What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are 7&8 wings interchangeable?

No - I believe Jay Pratt just dealt with this exact scenario on his latest RV8. Had to find a different set of wings.

It may be possible to take a completed set of -8 wings and use them for a -7 - but not the other way around.

If you look at the -7 plans (see DWG 10A [detail "C"] and DWG 38), the difference is in the rear spar. The rear spar on the -7 gets trimmed to a smaller profile. So the material on the rear spar exists on a -8 wing build - which allows it to be removed and profiled for a -7 application. This is why I believe the -8 wings could go on the -7, but not vice-versa.

RV8 narrow tandem, RV7 Wide Side By Side. This affects wing attachment.

You are absolutely correct about the width, sir. But that width is a function of the carry-through spar through the fueselage, not the wing itself. Again, I'm not sure it is possible to use -8 wings for -7, but Van's uses the same drawings for both airplanes. The major difference (as I see, and addressed above) is the size of the rear spar attachment. It is smaller on the -7, and trimmed to that size per DWG 38.

Last edited:
Back