Again, I remain skeptical...no doubt some docs will sign 'em, plenty of them won't, a lot of people will just decide to continue with Class IIIs, and perhaps docs issuing DOT licenses will add this to their menu (which would be good, I guess).

But "big improvement" over a Class III it ain't. And it SURE is no "driver's license medical".

I went here:

and the first thing I thought was "Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ...could they make this longer and more of a pain for the physician to parse out?"

It would have been FINE if they had stopped after the first four paragraphs, the one about "How do I perform a BasicMed exam?"

Then they launch into details about the *pilot's responsibility* and all the myriad things that disqualify applicants, and on and on and on.

If I were a PCP, I'd probably look at this, spend 30 seconds scanning it and then saying "I'll have to get back to you"...and probably decide not to do them (doctors have enough to do without having to study up on all the FARs related to issuing these things).

Again, I remain skeptical...no doubt some docs will sign 'em, plenty of them won't, a lot of people will just decide to continue with Class IIIs, and perhaps docs issuing DOT licenses will add this to their menu (which would be good, I guess).

But "big improvement" over a Class III it ain't. And it SURE is no "driver's license medical".

While I agree that it is longer than it needs to be, it doesn't seem bad to me. I like that they stress operating a motor vehicle and not specifically an plane, as Dr's can understand that. Further, it indicates that the pilot, and not the Dr., needs to understand the rules and whether the pilot is "fit to fly." It also stresses that this is just a basic physical exam, similar to the DOT exams. Yes, they go into the exclusions for Basic Med, but these won't impact most of us. I think that level of detail helps the Dr. to understand the program without making it confusing. I would speculate the Dr's want to know the exclusions. That is how they stay out of trouble on these things.

I think this is a step in the right direction to help Dr's understand the level of risk associated with doing these exams as well as what is and isn't expected of them. Maybe someone with a Medical background will give us their read.

Drivers license medicals were DOA and we were never going to get them. I think this is close enough to a DOT/CDL exam that we should have many options. I have already found a Dr who does DOT exams for a living and they seemed happy to do this for $90.

I remain optimistic that this will work out for us even though it may not be done by our family Dr's.

On the subject of "big improvement," that is relative. Clearly you have not waited for months for FAA to approve your submission eventhough the AME signed you off or asked for stupid tests then take three months to review them. I agree that for those with no issues this really isn't an improvement. The win is for us poor sap's that are in generally good health but have something on the FAA's long list.

Larry

Last edited:
Update #2
Dr office informed me they would do the examination, but I would need to get a separate eye test from an outside source as they are not set up to comply with the vision requirements.

Item# 20. Vision: (distant, near, & intermediate, field of vision, color vision & ocular alignment)

I plan on calling the FAA or FSDO tomorrow to seek out clarification.
Since nothing is defined & is vague, these should be able to be done inside the Dr office, even if they don't have an actual eye chart.
But, the Dr could still refuse to do it.

Maybe I'll need to seek out a new PCP.

Update # 3
I talked to the FSDO, they didn't have a clue. I explained it to him & sent them to the faa.gov web site. We had a good laugh on the Anus issue. :rolleyes:

My PCP has not called back.

I talked to my last AME & had to explain the process to them as well.
They will do the III class med for $100.
They would do the BasicMed for $125, even though it was a much easier process.

I'm not getting a warm & fuzzy feeling about all this.

Update # 3
I talked to the FSDO, they didn't have a clue. I explained it to him & sent them to the faa.gov web site. We had a good laugh on the Anus issue. :rolleyes:

What some of that has to do with flying an airplane, I haven't the foggiest. At least it's clear now that a digital examination is no longer required (nor are pelvic exams required for women)!

They will do the III class med for $100.
They would do the BasicMed for $125, even though it was a much easier process.

I'm not getting a warm & fuzzy feeling about all this.
I think they may be charging more simply because they won't see you as often (assuming you're over 40)...

I went here:

I'm a physician - I read this and thought exactly the opposite - it's clearly written, absolutely sensible, and not hard at all to understand. I does require a little bit of time to think about when the patient is in front of you, but speaking the language makes it a lot easier to scan, comprehend, and absorb a document like this.

On the subject of "big improvement," that is relative. Clearly you have not waited for months for FAA to approve your submission eventhough the AME signed you off or asked for stupid tests then take three months to review them. I agree that for those with no issues this really isn't an improvement. The win is for us poor sap's that are in generally good health but have something on the FAA's long list.

WHAT HE SAID!!!

I had a torn and minimally detached retina last year. The macula was not affected, and I had no vision problems other than a flew floaters. I went in for a routine exam and the doc said that I had "been walking around with the tear for some time."

I had it repaired and have since had SEVEN follow-up exams (I am conservative by nature) and every one found no problem whatsoever.

If I went for a Class 3 medical I would HAVE to complete an 8500-7, and the AME would HAVE to submit it to the FAA. It is taking the FAA at least six weeks to even review the document, and there is always the chance that they could deny it.

Even if they didn't deny it I would still require an 8500-7 at least every year for the next four years. If they did deny it I would be screwed with the BasicMed.

The AME I was working with told me that I should wait for BasicMed as I would not have to submit anything to the FAA and run the risk of delay or denial.

BTW, I DID get my Opthomologist to complete an 8500-7 for me to present to the BasicMed doc in case there were any questions.

Bottom line is that, as was stated, if one has no physical issues the BasicMed is of little value. But for someone that MIGHT have to deal with OKC, it can be a blessing.

I'm a physician - I read this and thought exactly the opposite - it's clearly written, absolutely sensible, and not hard at all to understand. I does require a little bit of time to think about when the patient is in front of you, but speaking the language makes it a lot easier to scan, comprehend, and absorb a document like this.

OK, I'll buy that. I just have difficulty seeing my PCP, in a busy HMO, taking the time during the exam to do all that, but I hope she will. We'll know in a week, anyway (my Class III doesn't expire until December anyway, so I have plenty of time to go doctor-shopping if I need to).

I hope I'm totally wrong on this (I have been before :)) and it's such a routine thing that few people have end up having any trouble getting their PCP to sign the paperwork. Time will tell.

OK, I'll buy that. I just have difficulty seeing my PCP, in a busy HMO, taking the time during the exam to do all that, but I hope she will. We'll know in a week, anyway (my Class III doesn't expire until December anyway, so I have plenty of time to go doctor-shopping if I need to).

I hope I'm totally wrong on this (I have been before :)) and it's such a routine thing that few people have end up having any trouble getting their PCP to sign the paperwork. Time will tell.

I do think there will be issues getting your PCP to sign these. I am sure it will be hit or miss and maybe stabilize to the positive or negative as this becomes a bit more mainstream. However, there is a whole cottage industry out there doing DOT/CDL exams and Basic Med should fit right into their business nicely. Seems the going rate is around $100. That's good for 4 years and eliminates all of the FAA BS and risks.

For all you guys that are complaining out the wazoo; You do know that the Class III medical is still available, don't you?

I don't know that going from initial goals (per the alphabet groups) of a driver's license medical to finally ending up with a Class III with less paperwork and delay is complaining "out the wazoo" :).

I get that it's a benefit to those with some medical issues in that they don't have to wait for the FAA doc to approve them anymore (although this begs the question about what might cause your PCP to not sign off for some medical reason).

But it's **** and gone from the "driver's license medical" that we started out asking for.

Reading people whine "But I want a driver's license medical" is more entertaining than HBO.

Well, we're happy that you're amused by 5+ years of a federal government agency ignoring the taxpayers/customers, stonewalling petitions, even slow-walking NPRMs for what, a year or more?, and basically being forced into the bare minimum change, rather than responding to the public and implementing reasonable, cost-saving reform measures.

Well, we're happy that you're amused by 5+ years of a federal government agency ignoring the taxpayers/customers, stonewalling petitions, even slow-walking NPRMs for what, a year or more?, and basically being forced into the bare minimum change, rather than responding to the public and implementing reasonable, cost-saving reform measures.

There is plenty of blame to go around, and the FAA, on its own, wasn't going to change anything - but the final form and details of BasicMed was written by the congress, so if what you wanted was a Driver's License Medical (and I would have liked that too), you should widen the "blame" beyond the Agency.

And if I'm not mistaken, that original "driver's license" proposal was asking for 4 seats, 180 hp max, and daytime VFR.
I don't hear complaints about 6 seats, 6,000 lbs. gross weight, and day/night VFR/IFR.

Sorry I interrupted. I'll butt-out now.

Probably didn't hear any complaints about 6 seats, because Van's doesn't offer 6 seats yet.:rolleyes:

And if I'm not mistaken, that original "driver's license" proposal was asking for 4 seats, 180 hp max, and daytime VFR.
I don't hear complaints about 6 seats, 6,000 lbs. gross weight, and day/night VFR/IFR.

Sorry I interrupted. I'll butt-out now.
Yup, but that won't stop people from whining about it.

:cool:

Listing towns and Doctors where it works??

How about this guys. Those of you who have had no problems with your Doctor doing this---would you kindly list the city or town where you live and the Doctor's name? I've been looking at the avatars of those who haven't had a problem, but I haven't seen Atlanta yet. And then of course, there are no actual names listed,

Thanks guys & gals.

There is plenty of blame to go around, and the FAA, on its own, wasn't going to change anything - but the final form and details of BasicMed was written by the congress, so if what you wanted was a Driver's License Medical (and I would have liked that too), you should widen the "blame" beyond the Agency.

Just FTM. :)

Well, I'll state again that I am happy. It is MUCH better than before, as Oklahoma is no longer there to take away pilots rights to fly, which they did daily with smiles on their faces. What we got is a compromise. If you want to blame anybody, I suggest pointing your fingers at the strong lobby organizations such as ALPA, that aggressively fought this and created the watered down version you now have. They were fighting much harder than the FAA. The FAA just refused to change, because that is there DNA. Federal agencies just don't embrace change. Major change often requires pressure or new laws from Congress.

I'll add that this was done by pilots helping pilots. This would have gone nowhere without champions, like inhofe, to take up the cause. No one else could care less about us. There is just too much big money from other places to grab the attention of Congress.

Larry

Last edited:
Well, I'll state again that I am happy. It is MUCH better than before, as Oklahoma is no longer there to take away pilots rights to fly, which they did daily with smiles on their faces.

Unless you're one of those pitiable souls who wants to start flying, in which case you have to go try and get a third-class medical first and roll the dice of risking a permanent denial.

Don't get me wrong, this proposal is certainly better for those of us that already have had a medical and not had it denied (though it could be better... "anus" and "genito-urinary tract", really? :rolleyes: ). But I know several people flying gliders and ultralights and LSA's who'd like to finish their powered license... and can't because even though they'd be able to pass Basicmed, there's too big a chance that they'd be denied a third-class.

There are all of the other little contradictions and nonsensical items in there too, but it's the inability to go straight to this process without a "regular" third class medical first that's the big gaping hole.

Off to a good start

From AOPA:

"As of April 26, 529 pilots had complied with all the required steps and received BasicMed completion certificates."

This occurred in BasicMed's first two days. I have to wonder if there will be hardly any Class III exams in a couple of years after the community has acclimated to the new system.

Last edited:
From AOPA:

"As of April 26, 529 pilots had complied with all the required steps and received BasicMed completion certificates."

This occurred in BasicMed's first two days. I have to wonder if there will be hardly any Class III exams in a couple of years.
WOW, 529 pilots and the start date hasn't even arrived. Sounds like the sky isn't falling.

:rolleyes:

Amazed

Unless you're one of those pitiable souls who wants to start flying, in which case you have to go try and get a third-class medical first and roll the dice of risking a permanent denial.

Don't get me wrong, this proposal is certainly better for those of us that already have had a medical and not had it denied (though it could be better... "anus" and "genito-urinary tract", really? :rolleyes: ). But I know several people flying gliders and ultralights and LSA's who'd like to finish their powered license... and can't because even though they'd be able to pass Basicmed, there's too big a chance that they'd be denied a third-class.

There are all of the other little contradictions and nonsensical items in there too, but it's the inability to go straight to this process without a "regular" third class medical first that's the big gaping hole.

Basic Med IMO is the greatest achievement in 50 years for GA. Everyone's situation is different along with the benefit this brings to each of us. Embrace the positive change. I have been waiting for this for six years and our Reprentatives both in Congress and AOPA/EAA have delivered. Let's go fly and celebrate this wonderful hobby we all love so much.

The physical/checklist is not legal unless initiated May 1st & beyond.
Mine is scheduled for May 4th

Where did you read that.

I don't believe this is the case, otherwise AOPA wouldn't be touting the fact that 500 people have already completed the process. It is correct that you cannot legally fly with this stuff prior to May 1.

The rule seems to pretty clearly indicate that the physical/sign-off was "completed within the prior 4 years."

Larry

Question ?

Well guys and gals, I have a question/ since I didnt previously hold a 3rd class medical, I know that i will have to get that exam before any of this takes place. So--were there any changes to the approved medications list from the FAA, since supposedly the Basic Med will be approved by our family Dr ( or someone else) that has put us on the med in the first place? I know that the FAA had some heartburn over certain drugs used for Hypertension, or kidney functions.

It would be interesting to find out from any AME's that just happen to be on VAF. In my case, after the surgery incident of 2 years ago, they changed ALL the meds to try any find out what happened. I dont know if the current meds are 'approved' or not, but my family DR prescribed them to me.

Any ideas, or am I shooting my dream in the foot?

Tom

I find it interesting that you can kill one passenger, going a little slower, with a drivers license. But it takes a doctors signature to kill 5 passengers going faster.
If safety was the issue, why not make all have a signature or none? Are you more safe with a ticket than without?
Just stirring the pot :)

I find it interesting that you can kill one passenger, going a little slower, with a drivers license. But it takes a doctors signature to kill 5 passengers going faster.
If safety was the issue, why not make all have a signature or none? Are you more safe with a ticket than without?
Just stirring the pot :)

The pot has been stirred aplenty.......but the stirring ain't gonna change anything....... ;)

AME

My regular AME is offering Basic Med exams. Same cost as a 3rd class. Seems the easiest way to go - if not bit more expensive

An interesting aspect of the new program is that the in the process of taking the AOPA or MAYO online training and test many pilots will become better informed that they would by just spending 10 minutes with a General Practitioner. I know that most of us already are pretty well informed but a refresher on the specific aspects of aviation medicine as they relate to us every now and then may be worthwhile. Not all of us learned this stuff at the foot of a Flight Surgeon.

I think that this may be one of the biggest wins in the whole thing.

-Larosta

Tom,

Read the AOPA article linked below, especially the paragraph titled "Medication usage under BasicMed". Also, at the bottom of the article there is a link to AOPA's Medication Database.

https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/medical-resources/medications-database

By reading this, the good news is that the list is not automatically disqualifying. It is only a reflection of the FAA's opinion and your Dr. will decide if any medication will affect a patients ability to operate a motor vehicle / airplane. At least that is my interpretation of that document.

Larry

Not my AME

Called my AME that did my 3rd class med last year here in SoCal to schedule a BasicMed exam. Silly me. He advised that he wont be doing BasicMed. So trying the DOT Doc route next week.

Thanks Carl, we appreciate it. And thanks for the med info. Because i've never had , nor been turned down for a 3rd class, and really at this point in my life NEEDING one :)eek:), its seems that I may not be the only one rowing in this boat, especially now that the Basic Med is in play. I foresee many new pilots coming on board.

OH---is there a better way to get a list of approved ---or more precisely unapproved meds other than paying for the AOPA membership? It would be really good to know if any of the meds I currently take are some that the FAA doesnt particularly like BEFORE I go to a AME to get my medical. As I understand it, I have to have a 3rd class medical by a AME, before the Basic Med comes into effect. Or am I incorrect?
Mel, Turner, anyone?
Tom

If other AME's get on board, this may by one of the better side effects. The ability to to get an exam from an AME without the fear of denial. If it goes well and you know you will pass, then do the 3rd class exam.

My regular AME is offering Basic Med exams. Same cost as a 3rd class. Seems the easiest way to go - if not bit more expensive

Basic Med IMO is the greatest achievement in 50 years for GA. Everyone's situation is different along with the benefit this brings to each of us. Embrace the positive change. I have been waiting for this for six years and our Reprentatives both in Congress and AOPA/EAA have delivered. Let's go fly and celebrate this wonderful hobby we all love so much.

I agree. Lots of folks are getting wrapped around the axle, but I don't see any negatives here. It does what Congress mandated. I read the instructions and it seems pretty clear to me that the Dr. you use will determine if you are OK to fly with specific conditions, meds, etc. The link to current FAA approved meds is informational for the Dr., but it is up to him/her to decide if you are OK or not using specific meds or with specific conditions.

Thanks Carl, we appreciate it. And thanks for the med info. Because i've never had , nor been turned down for a 3rd class, and really at this point in my life NEEDING one :)eek:), its seems that I may not be the only one rowing in this boat, especially now that the Basic Med is in play. I foresee many new pilots coming on board.

OH---is there a better way to get a list of approved ---or more precisely unapproved meds other than paying for the AOPA membership? It would be really good to know if any of the meds I currently take are some that the FAA doesnt particularly like BEFORE I go to a AME to get my medical. As I understand it, I have to have a 3rd class medical by a AME, before the Basic Med comes into effect. Or am I incorrect?
Mel, Turner, anyone?
Tom

If you have not had a class III medical in the last 10 years, you must get one before being eligible to use basic med

Mel, Turner, anyone?
Tom

Tom,

The FAA medicine guidelines are here -

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/pharm/dni_dnf/

And a private aviation medical website list, which may be easier to use, here -

https://www.leftseat.com/medcat1.htm

Good luck... gil

If you have not had a class III medical in the last 10 years, you must get one before being eligible to use basic med

I think the way it's phrased is that you must have held a valid medical on or after July 2006. (The actual medical may have been 5 years earlier if you're under 40).

Yep---I sort of knew that, but also knew that the FAA was somewhat picky on the meds we can take. I remember back in the 80's when my dad was just getting his license, FAA grounded him for a hypertensive med. After changing it, to something THEY wanted, it gave him vertigo, and he stopped flying.
So, not wanting to go down the same path--I mean I'm 60 and do take some meds, I wanted to know BEFORE I went to see a AME. That way if there was something they didnt like, my DR could change it around, and I hopefully would not get turned down. Gee that would be a major bummer as alot of you already know.

I did go on the AOPA site as suggested, but you have to be a paying member to get the info. Fortunately, I have a very good client that offered to get me the info. To him, my sincere appreciation, and he knows who he is.

The whole point (NOW) is that I have access to be able to fly in a 7A with a good friend and really get the feel of how my 7 will be, if I ever finish it. If for some crazy reason that we havent thought of and I'm not cleared for a 3rd class, then it may result in doing a LSA, which changes things dramatically for us.

So----if there are any AME's on VAF---I think the member would like to hear from you.

Tom

Yep---I sort of knew that, but also knew that the FAA was somewhat picky on the meds we can take. I remember back in the 80's when my dad was just getting his license, FAA grounded him for a hypertensive med. After changing it, to something THEY wanted, it gave him vertigo, and he stopped flying.
So, not wanting to go down the same path--I mean I'm 60 and do take some meds, I wanted to know BEFORE I went to see a AME. That way if there was something they didnt like, my DR could change it around, and I hopefully would not get turned down. Gee that would be a major bummer as alot of you already know.

I did go on the AOPA site as suggested, but you have to be a paying member to get the info. Fortunately, I have a very good client that offered to get me the info. To him, my sincere appreciation, and he knows who he is.

The whole point (NOW) is that I have access to be able to fly in a 7A with a good friend and really get the feel of how my 7 will be, if I ever finish it. If for some crazy reason that we havent thought of and I'm not cleared for a 3rd class, then it may result in doing a LSA, which changes things dramatically for us.

So----if there are any AME's on VAF---I think the member would like to hear from you.

Tom

Tom,

Some AME's will review your situation outside of the formal process to determine what kind of issues you may have with approval. The key is not to put the details into the FAA system. From my research, an AME can review your situation with you and if there are potential problems you won't be disqualified simply because your informally shared the information with an AME. This assumes that you didn't start the formal process by submitting the completed form. It may also be that you can complete the form, as long as the AME doesn't submit it. You'll want to discuss that with the AME before doing anything.

Larry

Tom,

Some AME's will review your situation outside of the formal process to determine what kind of issues you may have with approval. The key is not to put the details into the FAA system. From my research, an AME can review your situation with you and if there are potential problems you won't be disqualified simply because your informally shared the information with an AME. This assumes that you didn't start the formal process by submitting the completed form. It may also be that you can complete the form, as long as the AME doesn't submit it. You'll want to discuss that with the AME before doing anything.

Larry

Yes, ask your AME for a "Pre-Medical" meeting to get your paperwork straight.

I did this over the phone with my AME to make sure I had the exact records he wanted at the medical. In my case it was whether removed cancerous polyps would be counted as colon cancer. They were not, but it needed detailed specific records and a call by the AME to OK City.

As others have said, once he has started the medical in the FAA computer, it must be completed that day, one way or the other.

AME vs Ins

Just renewed my 3rd class medical here in Western Michigan and talked with my AME about Basic Med and he went off saying there is no chance he or any of his partners will be doing them basically because of liability through their provider network and feels that most of the primary care physicians in the area will not be either. Sounds like once again its the insurance company making the rules. Time to start applying pressure through the legal channels in their direction.

Just renewed my 3rd class medical here in Western Michigan and talked with my AME about Basic Med and he went off saying there is no chance he or any of his partners will be doing them basically because of liability through their provider network and feels that most of the primary care physicians in the area will not be either. Sounds like once again its the insurance company making the rules. Time to start applying pressure through the legal channels in their direction.

Why don't we give it few months...I suspect this time next year this discussion will be moot. :)

Back