What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Speaking of EI systems? G3 Ignition

RV7Guy

Well Known Member
The recent thread about Light speed mentioned the g3 ignition system. After reading the web site, it looks interesting. Is anyone using this system yet?
http://www.g3ignition.com/

My new engine Barrett/Lycoming IO390 has Slick Mags. the G3 systems looks like a perfect fit.

I'm still healing from pulling arrows out of my chest for being on the front lines of several "new" products. Not gonna do it again.

Thanks in advance.

There are a few that I've heard about, but you would still be on the front lines with this system...very promising though! I thought I would use this system at one point, but decided against it being so new.

You don't like Lightspeed?

Don't know the answer ...

but glad you asked. I was thinking the same thing while reading the Lightspeed thread. I've got a single PII which is working fine but I'm already thinking about the next plane :)

how new is new???

most of these EI systems start somewhere. ....some kind of sensor sends a crank position to a processor that adjusts and tells the coils, 'spark now'.

...I guess as we are the 'experimenters' ,we need to research and make an informed descision.

the Electroair systems uses GM HEI coils which have been around since the early 70's. Cheap, quite reliable etc. How they are incorporated into a complete system is the bigger question. What are the failure points? A $3 wire or $40 sensor is usually the culprit, as well as less than ideal installations.

the G3 IIRC uses Mallory off-road racing stuff, again, proven over a lot of miles of harsh conditions.

I'm sure the Lightspeed is similar.
Perhaps P-Mag stray a bit from this format with their integrated coil unit.

If one digs into the history of the units, and finds a common thread of failures, perhaps that tells more than a bunch of sucessful installations on new engines in pristine planes.

G3 Ignition

Anyone interested in the G3 Ignition should contact Larry Vetterman. I believe that Larry has been running the system for well over a year. He posted some early remarks about the G3 on VAF but I can't find them.

Anyone interested in the G3 Ignition should contact Larry Vetterman. I believe that Larry has been running the system for well over a year. He posted some early remarks about the G3 on VAF but I can't find them.

He does talk about the G3 here: http://www.vettermanexhaust.com/

The following is a snipet off his site:

Before I started the prop tests, I was very interested in the new electronic ignition that I had seen on the web. www.g3ignition.com . I called Tom and he agreed to install one on my 7A. I found the installation was simple for even me as electricity and I just don't get along. I tell people that I am so electrically challenged that I hire my neighbor to change my flashlight batteries. Oh well, I would bet that some electronics guru can't weld either. The hardest part of the installation was removing the Bendix mags. and installing the post that hooks up the G3. Now after flying it almost 100 hours, here are the reasons that I really like the G3. #1. Easy to install, even I could follow the wiring diagrams. 2. the system uses the existing mags and if there is an electrical failure, the mags operate normally. 3. the engine starts very well both hot and cold. 4. I can now run lean of peak if desired whereas before my M1B, with standard mags balked at anything beyond peak EGT. 5. I see a lower ghp with the G3 vs standard mags. 6. The M1B engine is extremely smooth with the G3. 7. I used the expensive Champion fine wire spark plugs(I had a set on the shelf) gapped to .021 however I understand that an inexpensive automotive plug can also be used.

In every test conducted with both props, there is a definite engine smoothness noted with the G3 on vs operating in the standard mag mode.

Thanks Bob

Larry sent me a back line email with that information. Looks like a nice system. I'll call Tom tomorrow and talk with him.

It will be a few months before I'm ready and should be healed from the last of the arrows:mad:

Maybe he'd be up for a group buy!!!!

Dahwin,

I really like that system also. It is my choice.

I stopped by their booth at OSH and went to dinner with them.

I think it is hard to beat.

I am sold on it.

:) CJ

Yah Dahwin! I think I scared them when I polished off that 74 ounce prime rib though!

1:1, I am not sure what the most common mag failure might be but the ignition system only enhances the mags performance by boosting the spark. Any failure of the G# system would result in a failure of the boosted spark, not the mag function.

So in a nutshell, the G3 ignition system is just as reliable as any good old fashioned magneto (and they are pretty darned reliable)!

Does that help?

:confused: CJ

Bugsy, That is the way I understand it. The spark is more "intense" and longer in duration. It uses the mag as a trigger.

The technology is borrowed from the old hot rod style Mallory ignition. It does for magnetos what it did for hot rods before electronic ignition became standard equipment in autos.

Not Mallory!

Bugsy, That is the way I understand it. The spark is more "intense" and longer in duration. It uses the mag as a trigger.

The technology is borrowed from the old hot rod style Mallory ignition. It does for magnetos what it did for hot rods before electronic ignition became standard equipment in autos.

Small point, it is not based on Mallory ignition stuff but rather MSD, it uses either a MSD 6A ignition box or he has one which has the MSD module built into his interface. MSD is extremely durable and well tested stuff. Much better than Mallory, yuk!!!

Thanks CJ and Danny. Basically what I feel is that an EI is generally lower maintenance (maybe an incorrect assumption) than a mag, which equates to "more reliable" (again, maybe incorrect). So with the G3, it's nice that it reverts back to a standard mag function if the EI fails, but it seems more likely that the mag would fail, possibly making the eintire system only as reliable as the mag:confused: I guess there could be some mag failures that the MSD could mask or work through, and others where it takes out the whole system?

I really like the concept, I guess I just need to edumacate meself on it more thoroughly:D

It only uses the points in the mag for a timing signal when operating in G3 mode, so I expect that the points will actually wear less, as there is no arc generated across the points as they open.

I have one now, and it seems to be a pretty good system, and it definitely improves the smothness.

It only uses the points in the mag for a timing signal when operating in G3 mode, so I expect that the points will actually wear less, as there is no arc generated across the points as they open.

I have one now, and it seems to be a pretty good system, and it definitely improves the smothness.

John,
Have you seen an improvement in fuel burn? My buddy and I both spent a lot of time at their booth at Oshkosh last summer and were both impressed with the static display. He is going to put one on his Cozy MKIV IO-360 this spring. Just wondering if fuel burn would be a little better.

... What are the failure points? A $3 wire or $40 sensor is usually the culprit, as well as less than ideal installations.
Perhaps P-Mag stray a bit from this format with their integrated coil unit.
Funny but E-mag removed all the $3 wires and $40 sensors and put them all in one unit and you don't like it? :rolleyes:

Their early failures were attributed to two things, the sensor magnet mount and a lost timing mark under certain conditions/configurations. Those two things were resolved a year and a half ago. Since then many hours have been flown behind these things without any issue.

The best part is their customer service. When I had my prop strike all they charged me was shipping there and back, $65. For that they tested both of my P-mags, disassembled them and tested the components, reassembled and tested them again. All that and they found nothing. Try getting that kind of customer service from some of the other EI vendors.

The best part is their customer service

Funny but E-mag removed all the $3 wires and $40 sensors and put them all in one unit and you don't like it? :rolleyes:

Their early failures were attributed to two things, the sensor magnet mount and a lost timing mark under certain conditions/configurations. Those two things were resolved a year and a half ago. Since then many hours have been flown behind these things without any issue.

The best part is their customer service. When I had my prop strike all they charged me was shipping there and back, $65. For that they tested both of my P-mags, disassembled them and tested the components, reassembled and tested them again. All that and they found nothing. Try getting that kind of customer service from some of the other EI vendors.

Bill?s ?right on? the customer service part, most important. ?Not to be mushy? This EI business started way back for me with my personal aircraft projects and the simple/clear passion for aviation, which continues very strong. I am fortunate and grateful to meet new friends and have the opportunity to share in each and everyone?s aviation enthusiasm. To everyone that stopped by our G3i booth last year in KOSH, thank you and we will be in the same spot this year. Looking forward to meeting and seeing you/all again.
Thomas Shpakow
www.g3ignition.com

Bill?s ?right on? the customer service part, most important. ?Not to be mushy? This EI business started way back for me with my personal aircraft projects and the simple/clear passion for aviation, which continues very strong. I am fortunate and grateful to meet new friends and have the opportunity to share in each and everyone?s aviation enthusiasm. To everyone that stopped by our G3i booth last year in KOSH, thank you and we will be in the same spot this year. Looking forward to meeting and seeing you/all again.
Thomas Shpakow
www.g3ignition.com

Thomas, What are you currently flying with your ignition on it?

Super Acro Duster

Thomas, What are you currently flying with your ignition on it?

Scott, he is the one that had the Super Acro Duster down at LOE if I remember correctly. Look at the gallery section of his website.
Awesome looking aircraft for sure!

Scott, he is the one that had the Super Acro Duster down at LOE if I remember correctly. Look at the gallery section of his website.
Awesome looking aircraft for sure!

Thanks. I guess I haven't been paying attention. Going for a napkin to wipe the drool off of my chin now...

G3i

Reviving an old thread…Does anyone have anymore time behind this system? I’ve seen a few aircraft with this ignition system installed, and Owners all had positive comments. But I just haven’t heard much on the open forums about it.

Back