What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOA

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
RV-8 with a heated pitot probe but no AOA. Seems like the easiest install for my AFS 5500 EFIS is to get the Dynon heated pitot/AOA to replace the current system. Probably will require removing the left tank for easy access to mounting the additional line and to install the controller box but at first look it seems like a pretty straightforward install.

Recently I’ve been flying my buddy’s RV-8 with a Garmin cockpit with the AOA display on the glare shield. This along with the aural tones is far better than looking inside at an EFIS. I don’t look at his AOA display much on final, mostly just looking outside, cross checking airspeed and listening for the tones.

If I do install the Dynon Pitot/AOA is there a compatible display similar to the Garmin GI-260 that would work with a Dynon system?

The Dynon HDX with tones only rocks! It made a world of difference in this neo's TW landings! :D

There should be no need to remove the gas tank to run the AOA tubing.

For what its worth, AOA visual indication, for me, is useless. I’m too busy looking out the window. The SkyView AOA tones however are gold.

Carl

…and

Garmin tones are nice, too. The visual indication on the EFIS is also nice when flying an IMC approach…

My AOA originally used in-wing ports connected to my EFIS (the 4500s supported it). When I upgraded my AFS 4500s to a 5400, I noted that in-wing AOA wasn't supported. I already had a Dynon heated pitot but now I had to plumb it...running tubing from the pitot to the new Dynon ADAHRS which now sat right behind the bulkhead. It wasn't easy. Only other option would have been to buy a stand-alone AOA system with display on the glare shield. That could have used the already-plumbed in-wing ports, but like you I wanted the flexibility of the Dynon display on the 5400 rather than a stand-alone display on the dash. Works great.

I ran the AOA tubing through the black flexible conduit that builder had put in the wing at the back edge of that wing inspection panel right where the pitot is. Getting from the wing into the fuselage was only a little tricky. Only new tools I needed were a flexible fiberglass rod and a big hemostat. I found both at Harbor Freight...total cost was about $12.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-inch-x-33-ft-fiberglass-wire-running-kit-65326.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-locking-clamp-94952.html

Attachments

• IMG_8558.jpg
    IMG_8558.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Back