What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any reason not to use Van's FI fuel pump?

Iluke

Well Known Member
Hi everyone;

I'm getting to the point where I will soon need to buy a high pressure fuel pump and install it. I see lots of discussion about the Andair and EFII alternatives to the Airflow Performance pump Van sells.

A question for those of you who have Vans pump; Are you happy with it? Would you use it again?

Thanks,
Ivan

I recommend the Air Flow Performance fuel pump and filter for any fuel injected engine.

13 years on an RV-8A and 4 years on an RV-10 - flawless.

Carl

Ask the right folks

Do you know what brand of FI you plan to install on the engine-----might consult with the FI manufacture for their recommendations.

I got a Vans ES AIRFLOW FUEL PUMP in 2004. When I went for first engine start a month ago it would not pump although it was turning. We pulled the pump out of the Airflow assembly and found that it was an Airtex E2315 and used submersible by various automotive manufacturers. Got an identical replacement from a local auto parts store delivered the next morning way cheaper and faster than from Airlow. Installed it and it is working great. Funny thing is, the paperwork that came with the pump stated - not for aircraft use.

PS - I did run the original pump dry for a second or two various times during check out. Somewhere I got that dry running was not a problem but now I wonder.

PS - I did run the original pump dry for a second or two various times during check out. Somewhere I got that dry running was not a problem but now I wonder.[/QUOTE said:
Yep - the instructions warn against running the pump if dry. Any brand for that matter.

Carl

Any responses to the original question? I'm going to make a fuel pump decision soon and I'm wondering about that too.

I have done it both ways more than a few times. I would probably use vans system because it just is easier and works well. When I would install a different pump it seemed to take longer and the cost was similar. Having to design the brackets and make decisions about where to mount the stuff ECT, unless you enjoy the challenge, can be a pain. I?m sure that the majority of FI RVs are using Vans units UNLESS the FI system you are using requires something different. Hope this helps.

Say Hi to the older Livermore gang, I used to fly out of there. Great airport!

Larry

Ask if the pump is self priming!

Hello Ray

Ask if your new pump is self priming or not!

On a low wing plane it could happen that you empty one fueltank. Then you switch to the other ... if the fuel pump is not self priming, your plane become a glider soon!

Not all pumps mentioned here are self priming!

For sure, the engine driven fuel pump is helping to fill the line. In a high wing plane no problem, but in an low wing plane ... I would not take the risk.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards, Dominik

I went with the Airflow pump that Van's recommended on my RV-7A. Could I have gotten it cheaper? I don't know. There are some parts where cheap wasn't much of a priority for me. I knew it dependable.

The reputation, I've found in the 4 years I've been flying, was deserved. If cheap is your thing, anything cheaper will do, probably.

Hi Ivan,

I'm putting in the Van's / Airflow pump right now - I have not heard any negative comments yet about it. I did discover that the new -1 pump is plumbed differently than the plans show, actually much easier since you don't have to run a return line back to the selector valve now.

I have read that most (who commented about it) say that they only use the pump for takeoff, starting/priming, and some use it while switching tanks - so if you use it that way I don't see how you might damage it by running the pump dry.

Also, I'd suggest not drilling or mounting the bracket for the pump until you have the tubing all bent and hooked up - I ended up with the pump mounted about 2" further outboard since that is almost a straight line from the hole in the gear tower to the hole in the firewall. I like that better anyway - more room for my big feet.

In my case I used what was supplied by Vans. My decision was made easy by the admonition from many people that, of all the places to deviate from the plans, the fuel system should be off limits unless there is a lot of good info and fleet flight hours that the deviation won't create unintended problems. Vans system works and is reliable and has a huge number of fleet hours on it. That's why I went that direction. I'm not sure what advantages you gain by experimenting in this area. Does it gain performance? Price? Does it eliminate a failure mode? Is it lighter or easier? I'm just asking because I genuinely don't know what's out there. Once you figure out the advantages and disadvantages, you have to determine what you're willing to risk to go a different route. Fuel system problems scare me. I know of one guy who did some modifications on his fuel system (different aircraft) to eliminate an irritation and created genuine engine out emergencies. He still hasn't figured out what is causing the problems.

Back