What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carburetor bowl removal

Does anyone have a simple way to remove the carb bowls for cleaning and float inspection. Every time I weigh my floats its an exercise in futility removing air filters, trying to twist carbs and spilling fuel. I must be making it too difficult. Any sage advice?

How I do it;

Loosen air cleaner clamp, remove air cleaner, right side has to be worked around hoses. Loosen carburetor boot clamp, pull carb back out of boot. At this point you can lift the carb a bit and release the bail and drop the bowl.

This may be what you are doing and having a tight boot is a challenge. I wiggle side to side, up and down trying not to rotate too much.

It can all be done without removing or disconnecting the control cables, just take care not to kink them while moving the carb around.

Last edited:
How I do it;

Loosen air cleaner clamp, remove air cleaner, right side has to be worked around hoses. Loosen carburetor boot clamp, pull carb back out of boot. At this point you can lift the carb a bit and release the bail and drop the bowl.

This may be what you are doing and having a tight boot is a challenge. I wiggle side to side, up and down trying not to rotate too much.

It can all be done without removing or disconnecting the control cables, just take care not to kink them while moving the carb around.

Thank you seagull and Piper J3!

Back