What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 696/796 amp draw.

Captain Avgas

Well Known Member
I'm doing a power load analysis and I would appreciate it if any-one with a Garmin 696 or 796 can advise me how many amps the device consumes in continuous operation.

I have my 696 on a 1 amp fuse and it's never "blown", did not see a spec on it in the manual.

Mine is 1.7 amps

That is with XM running and steady state like you would typically see in flight. I did not measure boot up. Bat was about 2/3 charged and some of that current would have been charging the battery. It is a 696

I'm doing a power load analysis and I would appreciate it if any-one with a Garmin 696 or 796 can advise me how many amps the device consumes in continuous operation.

Last edited:
696 Power Draw

Just for reference, I had my VPX configured for a 2 amp draw for the 696 and it would trip every time. Setting it to 3 amps (which required a pin reassignment) and will let you know if it was successful. At least now, that circuit can draw up to 5 amps so it will be just a software change if it does not work, as opposed to assigning a different pin.

The 795 has a 3A inline fuse. When it's internal battery needs a small amount of charging and the unit is operating at full brightness, I see 1.7A pretty consistently.

updates

Upon further investigation, the 696 was on a 1 amp circuit that I moved to a max 5 amp circuit that is set at 3 amps. I am sure it will not have any problems and was probable drawing just over 1 amp when it would trip (charging the battery).

Just for reference, I had my VPX configured for a 2 amp draw for the 696 and it would trip every time. Setting it to 3 amps (which required a pin reassignment) and will let you know if it was successful. At least now, that circuit can draw up to 5 amps so it will be just a software change if it does not work, as opposed to assigning a different pin.

Back