What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO390 Dip Stick tube issue

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I figured I would put this out there. I could not get the dip stick tube in place--this is the tube that attaches to the engine. It kept cross threading and I could not get it to tighten by hand. I tried to fix it, but i could not get it to thread in.

I emailed Jeff at Lycoming and they painted and sent me a new one. This one threaded in by hand with absolutely no issues.

The point is that if you have a bad one, then Lycoming will replace it with a good one.

cheers

And after you install it safety wire it in both directions so it doesn't move in either direction when you tighten or loosen the dip stick. Really helped stop the leaks when someone suggested I do this.

Ron B--

so I guess you have to drill a couple of holes in the tabs at the base of the dip stick tube to install the safety wires?

thanks for the tip

ken

Tom-

I would just email Lycoming and they might send a new one for free. I don't think that I damaged mine. I was super careful and it would just not thread on. After a few tries, I did mess up the threads and it was all downhill from there.

I think that it just how some of them are cut at the bottom

Back